Hotel internet security

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Hotel internet security

Post by thewolfe »

If I'm staying at a hotel with wireless access or wired if it makes a difference.

I have connectify on my laptop. Would that make my other wireless devices running through my laptop secure?

I also have Firefox portable on my thumb drive. That do anything?

And I use lastpass.

Any off these things keep prying eyes out of my stuff?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re: Hotel internet security

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Turn off file sharing and make sure you are connected to the hotel network and not a spoof of it.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

I was concerned about the hotel spying.

Also wondered if Connectify would hide my
Keystrokes and on-line activities.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The only way to really guarantee that the hotel, or someone else with a wireless nearby can't spy (not saying they are spying) is to set up an encrypted VPN and tunnel in to it for all of your web activity.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Krom wrote:The only way to really guarantee that the hotel, or someone else with a wireless nearby can't spy (not saying they are spying) is to set up an encrypted VPN and tunnel in to it for all of your web activity.
Woot for SSH!
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

I have my own VPN and DNS server for that using OpenVPN