Election Irregularities? Ohio, Philly, etc.

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Election Irregularities? Ohio, Philly, etc.

Post by WarAdvocat »

I know some of you guys are hard core right-wingers. Maybe you can help me. I keep hearing about all these voting irregularities through the "grapevine" if you will. "This county voted 100% democrat, that's statistically impossible", "this county had a 125% voter turn out" etc... Are any of you following this stuff? I keep searching and searching and thus far I can't find anything that confirms or denies these stories. Where do I go to find the real facts to these stories and verify them? It's making me crazy. If there's any truth to these allegations, I want to know. - all that my searches turn up are very boring stories, especially in comparison to the lurid accusations I'm hearing.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Election Irregularities? Ohio, Philly, etc.

Post by Foil »

"This county voted 100% democrat, that's statistically impossible"
It's not whole counties; the claims are actually that certain "divisions" (small bits of counties) had 100% democrat voting. To me, it looks obviously cherry-picked (i.e. they picked out all the little 100%-democrat bits, and put them into a larger-looking-but-scattered segment).

[Cuda and callmeslick are going at it in another thread about this very thing.]
"this county had a 125% voter turn out"
In the one I glanced at (admittedly, I haven't looked deeply), it was just bad math and hype. The "100%+" was "of last election's turnout", rather than "of the eligible voters". That should be a story about what drove the extra voters, not implications about fraud.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re: Election Irregularities? Ohio, Philly, etc.

Post by WarAdvocat »

I keep hearing about this crap, verbally or via forwarded emails but I have yet to see what I'd consider a valid source or article quoting such a source, excepting certain rather outrageous blog posts - which don't reference any legitimate sources.

That 140% (144? 141?) thing is a good example. I can't find the original quote, much less the figures. I've heard several locations named for the story - the most recent (and local to me) being Port St. Lucie Florida as part of Allen West's pathetic little petulance.

Thanks for the heads up on that thread. I'll go dig through the hatred... ;)