Awake

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Awake

Post by Red_5 »

New show on NBC. It's basically Inception meets NCIS and it is absolutely incredible.

So. Detective Michael Britten is involved in an epic car wreck. After the wreck, his mind splits into two realities where his wife survived in one and his son survived in the other. Clues to his cases filter back and forth between them and he has no idea which one is real.

My brain has exploded.

The first three episodes are on Hulu, and the fourth airs tonight.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Awake

Post by Tunnelcat »

Thanks. I missed that one. I'll check tonight.

You might also want to check out Grimm on NBC too. It's weird, quirky and shot in Portland, Oregon.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Alcatraz is another great show. They all remind me of Nowhere Man and another show where some guy (the main character from Prison Break) knew everything possible but not who he was.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yeah I've been meaning to take a look at it.
But with TV shows I usually buy the box sets after the season is done -- it's more convenient for a university student to be able to watch at his leisure than to have to schedule his leisure around it -- I'm sure you get why.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Alcatraz is another great show. They all remind me of Nowhere Man and another show where some guy (the main character from Prison Break) knew everything possible but not who he was.
I loved Nowhere Man. They always cancel the good ones before they get a good following. I also liked Reaper, especially Robert Wise, who played the Devil to the hilt. But, it was one of those unappreciated shows that bites the dust a little too soon. However, Awake looks like a good one to keep watching.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Did anybody catch Persons Unknown a year or two ago? Didn't last long, but it was pretty interesting - random group of people wake up in a strange mostly empty town, where they are provided for well, but can't leave. Had some promising ideas, but as with a lot of these shows, it got a bit wacky after a while.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I think the real problem with most shows like this, with Lost providing the archetypal example, is that the writers come up with a few seasons' worth of solid ideas, and maybe some vague concepts for where they might go afterwards, but they don't have a true over-arching plan for the entire series and where it's going to wind up. I think a situation where the creators know at the very beginning about how much time they'll have to work with, and the main plot points all the way through, allows for much more effective storytelling. Unfortunately, this setup doesn't mesh well with the general American TV model, where you keep producing new seasons until your ratings get too low or the creators call it quits.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Top Gun wrote:Unfortunately, this setup doesn't mesh well with the general American TV model, where you keep producing new seasons until your ratings get too low or the creators call it quits.
or even managing to get a full season aired.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

They never give these shows enough time, more than a few weeks, to get a good following. They're too concerned with ratings and advertising money.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

tunnelcat wrote:They never give these shows enough time, more than a few weeks, to get a good following. They're too concerned with ratings and advertising money.
The money that would pay for future production.

The BBC, which has no advertising, has dropped shows midway thru airing. At the end of the day, broadcasters can't afford to wait a month for a show to catch on; there is always another show waiting in the wings that might do better.