Laptop HD failure

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Laptop HD failure

Post by woodchip »

My daughters ASUs laptop will start up but not into windows. She can get into bios but sees nothing about hd's where before she did. Does this mean HD is toast? We pulled the hd out and we're thinking of taking it to best buy to have it tested. Good idea or no? Any other possible causes for laptop to fasil to get into windows?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Laptop HD failure

Post by Krom »

If it is a SATA hard drive, you could try plugging it into a spare port in a desktop computer and see if it works or not (yes, laptop SATA drives are compatible with desktop computers, they even use the same connectors so no adapters required). I don't know if Best Buy is such a great idea though, they are overly expensive, definitely can't fix a dead hard drive and competent people are few and far in between at outfits like that.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Thanks Krom. Turns out it is a SATA drive and I could hook it up to my comp. Got into windows and didn't see it listed. Went into bios and it was listed but it said O mb for storage size. This mean HD is dead or something else going on?
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Put your ear up to it when it's running. If you here any strange mechanical sounds (usually repetitive), it's probably ruined. If not, you may be able to buy an identical hard drive, and swap logic boards. I've done that before.

Of course, the last 4 hard drives that died on me made the mechanical sounds.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Lists as 0 MB eh? That's a new one, but probably means its dead. Perhaps trying a low level format or something might get it working again, but the data on it would be gone forever. You could try using speedfan to check the S.M.A.R.T. attributes of the drive which might give you some more info, otherwise there isn't much that can be done about it.

And yeah, rhythmic clicks or sounds like the motor spinning up and down are the easily recognizable sounds of mechanical failure, but from the way you describe it showing up in BIOS it may be a firmware/board failure.

Although buying an identical drive and swapping the boards is not recommended, modern drives use on the fly customizations to the firmware as the drive is running to optimize for the defects/performance of the actual disk media underneath. Basically the drives learn how to work around their own quirks on the fly so the end result is no two drives are actually alike after they have been in use for a little while. If the data on the drive was that important, you'd have to send it to a data recovery service and those are really expensive (talking $500 USD minimum).
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

piriform's "Defraggler" now includes a SMART checker.

0MB is a new one to me aswell.....

Data recovery = arm and leg
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Krom wrote:...modern drives use on the fly customizations to the firmware as the drive is running to optimize for the defects/performance of the actual disk media underneath. Basically the drives learn how to work around their own quirks on the fly so the end result is no two drives are actually alike after they have been in use for a little while.
Really? Never knew that...