Precision X wonders (GTX 670)

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

dwlpunk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Precision X wonders (GTX 670)

Post by dwlpunk »

Hello, I just recently picked up a reference EVGA GTX 670 after being completely fed up with AMD's catalyst drivers and support for 6950's in crossfire. The card runs like a dream and couldn't be happier. However I wanted to experiment with overclocking and try to get it up to maybe 680 speeds but using precision x seems to be challenging for me. i don't understand how much to overclock it and how to set voltages. fiddling with the sliders and clicking apply doesn't seem to do much and just resets it to it's default values anyway when trying to save profiles. is there a any kind of sweet spot in terms of where to put the sliders and how to i make it so it saves the settings? Thanks a lot. Appreciate any feedback.

BTW i have an Antec 100 case with a couple additional fans so cooling is no problem.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Re: Precision X wonders (GTX 670)

Post by AceCombat »

sorry i didnt see this topic earlier........

have you tried MSI Afterburner? same program base, different skins and much better OC interface..... but, your card might be locked as well.....
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Or you could simply be running into the power limit of the card, the 600 series cards are basically power throttled, so the most effective way to overclock them is to raise the power limit rather than attempting to raise the clocks. If what I have heard about the 600 series is right, with a higher power limit, turbo will kick in and the card will pretty much overclock itself (subject to the max turbo limit).
dwlpunk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by dwlpunk »

After fiddling with it a little more i got the voltage to stay at 1175mv, core clock at 1038 and memory at 1677. Ace is right the interface is what was getting me confused because it wouldn't save my settings. I think I'll try afterburner instead. After setting my card to those clocks however, I saw a very nice increase in performance in WoW, Planetside 2, and BF3. I have been playing for a couple days now and no crashes yet. Couldn't say that with dual 6950's.

it seems AMD might be selling themselves off according to bluesnews.

Thanks for the input.