Does this Bother You ?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Does this Bother You ?

Post by woodchip »

Seems the TSA is going from the airways to the high ways. Whats really disturbing (at least to me) is they're asking drivers to report suspicious activity while they drive. Is this not what the old KGB used to require from the Russian citizens? The new road rage will be to report someone so they get pulled over while you get a good laugh:

"Agents are recruiting truck drivers, like Rudy Gonzales, into the First Observer Highway Security Program to say something if they see something.

"Not only truck drivers, but cars, everybody should be aware of what's going on, on the road," said Gonzales.

It's all meant to urge every driver to call authorities if they see something suspicious."

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/15725 ... -statewide

So is the TSA the new goonsquad ? Thoughts please.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re: Does this Bother You ?

Post by CUDA »

Sorry In Oregon it's against the Law for me to use my cell phone to make a call while driving.

but but officer I was just doing my civic duty and narking on that speeder to the TSA :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Sounds alot like China's family planning legislation. They recruit people from among the public to watch and report any unauthorized pregnancies and as a preventative measure, they have the women in the factories provide a pad with evidence of their menstrual blood to eliminate any secret pregnancies.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

flip wrote:Sounds alot like China's family planning legislation. They recruit people from among the public to watch and report any unauthorized pregnancies and as a preventative measure, they have the women in the factories provide a pad with evidence of their menstrual blood to eliminate any secret pregnancies.
...and this is like calling in about strange stuff on the highway...how? :P

(oh god now i'm reading innuendo into that)
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I dunno, I tend to look too far ahead sometimes. It's the precedent that it sets that could then lead to what is currently happening in China. I would think that normally anyone who sees a drunk driver would be compelled on their own to report that person, which is how it is now in this country.
"Agents are recruiting truck drivers, like Rudy Gonzales, into the First Observer Highway Security Program to say something if they see something
When they start "recruiting" people from within the population to do it anonymously,well, that is the exact thought and intent of the Chinese law. The circumstances may be different but the spirit is the same.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

The TSA bothers me, period :x
si vis pacem, para bellum
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

What bothers me is this all points to the probability that they have good intel about terrorist attacks using road vehicles are in our future, most likely a large truck loaded with something really bad and it's going to go boom in city or town near some of us.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Well, for whatever reason, you can bet a group of people who were considering the near future, thought it a good idea to start making the public suspicious of each other. You can bet wherever theses "recruits" go, it will be with a critical eye. Kinda like the chineses :P
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

......And honestly reporting suspicious things happening on highways is a pretty weak last line of defense.

The place to apprehend people trying to drive trucks full of explosives is at the procurement/loading/arming stage, not the driving to the destination stage.

A smart and dedicated terrorist will make their truck look typical enough that you won't suspect a thing until it explodes.

That's just my opinion, though.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Even at that, how many weigh stations do you think these truckers would have to pass to get to their destination undetected? As soon as they pass a weigh station without stopping the DOT would pursue them. Yeah your right Snoopy, it would make loads more sense to just have a heightened awareness at all weigh stations.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Flatlander wrote:The TSA bothers me, period :x

safe transportation not your cup of tea? :roll:
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

If you were to try and think of what he meant, I would guess he was criticizing the TSA's tactics, not it's existence.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

flip wrote:If you were to try and think of what he meant, I would guess he was criticizing the TSA's tactics, not it's existence.

the English language provides ample means to express that, without you or me guessing. His words did not.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Heh. :P I was able though but I give that credit to the Word. A discerner of thoughts and the intents of the heart ;)
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:Seems the TSA is going from the airways to the high ways. Whats really disturbing (at least to me) is they're asking drivers to report suspicious activity while they drive. Is this not what the old KGB used to require from the Russian citizens? The new road rage will be to report someone so they get pulled over while you get a good laugh:

"Agents are recruiting truck drivers, like Rudy Gonzales, into the First Observer Highway Security Program to say something if they see something.

"Not only truck drivers, but cars, everybody should be aware of what's going on, on the road," said Gonzales.

It's all meant to urge every driver to call authorities if they see something suspicious."

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/15725 ... -statewide

So is the TSA the new goonsquad ? Thoughts please.

Beyond Rudy's words, I've seen exactly no evidence that the TSA is recruiting run of the mill car drivers. Sure, everyone should report legitimately scary stuff, and the professionals will sort it out. But, the concept of professional over-the-road truckers watching for odd behavior from other commercial truck drivers, or operators of large trucks doesn't strike me as heavyhanded.
They would lose their livelihood for one bogus call-in, for starters. Secondly, the likelyhood of some sort of truck bomb attack in these modern times is by no means far-fetched, so why not recruit all the eyes you can?
George Orwell---"1984"
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

To follow on slicks point, there is just no way that weigh stations are 100% effective at catching a trucker who wants to slip by one without being inspected so who better to spot a truck sneaking through than another trucker who probably knows all the tricks himself?
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I'm not disputing that, although I don't see how any normal human being could know. I just ran down I-20 for about 50 minutes, the only thing I would be able to report is if someone was driving erratically. The weigh stations could implement x-ray machines at certain intervals, not even all of them. Much more effective than human instinct. No, these kind of things breed distrust and not community, which would be just as effective to build communities and that mindset. If everyone was encouraged to look out after their neighbor and to care for one another, would accomplish the same thing.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The TSA and Homeland Security. What a nice creation to protect our butts from the terrorist boogeyman. Bush and crew's brilliant knee-jerk (or power grab) response to 9/11 by the way. Didn't hear much griping about it back then when most of the country was psychotic with panic during all that terror fear-mongering by Bush and crew either. We have reaped what we have sown, and yes, Obama and his crew have only made it grow into a repressive monster. All so that Republican's can't find an excuse to blame him for some future terrorist attack. And if you think McCain would have done any different, I've got a bridge to sell you............ :mrgreen:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

What OTR truckers can accomplish is reporting irregularities at truck stops and the like. As Will stated, weigh stations likely won't cut it, as, due to state reductions is expenses, a lot of them are closed half the time. I go back and forth between PA and VA pretty regularly, and seldom see the truck stops operational, in which case little will be discovered.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Well if a Allied Moving or Mayflower truck was getting off the expressway a few miles before the next active weigh station, no one would think twice that it might be trying to avoid the weigh station. Same with a gasoline tanker. I really don't see how a clever terrorist would ever be caught hauling explosives.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

TSA looking for more ways to waste ridiculous amounts of time and other peoples money by hassling and harassing innocent people who are the absolute overwhelming majority of travelers? Who'd have figured they would do that...
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

The Terrorists?
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

callmeslick wrote:

How many terrorists has the TSA caught?
si vis pacem, para bellum
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:

Why then do we have the FBI, CIA, NSA ? Do we need more agencies on the look out? 911 may not of even happened it the infamous "wall" was not erected by politicians so the 3 security agencies were prevented from co-ordinating information. Do you Slick, somehow think the TSA is going to do a better job than the FBI or the NSA? Or do you think we need ever more security agencies because redundancy is a good thing.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Spidey wrote:The Terrorists?
The TSA doesn't look for terrorists, they look for more ways to spend taxpayer dollars.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

As a bonus, people can get strip searched, physically and electronically, for a more pleasurable traveling experience. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Flatlander wrote:
callmeslick wrote:

since when was that their primary mission? They are the Transportation Safety Administration, not HSA....that they have been
asked to contribute some tiny bit to the overall effort strikes me as no big deal.
George Orwell---"1984"
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

callmeslick wrote:
Flatlander wrote:
callmeslick wrote:safe transportation not your cup of tea? :roll:
since when was that their primary mission? They are the Transportation Safety Administration, not HSA....that they have been
asked to contribute some tiny bit to the overall effort strikes me as no big deal.
What is the primary mission of the TSA?
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

null0010 wrote:What is the primary mission of the TSA?

safe air, highway and rail transportation. Is this a trick question?
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I guess the question is; "How much privacy are you willing to give up in the name of security and safety?" The TSA is a good example of the Boiling Frog anecdote. Slowly heat the water and the frog doesn't realize it's being boiled alive until it's too late to jump.
Benjamin Franklin wrote:They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

I'm generally very sensitive to that principle, TC, but just don't see it applying to this example.
George Orwell---"1984"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I think your exactly right TC. The trend for the last 100 years has been more and more restrictive. My father had more freedoms than I did and my children less than I. What makes anyone think we will become MORE free?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

callmeslick wrote:I'm generally very sensitive to that principle, TC, but just don't see it applying to this example.
Have you just not been flying in the US recently?

First one can't bring a set of nail clippers, then bottled water is out, then toothpaste, now they want full body scans... The TSA has definitely been turning up the temp since the moment it got behind the dial. I am honestly more willing to accept and deal with the remote risk of terrorists attempting to hijack a plane I am on than I am willing to put up with the certainty of the TSA going further to needlessly consume my time, energy, and tax dollars.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Agreed. No one lives forever, but while I am alive I would like freewill.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

callmeslick wrote:
null0010 wrote:What is the primary mission of the TSA?
safe air, highway and rail transportation. Is this a trick question?
How do they accomplish this, and how would they foil a concentrated effort to disrupt travel?

How would the TSA prevent 20 people from boarding an airplane, breaking down the door to the cockpit, and holding the plane hostage with the on-board fire axe?

How would the TSA prevent the coordinated bombing of bus transit?

How would the TSA prevent several people from hijacking construction equipment and demolishing an out-of-the-way railroad junction?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

callmeslick wrote:I'm generally very sensitive to that principle, TC, but just don't see it applying to this example.
Well, the TSA began their downhill slide when they started requiring everyone to be at the airport 2 or 3 hours before departure and making everyone wait in those long lines just for the privilege of being screened, ehem, searched, before getting on the dirty, usually delayed, overcrowded aircraft. Then we couldn't carry certain amounts of liquids in our luggage. There went shampoo and other toiletries that sometimes you can't find in at your destination. Then they started asking us to take off our shoes and stomp around on dirty airport carpets in our formerly clean socks, or worse, bare feet. The icing on the cake though, was those full body scanners that absolutely left nothing to anyone's imagination, all because of potential underwear bombs. Might as well willingly strip for them and give them real entertainment.

Oh wait, they are actually strip searching people for undergarment bombs. Diapers to be more specific. Age doesn't matter either. :shock:

http://nation.foxnews.com/culture/2011/ ... bys-diaper

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-06-26/us/f ... r?_s=PM:US

You know what's even worse? The snitty attitude of the airlines, like we're cattle to hauled at their pleasure and not our convenience. Between the TSA and the airline's attitude, I refuse to give them any business like a placid sheep waiting to get shorn.

So now, the TSA is essentially asking people to spy for them out on the highways. Rat on your fellow citizens if you think they are doing something suspicious. How well do you think that'll work out? Amongst a bunch of already terrorist paranoid people because the government said we need to watch out for ......... something????? Real great idea in thought, really lousy in application. It's creeping control by slow degrees. That's why it's so insidious. People don't know they've lost their freedom until one day, they suddenly realize they're fully controlled, can't ever get rid of it and they allowed it to happen all in the name of security. In a free society, we have to take the risk that someone might kill us on purpose. Is that any different than some drunk driver killing you because they decided to drive plastered? I don't see drunk driver laws getting more restrictive, but I sure see security getting more invasive. Where's the priories here?

By the way, most people are suspicious by nature and would probably report something weird going on to their local police anyway. We just don't need the government telling us to do it for them officially.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I agree TC. I personally think that uniformed air marshals would be a better way to do it - it gives the passengers a visible presence while not creating a huge inconvenience.

TSA is too big, and takes too many liberties, IMO.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

snoopy wrote:I agree TC. I personally think that uniformed air marshals would be a better way to do it - it gives the passengers a visible presence while not creating a huge inconvenience.

TSA is too big, and takes too many liberties, IMO.

fine. This applies to highway safety, and long haul truckers, how?
George Orwell---"1984"
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

What does the TSA do for highways and truckers?
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Uh Oh, The Riddler's back :P.