Best RAM arrangement?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Best RAM arrangement?

Post by Sedwick »

I'll soon be adding two 1GB DDR2 modules to my 3-year-old system's existing gig, which split across two 512MB modules. I currently have one 512MB module in the first of two slots in each of two channels. For the best performance from Windows XP, should I put both new 1GB modules in the first channel and the two 512MB modules in the second channel, or put a 1GB then 512MB in each channel? Or does it not matter? Thanks...
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Best RAM arrangement?

Post by Krom »

Doesn't matter as long as they are matched pairs in the appropriate slots.

Actually it will be a hair (but not noticeably) slower because 4 sticks combined has a higher capacitance and can't operate at the same clock and timings as 2 sticks, this is a limitation of physics and cannot be overcome. Although just having more memory will probably cancel out the bulk of the performance impact from it.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

UPDATE! I finally got around to installing the new SIMMs, and I wish I had done it months ago. There is far less disk activity, programs switch, load, and shut down faster. I forgot what it was like to go into standby in 4 seconds! I went with the 1GB then 512MB in each bank.

I've also read some things suggesting my XP Pro might not need a page file now that I have 3GB. I've also heard some programs refuse to run if you don't have it, and that weirdness sometimes occurs. What if I just set the page file to be very small, or at least under 4GB? Any thoughts?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The XP automatic management probably already has the page file set to less than 2 GB, so I'd just leave it alone since it won't hurt anything.