Comprehensive Bug List

Feedback for the Outrage Entertainment D3 dev team members - bug reports, patch issues, your raves (or rants).
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Nagromme, thanks for the Mac bug list. I'll look into it more closely later. My friend, Fergwad, had Chocobo World and Team Pyroglyphic crash. Try playing those levels for an extended period of time and see what happens.

Roncli, and Vertigo, I tried the Energy/Shield converter thing and when I had 100 shields (not damaged yet) it wouldn't let me use it. But then I ran into some walls and brought myself down to 99 and I was able to use it. I think maybe the bug is that it doesn't let you use it when you haven't been damaged yet? That's what I'm gonna put on the list.

------------------
-Suncho
Teddy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Teddy »

heres are some to put on the list...
-d3d pauses when going into new rooms(32 bit color and height resolutions make it even worse)
-bumpmaping screws up lighting on some levels(go into basement of apparition and look at mirror at 80 degree angle). this happens on radeon and I believe GeForce 3, both cards support bumpmapping.

not sure if this is a bug or on purpose...
- bumpmapping only works on 1 ship at a time all other ships only have the team color texture bumped (texture that is usually on the fins or wings)

------------------
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Thanks Teddy

------------------
-Suncho
sw Max_T
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by sw Max_T »

He Suncho, i have no time 2 read through the whole post, and what i am about 2 suggest is not even a bug, but i think it's worth mentioning:

Have any1 asked them if they would include TRUEFORM support in 1.5 patch? From what i understand it's not that much of goding, but the results might look great 4 ATI Radeon 8500 users. Image

------------------
{sw}Max_T
Vertigo Zero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Vertigo Zero »

I want to post this first item again because I'm positive it's not on the list and I think it should be.

- When you drop countermeasures, D3 sometimes plays the sound for firing a Flare.

- I forgot to mention this: Like Teddy, I too saw the lighting problem when bump mapping is enabled. The easiest place I can think of to demonstrate this is at the very beginning of the first level in Descent:Retribution (D3 single player). When the camera pans across the room with your Pyro-GX in the center, you will see the lighting problem.

- One more thing: I have "use item" assigned to one of my controller buttons. When the Energy-To-Shields Converter is the active item and I press and hold the controller button the Converter only works for a brief moment, as if I had only tapped the button instead of holding it down. It seems that D3 only accepts a held down key on the keyboard to continuously run the Converter. If I can assign the function to a button on a controller, then it should work exactly as it does on a keyboard key. Otherwise, there's no point. I would really like this to work properly because the way I have my controlls set up, getting the Converter to work properly is the only time I have to use the keyboard (other than typing messages). I end up taking my hand off of my controller and putting myself in jeopardy when I shouldn't have to.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for you country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -Gen. George S. Patton

"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad bad man." -Huey Lewis & The News
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

thanks

------------------
-Suncho
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Regarding that, is that flare thing really a bug? I remember that D1/D2 used to recycle sound effects if the system was low on resources...

------------------
[MS]Testiculese
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by [MS]Testiculese »

Has anybody thought about asking Outrage to enable remapping of the weapons bindings to alternate keys?

------------------
<FONT color="#2f2f4f">�^� �(o¿o)� �^�</FONT>
<FONT color="#ffffff"> [MS] Testiculese</FONT>
<FONT color="#cccccc">Major, Midnight Squadron Descent III Division (Link)</FONT>
Deathwinger
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deathwinger »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by pATChes11:
<b> "*Ability to use custom .str files for different ships" Uhh... why in D3's name would you need to??? If the weapon names are loaded out of a string file, then have a string entry for each ship. If not (unlikely due to language support), then you're just plain dumb. Image Shouldn't be too hard... although I think it would be more of a hassle having seperate files like that. It should be in one well-formatted file Image
</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Patches, Don't quite understand what you mean here. send me an email xbdw@yahoo.com and we'll talk. How's inferno going BTW?

------------------
Vertigo Zero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Vertigo Zero »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Solrazor:
<b> Regarding that, is that flare thing really a bug? I remember that D1/D2 used to recycle sound effects if the system was low on resources...

</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just so you can see why I would doubt the problem being a shortage of resources, here are my PC's specs:
http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=10960

Of course, I could be wrong. I do however vaguely remember people talking about this problem a while ago; I don't think it was ever fixed.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for you country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -Gen. George S. Patton

"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad bad man." -Huey Lewis & The News
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Testi, this thread is about bugs, not feature requests, sorry.

------------------
-Suncho
[MS]Testiculese
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

It is kind of a bug though Image Been a bug since D1!

------------------
<FONT color="#cccccc">Major, Midnight Squadron Descent III Division (Link)</FONT>
[MS]Testiculese
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Vertigo
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo »

I think it's more of an unimplemented feature Image

------------------
Level designer on the D4.net team.
www.descent4.net
<FONT color="#FFFF00">[Note to self: Do not shoot MD up F(r)agCli's tailpipe, it seems to boost his shields... -- KickAssVert]</FONT>
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

It's not like it would be that hard to do really. In D3 SP the server runs though sevral levels. You just need to be able to set a list of MN3's that you want the server to run.

-Krom

------------------
I am too tired to come up with a creative and intersting signature of my own at the moment, please think of somthing funny and imagine it here.
- D3k Homepage -
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

The whole point of mn3's is that you have multiple levels and the server "wraps" through them. Oddly enough, though, most people make their missions with single levels.

------------------
-Suncho
[MS]Testiculese
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

But what if I wanted to cycle between Indika and Kata?

UT has a Map List. You go through the maps and add them, and the server will cycle through those maps.

Outrage could look to UT for a lot of things Image given time, resources, etc..

------------------
Deathwinger
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deathwinger »

Perhaps when the server is changing mn3, the client gets msn info from the server then the autodownload screen comes up asking which site he wants to get the level. when he finally gets the level successfully, the mn3 loads its data and starts as though the client just joined the server for the first time.

------------------
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

This is definitely a feature that would help a lot. I agree. But I don't see it as a bug and I'd rather see them fix as many bugs as they can. You know what I mean?

------------------
-Suncho
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

#define UT nifty, but there will be better. Image
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Bug I have noticed!

My setup: PIII 800, Win2k, Voodoo3 3000, Glide, mouse player.

I noticed that when my FPS (framerate) went over 100 or so, my mouse buttons wouldn't hold down (like for fusion charging or MD zooming)- instead, it would fire randomly as if being tapped at random intervals instead. I switched mice and the same deal happened (from a PS/2 analog to USB digital optical)... However, when I switched to another video card in OpenGL mode or capped the framrate, it would work normally.

I could reproduce this bug in all levels on all types of servers including starting my own.

Testiculese commented that he encountered the same bug. You may want to ask him about it as well...

------------------
The Samurai Rabbit Clan is ready for action! http://d3src.cjb.net/
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I don't have time to read every post in this thread so I'm going to just list the ones I know about. If they've already been mentioned, I appologize. These are for the RC version only. I'm running v1.4 with Merc installed. All drivers are up-to-date.

1. Vauss Firing Bug.

Cause: Pulling trigger rapidly

Notes: When pulling the trigger on my joystick, I can actually cause one cannon, instead of both cannons, to fire. Even the scorch marks verify this.

2. Napalm Missile bug.

Cause: unknown

Notes: When I play one of the included levels in D3 (the one with the enemy pyro gl's...I think its called BlueDevil), I can fire a napalm missile at the ceiling and the napalm doesn't fall down. It flows outward, but clings to the ceiling! I'll take a screenshot if you want. This happens everytime, so it will be very easy to replicate.

3. Doors bug.

Cause: unknown...table file is a suspect.

Notes: When firing at a door, it takes approximately two seconds for it to even start opening. This is not the case in D1 and D2 where they respond immediately. This has gotten me killed more times than actual dogfights! Its extremely annoying to have to wait for the door before you can advance.

4. Resolution bug.

Cause: using ALT TAB

Notes: When pressing ALT TAB to do something, and return to the game, the screen is in a "widescreen" format. However, nothing is visible other than the environment! The reticle, and everything else is not rendered. I even tested this by recording a short demo and took screenshots to make sure it wasn't just a glitch. The demo and screenshots showed the exact thing I saw while playing! The only way to fix this is to change resolution back and forth within the game, or to completely exit the game and rejoin. Unfortunately I don't have the demo nor the screenshots with me because I've reformatted since then.

5. Vauss Tracers

Cause: unknown.

Notes: They're only renderable in OpenGL. I've tested this on multiple video cards to be sure it wasn't just mine.

Thats about all I can think of for now.

------------------
- WEBMASTER and Forum Administrator: http://www.mdstudios.f2s.com/
Benny: Hey O'Conell! It looks to me that I've got all the horses!
Rick: Hey Benny! It looks to me that you're on the wrong side of the river!
- "The Mummy"
Daguer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Daguer »

hmm I have a matrox g200 wioth the 4.51 driver, and i see the vaquss tracer on d3d
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

1) Interesting, but by the sound of it not something I'd lose sleep over. It may be easy to fix though.

2) This is because of the way the level's designed - the author used reverse gravity. By the sound of it, it isn't a default D3 level, so it can't be fixed by Outrage (and might have been intentional anyway).
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

1) The vauss fire alternates barrels in the pyro ships. If this happened in a pyro I don't see how it's a bug... If it happened in one of the other ships, how were you able to reproduce it because I can't.

2) This is probably intentional (or you were upside down ;) )

3) This isn't really a bug. In D1/D2, if you're playing, the door would open on your computer and then it would send out the packet to everyone else telling that it was open. In D3 the server decides if the door's open. So you have to tell the server you want to open the door, then the server opens it for you. This makes it more consistent between the different players but is affected worse by lag.

4) What video card, API, and drivers are you using? Are you able to reproduce this? I've had this happen only a couple times in a couple years. Various rendering stuff has already been fixed in 1.5. It's possible that this has been fixed but it might not be.

5) They render fine in Glide for me on my Voodoo5. They only work when the target is far away though. This is a feature of the game. If you get close to something, while shooting vauss at it, there will be no tracers. I'll try OpenGL and Direct3D. Either way I don't think this is a big deal at all.

------------------
-Suncho
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Roncli there are actual updates in 1.5 that might help with this problem including a new Parallax Online.d3c file. I'm not gonna mark it as not fixed just yet. =)

------------------
-Suncho
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

My system:

AMD Duron 700Mhz (running at 700)
Asus A7V
Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 (64MB DDR, AGP 4x)
Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! Value
IBM 45GB HDD (7200RPM, ATA100)
Western Digital 3.2GB (5400, ATA33...a temp replacement for my Quantum 170MB that died when my 250W PS burned out on me. Its in a removable drive-bay..which is hot swappable btw.)
Acer 10X DVD-ROM (doubles as a 40X CD-ROM)
Mitsumi 1.44MB Floppy
Logitech Wheel Mouse Optical (US Image
Diamond SupraMax 56k v.90 modem
Logitech Wingman Strike Force 3D (KICKASS joystick!)
CTX 17" CRT Monitor (16" viewable, .26 dot pitch)
Altec Lansing ACS33 3pc speaker set w/Sub

1. I can reproduce it everytime in every ship except for the pheonix since its double-fire in that particular ship. (like the microwave is double-fire in the BP)

2. I was right-side up. I think I can tell when I'm upside down or not. Image

3. They open in the same ammount of time, whether singleplayer or multiplayer.

4. see specs above. I also mentioned that I use OpenGL later in the post. However, 1.5 isn't out yet (just ran auto-update to be sure) so.... Image btw, I also stated that I am running v1.4 with Merc installed.

5. My card only supports D3D and OpenGL and I only see them in OpenGL, regardless of range.

Go here if you're curious how my system handles benchmark wise. Image

------------------
- "The Mummy"
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Bug or not, I dunno, but:

Name: "Looping Sound End Bug"
Trigger: Turning SFX and/or music down to 0 and then back on again.

Repeating, looping sfx tend to either shut off for some reason by itself somehow, or when you do the trigger above. You can silence any constant sfx being played by doing that.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

MD:

1. It's still not a bug. That's the way it's supposed to work.

2. I was joking about the upside down part. Even then it's not a bug. It's a setting that the level designer used.

3. If I you're talking about what I think you're talking about then that's a feature of the door. Have you noticed that different types of doors take different amounts of time to open depending on what latches they have and whatnot?

4. Are you able to reproduce it?

5. I still wouldn't call it a bug but rather a feature that wasn't implemented for a certain API.

Skyalmian and Roncli: Thanks I'll check them out.

------------------
-Suncho
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Suncho:
<b> MD:
4. Are you able to reproduce it?</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can reproduce it everytime. Its not related to my video card because it happened on my old Viper V550 as well.

------------------
- "The Mummy"
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I don't know if this is on the list, and I am to lazy to check, so forigive me if it is Image

but what about the pilot name hack that people use, like instig8, so that no name appears. It really gives them an advantage when hudnames are on. Perhaps if a Pilot just uses a space, it will show as a _.

------------------
My name is Gooberman, and I am a recovering Skip-O-holic.