anyone else find this obscene?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: anyone else find this obscene?

Post by callmeslick »

vision wrote: Personally, I hope every inch of my body goes to use after I'm dead even if it is just used for artistic purposes (maybe a cool bone sculpture!).
I'm with you, completely. My will specifies that my organs(if worthwhile) be used for donation, and the rest is to become fish food(scattered ashes on two bodies of water). Never pondered the artistic uses, although some black pigments derive from burnt bone. :)
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
vision wrote: Personally, I hope every inch of my body goes to use after I'm dead even if it is just used for artistic purposes (maybe a cool bone sculpture!).
I'm with you, completely. My will specifies that my organs(if worthwhile) be used for donation, and the rest is to become fish food(scattered ashes on two bodies of water). Never pondered the artistic uses, although some black pigments derive from burnt bone. :)
So like vision, you don't mind your body being carved up and turned into roast long pig to feed the needy? And by inference you don't have a problem with eating the flesh of other human beings? Nice to know your darker side.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

To quote a old Klingon proverb regarding death and burial.

it is now merely an empty shell. Dispose of it how you see fit.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:So like vision, you don't mind your body being carved up and turned into roast long pig to feed the needy?
nope, although I hope I age enough to become completely unpalatable. Funny that you mentioned cannibalism earlier. I thought that referred to KILLING for the purpose of eating folks who were still alive. I'm not OK with that.
And by inference you don't have a problem with eating the flesh of other human beings? Nice to know your darker side.
wow, can you make leaps of guesswork, Woody. First off, I'm not needy. Second, even those that are wouldn't be consuming anything other than processed protein, made from flesh of other human beings. As it is, you already, daily, consume everything from anilmal flesh, to insects to rat feces, so what is the difference if the sourcing were one's deceased fellow men? Look, nothing that I(or I presume Vision) are putting forth are anything beyond scattering of ashes, organ donation for research or artistic use(a new addition by Vision). It is YOU and solely YOU who keeps bringing up 'feeding bodies to the needy'. To my knowledge, neither of us ever suggested that.....we've merely said it could be an outlier type of possibility, if the food supply for living humans got bad enough. It seems that Vision and I aren't the ones showing either our 'dark side' or, frankly, as you are, our 'backsides'.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

It may surprise you to know, Slick, that most people consider eating human flesh to be absolutely taboo. Speaking of using deceased human flesh for food qualifies as "darker side", for sure.

As an aside, didn't some sort of special disease develop when beef was used in cow feed?

Klingon tradition notwithstanding ( :P ), I think it's important for us that we see fit to deal with our dead in a respectful manner. Dealing with Grandpa the same way you deal with lunch just doesn't convey respect or honor for the deceased. I think the idea that it may be necessary to look to the flesh of dead people as a necessary source of nutrition also fails to demand that we at minimum have access to natural sources of nutrition. And why? Are they reserved for Slick's table at this theoretical time in the future?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

In my opinion, respect for the dead refers to the memory, legacy…etc, not the flesh.

But, I do find some of the suggestions here a bit morbid.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Can a person really separate memory, legacy, etc from a lifeless body so easily? If they can, then fine. I don't believe they can. Could you take one of your relatives who had died, drop their body in the middle of the desert, and feel that you really respect their memory? I want you to know that I don't assign any special significance to a person's dead body--I believe they're dead and gone--I just think that whether we like it or not that's how we tick. Sometimes actions mean something, even if we don't consciously appreciate it.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:It may surprise you to know, Slick, that most people consider eating human flesh to be absolutely taboo. Speaking of using deceased human flesh for food qualifies as "darker side", for sure.
I agree. At no time did I put the suggestion forward that we do so. Vision and I merely referred to post-mortem uses for our own bodies, not one of which involved feeding them to anyone.
George Orwell---"1984"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

No, I suggested that anyone that becomes desensitized enough to start using human remains as cordwood and fertilizer would probably not find the idea of human remains as hamburger patties as repulsive and I was right.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

flip wrote:No, I suggested that anyone that becomes desensitized enough to start using human remains as cordwood and fertilizer would probably not find the idea of human remains as hamburger patties as repulsive and I was right.
no, you weren't. Those of us(Vision and I) who spoke of utilizing OUR OWN bodies, made no such claim on the choices/wishes of others. Plus, I am not up to eating human flesh.....but, then again, I'm not facing starvation.
George Orwell---"1984"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

You can backpeddle all you want, the topic of this thread is using human remains as an energy source. Not yours mind you, but so many human fetuses that they are actually becoming a viable energy source in some people's mind. I suggested that if that became the norm, in times of great need, they would still be looked at as energy sources. You didn't repulse, you said you didn't care and you wouldn't.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Actually, when the criminals in Russia escapes from prison, the traditional practice is to use people from their team as "living canned". Because a very long distance from civilization and only around wildlife. People know in advance that some of them will eat them tomorrow.
But the other way for the survival of others simply do not.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

How about burial way out in the deep sea? Let the sea creatures recycle the body.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

flip wrote:No, I suggested that anyone that becomes desensitized enough to start using human remains as cordwood and fertilizer would probably not find the idea of human remains as hamburger patties as repulsive and I was right.
Wrong. While I wouldn't care if another human ate my flesh after I was dead, I am almost certain not to eat other people because I'm a vegetarian! I think eating any meat is gross. It's all in your head anyway. If someone put veal on a plate in front of you and said "this is human flesh" you would throw up. But if someone put cooked human flesh in front of you and said it was veal you would probably think "oh this is very tasty!" Yes, there are diseases you can get from eating human flesh, but you can get diseases from lots of other animal parts you shouldn't eat. Human flesh eating would have to be regulated by the FDA anyway. Luckily, no one on this board has ever been hungry enough to eat another human as a last resort, but why would that be bad if it meant your survival? It wouldn't be. And I never once suggested that by dead body would be best used as food for other humans. Organ donation, scientific study, food for lower organisms, art, green energy (if possible)... all these are much better uses. But, if I was stranded on a boat with a bunch of starving people I would hope they had the courage to eat my dead body to survive.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah, your enlightened I forgot, too bad enlightenment runs hand in hand with near-sightedness these days, because almost all these instances you cite about eating dead human bodies to survive also come with the accounts of starving people getting tired of sitting around and waiting for the other to die ;). Your turning into brutes and trying to pass it off as 'enlightenment.' Good luck with that, I have found out that a life is not worth living unless you find something worth dying for.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

flip wrote:I have found out that a life is not worth living unless you find something worth dying for.
What a bunch of overly-dramatic nonsense. How about living because life is fun and enjoyable and you get to meet cool people and do neat stuff? Jeez, such a gloomy outlook you have that you need a life-or-death principal to keep you going in this world. I feel bad for you. Maybe you should get some counseling, and while you are at it maybe you and the therapist can work out why you have such a fixation on death and cannibalism?
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Lol! I am happier, more centered and at peace than I've even been in my life!
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

flip wrote:You can backpeddle all you want, the topic of this thread is using human remains as an energy source.
Silly me, and here I thought the topic of this thread was a girl getting kicked out of school. :P
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Hehe, My bad. You should already know I'm an opportunist :P