Faux Informed

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Faux Informed

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I just had to post this one to needle all the Fox News junkies here! It seems that Fox News viewers are less informed about current events according to a new poll. :mrgreen:

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la ... ?track=rss
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Faux Informed

Post by Nightshade »

I would be interested to see them take a poll about current events and/or world affairs at the 'Occupy' crowds in each city.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

ThunderBunny wrote:I would be interested to see them take a poll about current events and/or world affairs at the 'Occupy' crowds in each city.

which would reflect on Fox, how, exactly?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

How many Fox News regulars do we have here, exactly? I don't watch the news, myself.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Dan Cassino, a political science professor at Fairleigh Dickinson. wrote:The results show us that there is something about watching Fox News that leads people to do worse on these questions than those who don't watch any news at all, ...
However indirect he tried to make it, you need more than the statistics from this particular poll to say that. Fox News could pursue him for slander. That's either an ignorant or very biased statement, based on the way he phrased it. The results literally "show us" that there are a statistically lower number of people who watch Fox News and get the questions right. You could say that Fox News is not doing its job, but if you were intellectually honest you would first have to have specific examples of instances in which Fox News is not doing its job. You can't truly derive that simply from these numbers, you can only infer it. The pole should have included how much news the viewers being questioned watch on average in a week.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

We all know the only real news comes from Al Jazeera just ask Madam Clinton.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Al-Jazeera's English channel actually received a great deal of acclaim for their coverage of the Arab Spring and Libyan uprising.

And Thorne, if you want plenty of instances of Fox not doing its due diligence, just watch any given episode of the Daily Show.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Lol, I'll never have a favorite news outlet. I watch all of them except ★■◆● like Mad Money, whichever channel that is. LOL who watches that crap?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Dan Cassino, a political science professor at Fairleigh Dickinson. wrote:The results show us that there is something about watching Fox News that leads people to do worse on these questions than those who don't watch any news at all, ...
FOX news actually sucks information out of your brain. :roll:
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I'm just glad they got rid of Glenn Beck, that guy was scary propaganda -- now its just propaganda, I can handle that.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I think even many of the other talking heads on there thought Beck was legitimately certifiable. I saw a quote from Rush Limbaugh saying something to the effect that Beck probably literally believed that mutant rats were secretly running the White House. :D
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I wonder what the poll says about CNN viewers or MSNBC viewers. This tid bit was interesting:

"On Occupy Wall Street, the survey found viewers of "The Daily Show" were 12 percentage points more likely to say protesters were predominantly Democratic. MSNBC viewers were the most likely to say the protesters were mainly Republicans."
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

I watched Fox News until I listened to the radio one day and Huckabee was "reporting" how Lifelock (one of Fox new's sponsors) "really works", like it was some sort of news story.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

SilverFJ wrote:I watched Fox News until I listened to the radio one day and Huckabee was "reporting" how Lifelock (one of Fox new's sponsors) "really works", like it was some sort of news story.
Gawds! Even the liberal radio stations are doing that! How convincing can a personality be when they're spouting, "I'm giving you the straight scoop", all the while being a huckster for some sleazy product in the same breath, like gold.

As for Fox News viewers, I don't think that watching that particular news per say makes one less informed. I think what really happens is that most hard core Fox viewers don't watch anything from other sources, so they tend to miss out on other information that might be more detailed or accurate. No one source of news will give a person accurate information. But maybe I'm being too generous with Fox viewers. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.