Network question w/o much info

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Network question w/o much info

Post by thewolfe »

Have an acquaintance who has re-installed Windows (?) on his machine (?) and is using a Linksys router (?)and a D-Link card (?) which was working prior to re-installation
After installation he has been unable to connect to the Internet. He's getting a prompt to push the WPA button on his router which he doesn't have.

That's all I have so far and may not be able to get more info until I get to his house on Monday. I do not think he has installed any router or card software at this point.

Anything I should try from the scant information I have so far?
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Re: Network question w/o much info

Post by AceCombat »

what version of Windows?

what Router model?

has he reset the router via reset button?

if so, use the default login for Linksys 192.168.1.1 > login and set the Wireless for whatever he wishes.

if not, use the last known credentials to login wireless or use a Ethernet cable to login wired and login locally to the router and find out what the credentials are. if he cant, refer to above.... reset the router and go from there
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Correction - I think the "WPA" could be "WPS"
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

didnt catch that, yes it is WPS
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

WPS is broken and should be disabled on the router: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Prot ... p#Security

The only wifi encryption that is still reasonably effective is WPA2 in AES only cypher mode.