Boxed ports Descent

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Boxed ports Descent

Post by sigma »

Perhaps I am overly sentimental, but sometimes it's nice to take into the hands of old boxes and disks or floppy. I only have the original box and disks D3, as well as Russian pirated editions. I have not seen box version with port DXX-Rebirth, D2-XXL, ProjectX, and others. They exist at all?
P.S. If this topic has been discussed, please give references.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re: Boxed ports Descent

Post by CDN_Merlin »

There are only boxed version of D1/2/3 and the expansions. Nothing else.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

CDN_Merlin wrote:There are only boxed version of D1/2/3 and the expansions. Nothing else.
Thank you. Sincerely sorry to hear that. But why?! :frown:
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Why?

The mods we use today were made about 8 years after the release of D2.
Rebirth and XL were "spring boarded" from D1.40 (a-c) and there was also DX W32?
These were all attempts to fix various issues in Descent and became a big mess from the coding side.
So two different Germans decided to take matters into their own hands and clean this mess up. Like I said, this was long LOOOoong after the you could buy these games in regular stores.

In fact, if I remember correctly, Interplay was in bankruptcy and pretty much a non-entity at the time.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

And depending on the license the source code to the games was released under, those projects might not be able to be included in a for-profit retail release. I know the FreeSpace 2 code was released under a strictly non-commercial license.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I wouldn't rule out some capability for Interplay to make that happen - the issue is that the games were already out of print for something like a decade by the time these source ports came along, and there's no way it's going to make sense to produce more boxes at a time when boxed games are on the way out anyway. I'm not sure I've even heard of a classic game being re-released in box form - it's always digital.

If Descent were Doom, things could be different - a 20th anniversary collector's edition box set or something wouldn't be out of the question, though I don't know whether id is planning anything like that either :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Good point Sirius.

Interplay is now in a position where this CAN happen. "Will" it? we'll have to wait and see.