Earthquakes in America

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Earthquakes in America

Post by sigma »

What's going on? Chile earthquake as it related to these events? Or is it just a joke?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: Earthquakes in America

Post by woodchip »

Possible not a joke. It has been shown animals are sensitive to pre-seismic activity and will try to flee from it. In the case of Yellowstone, if that caldera goes boom the whole northern hemisphere will experience a years long winter and America will effectively die.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

In that case, considering such exceptional circumstances, on mine, Russia need to allow the American refugees to escape in our territory.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Are you kidding? Russia's Siberian Traps supervolcano was probably responsible for the Permian Mass Extinction, 252 million years ago. What's to say that won't come back to life in the future? Your country isn't immune sigma. :wink:

http://www.livescience.com/41909-new-cl ... ction.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_Traps

Have you even been through an earthquake sigma? I've been through magnitude 5.5's and a bunch of 4's. The 3's aren't even worth mentioning because you can't feel them unless you are inside a building. The magnitude 5's will definitely rattle you, but even with those, you can get used to it. Anything above that will definitely ruin your day, probably for a long time. :o
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Frankly, I'm surprised that the U.S. has no regular tantrums that Russian is again experiencing tectonic weapons to avenge the Americans for silly penalties.

No, I've never felt an earthquake. If you it is normal thing , then maybe I should not have worried. I did not know . I just thought that in the case of an imminent threat of death of the American people because of a natural disaster , we might have to shelter you . There 's plenty of space for everyone. We can help. Russian is not customary to leave people in the lurch, even enemies.
I hope that nature will be kind to you , and we will still be able to conduct political discussions :)
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Anyone who lives in California in the US, Sigma, views Earthquakes up to about 6.0 on the Richter Scale as pretty routine.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I lived in the Bay Area for 3 years. We went through a whole set of quakes, 3 of them greater than magnitude 5. You tend to get used to it after a while, as long as they stay under a magnitude 5. The buildings were built to take those. But we moved out 6 weeks before the 7.1 Loma Prieta quake, so I can't comment on what that one was like. What does scare me are tornadoes, lightning and hail. I could never get used to that in Colorado. Those storms always scared the crap out of me.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I have no more questions about the causes of seismic activity in America...

Statistics on nuclear testing:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

sigma wrote:I have no more questions about the causes of seismic activity in America...

Statistics on nuclear testing:
We haven't done any nuclear testing for years. I don't know where you're hearing that we are doing any nuclear testing. Maybe you should look to North Korea, who is right next door to Russia. :wink:

Most of our earthquakes are caused by plate tectonics and the resulting fault movement. California is split by the San Andreas fault and other faults. Bent sidewalk in Hollister California.

A more recent earthquake cause may be from natural gas fracking. It apparently is responsible for swarms of earthquakes around the wells when they force water and chemicals into the ground to fracture the rock. And if the petroleum companies are doing it Russia, you'll start getting them too if there are hidden faults underground in the area.

http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2 ... rthquakes/
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I mean the consequences of a nuclear U.S. activity. Seismic activity in North America, Chile, Japan, Indonesia, etc. today, likely a result of U.S. nuclear tests, the United Kingdom and France, yesterday.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

There were earthquakes before there were nuclear bombs, it has nothing to do with nuclear testing. I don't know where you heard or made a connection between the two, but it is wrong.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

ELF waves can trigger Earthquakes if there is already a lot of tension there.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

much of our West has experienced seismic activity for millenia, sigma. Blaming on nuclear testing is just your propaganda showing again.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Naturally. If Russian, everything that he says is propaganda :)
I just looked at the chart of seismic activity, and found the middle of last century, the amplitude of the earthquake had a tendency to increase with each passing year. I'm interested in the reasons for this phenomenon and and when I saw this animation, I assumed that such extensive testing of U.S. nuclear weapons and its satellites in the area of ​​natural seismic activity could trigger the gain and frequency of earthquakes in the Americas and the Pacific.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I imagine a nuclear weapon in the right spot could trigger an earthquake, but a much more stealthy way is to just find the resonant frequency and do it that way. Again, I don't imagine you could do it at will, you have to find the right spot first.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

*Post deleted sigma because of the inconsistency issue.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Wouldn't be that easy flip, while you can shatter a wine glass by shaking it at its resonant frequency, the amount of energy required to shatter it that way is actually MORE than just smashing it against the floor. The volume required to overcome the dissipation losses in the wine glass is significant, the volume required to overcome the dissipation losses in a tectonic plate are astronomical. I doubt even nuclear detonations at precisely timed regular intervals could do it, and at that point every Tom, Dick and Harry with a seismometer would know about it.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

It's not quite that simple Krom. The earth's crust is already riddled with cracks. You aren't creating fractures in a normally solid substance to break it as in the glass example. You don't necessarily need a resonance frequency to trigger fault movement in the ground. Since most faults are already under stress from the constant movement of the tectonic plates, ANY vibrations could potentially trigger sudden movement. And I don't think the earth's crust has a particular resonance frequency since it's made up of a lot of disparate materials with their own resonance frequencies. It's not a homogeneous material like glass. Water infiltration is much better since it acts like a lubricant, hence the earthquakes happening near fracking wells.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Faults eventually give on their own even without external interference, next time you trip on a step the shock from your foot hitting the ground could be the breaking point that causes on earthquake somewhere. You are basically saying that pouring gasoline on a fire will make it burn more. What flip is saying is that you can make something that doesn't normally burn explode in flames by playing just the right music at it. (And sigma is saying America is using their evil music to threaten and control the world and only Russia knows about it.)

Actually if fracking can set off earthquakes it will probably prove to be really useful in the long run. Think about it, weakening the fault and causing it to quake prematurely would mean less energy is stored up when the quake happens, so the quakes would be more frequent but less powerful. It is probably something that should be researched if possible, because tectonic stresses and thus earthquakes aren't going away anytime soon. If we could trade "the big one" for a handful of smaller events, at least stuff like Fukushima probably wouldn't happen again.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

In fact, oil companies sometimes use underground nuclear explosions for creating backup storage consumption.
Krom wrote:(And sigma is saying America is using their evil music to threaten and control the world and only Russia knows about it.)
I would have said that this know absolutely everything, including the Americans. Just Americans do not want to admit this.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Krom wrote:Faults eventually give on their own even without external interference, next time you trip on a step the shock from your foot hitting the ground could be the breaking point that causes on earthquake somewhere. You are basically saying that pouring gasoline on a fire will make it burn more. What flip is saying is that you can make something that doesn't normally burn explode in flames by playing just the right music at it.

Any fault under stress will rupture if the right circumstances occur. It could even be one little keystone rock fracturing somewhere within the fault that could be all the impetus needed for the whole fault to let go. Maybe there was a car crash somewhere and the vibrations from that set things off. Who knows? If they knew, they could predict earthquakes. My only point was that there isn't really any specific resonance vibration frequency for the earth's crust. Any vibration will do, if it's big enough, or located in the right place and the right time.
Krom wrote:(And sigma is saying America is using their evil music to threaten and control the world and only Russia knows about it.)

:lol: :lol:
Krom wrote:Actually if fracking can set off earthquakes it will probably prove to be really useful in the long run. Think about it, weakening the fault and causing it to quake prematurely would mean less energy is stored up when the quake happens, so the quakes would be more frequent but less powerful. It is probably something that should be researched if possible, because tectonic stresses and thus earthquakes aren't going away anytime soon. If we could trade "the big one" for a handful of smaller events, at least stuff like Fukushima probably wouldn't happen again.
I don't know. I'm sure most Californians wouldn't want to be beta testers for water injection for the sole purpose of causing more smaller earthquakes testing trials. They're already starting to freak out over the potential earthquakes caused by fracking. :P

http://www.shakyground.org/
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

sigma wrote:In fact, oil companies sometimes use underground nuclear explosions for creating backup storage consumption.
I would have said that this know absolutely everything, including the Americans. Just Americans do not want to admit this.
I change my above post. I thought you were kidding sigma, until I found this. It's official, Americans are crazy AND greedy.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/22/le ... -gas-rush/

http://aoghs.org/oilfield-technologies/ ... -gasbuggy/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Plowshare
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

tunnelcat wrote:
sigma wrote:In fact, oil companies sometimes use underground nuclear explosions for creating backup storage consumption.
I change my above post. I thought you were kidding sigma, until I found this. It's official, Americans are crazy AND greedy.

Yeah, there was a lot of crazy nuclear ★■◆● attempted in the 1960s. But for sigma to suggest that anyone outside of North Korea (and maybe India/Pakistan on a bad day) is actively testing them right now is just absurd.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

tunnelcat wrote:

"The scheme worked — to an extent. The gas was unlocked by the blast but was deemed too radioactive for commercial use."

Well Duh. Even I could of figured that would happen.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

No Krom, that's not what I'm saying at all. You must have a spot already under a lot of tension. You should go do a study on very low frequencies such as ELF waves, Schumann Resonances and the ways they have been able to produce them. Since it takes such a prohibitively long antenna to create such waves, they were at one time using high voltage power lines to do it but a lot of adverse effects that were found on the human body caused that practice to be banned in 2004. Which got me thinking and I have not yet pursued it, but no way I or anyone else is just going to abandon the study of those waves. I need to start looking for alternative ways to do the same thing around 2004. When I do, I'll post what I find.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Hrm.. we just had a 3.3 here in Oregon just south of Portland tonight. ..just outside Sherwood. ??!! We've been having a few over the last couple of decades out of Canby, but never in Sherwood. The towns are 30ish miles apart.

http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/ear ... ?id=370372

What then of the Chile earthquakes? Testing? no.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

You know, I hate to say anything specific. You cannot even find the HAARP site now because of all the conspiracy sites just flooding the internet without evidence and proof. All I will say, is that it is completely possible and a definite factor now.

EDIT: Plus, none of these people seem to consider constructive waves that interact with each other producing waves of longer and longer wavelengths. If I was gonna investigate the ability to produce very long wavelengths, I would look at satellites and huge arrays above us, not at HAARP.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

HAARP was divided up into several private companies.. or rather sold off to. There is other things more sinister afoot than HAARP ever was. ;)
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Actually, I have that backwards, you would need destructive interference to lengthen.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Duper wrote:Hrm.. we just had a 3.3 here in Oregon just south of Portland tonight. ..just outside Sherwood. ??!! We've been having a few over the last couple of decades out of Canby, but never in Sherwood. The towns are 30ish miles apart.

http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/ear ... ?id=370372

What then of the Chile earthquakes? Testing? no.
So that's what that was. I heard the P-wave bang while watching TV. No ground movement, just a "wham". I thought a deer had run into the side of the house.

By the way Duper, we get subduction zone quakes here. If we get a big quake, it will be a BIG quake, above a 9 or so, and we're overdue. Last one was in 1700.

http://www.livescience.com/30053-earthq ... regon.html
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yeah. I guess it depends on where that quake happens. If it's off shore over that fault line, then we'll probably get hit with something like 7-8. If that breaks loose in say Canby, there's going to be a lot of clean up to do. Especially downtown where there are still a lot of brick buildings. :|
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That's the problem. The whole subduction zone runs under the entire state of Oregon. That's why we have the Cascade mountain range. But the reality is, the closer to the surface to fault break occurs, the more violent the shaking on the surface. It also appears that the Cascadia Subduction zone dives down steeper under Oregon than it does in Canada. I'm guessing that this steeper fault profile under Oregon may tend to lock up easier and hold more energy than the section in Canada, potentially causing more violent quakes in Oregon. Hmm, time to move......

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/str ... scadia.php
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

*crickets*
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

LOL TC, you came up short there. That's why we also have the coastal range as well as the Rockies. Washington is at as much risk as we are...not that I'd wish that kind of devastation on any one. ..well.. maybe a meth lab or two. ;)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Duper wrote:LOL TC, you came up short there. That's why we also have the coastal range as well as the Rockies. Washington is at as much risk as we are...not that I'd wish that kind of devastation on any one. ..well.. maybe a meth lab or two. ;)
No, I didn't forget the Coast Range, or the Rockies. :wink: But the subduction fault that runs under Oregon is steeper, meaning that the crustal plates are more resistant to sliding past one another, so there is much more potential for the fault to store up energy before it lets go. It's like pushing your hands against a wall at 80 degrees instead of pushing your hands down a wall at say 45 degrees. Your hands will slip easier at 45 degrees. The fault gets less steep in profile as you go northward towards Canada. Either way, I hope I'm long gone before it happens. I'm too old to deal with this big of a disaster.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Judging by recent comments volcanologists disaster in Yellowstone still inevitable explosion and forecasts are dated in the period from 2016 to 2074 . It very soon, actually. I'm surprised . That the U.S. government is trying to deny this information , not to create panic among the American population. Scientists have only discuss the time and the consequences of this disaster. But NOBODY offers solutions to this problem! Although it's not just Americans , but for all humanity . And if do not take early action , humanity may simply disappear from the face of the Earth.
Quote: " In the history of the Earth has been such a disaster - 74 thousand years ago there was a huge volcanic eruption of Toba , the most powerful in the last 25 million years , when the atmosphere was ejected 2800 cubic kilometers of ash . Climatic effects were so severe that there was a mass extinction of all living beings . Average global temperatures fell by no less than 10 degrees , killed three quarters of all plants in Southeast Asia . From all mankind then survived only 5-12 thousand people , that is a real threat of extinction people. Saved only earthlings that lived in Africa "
More : http://www.rosbalt.ru/piter/2014/04/12/1255983.html
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

The earth needs a good cleansing.
Z..
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Z.. »

Nothing can be done about the Yellowstone volcano. An eruption could occur in five years, ten years, one hundred years, or fifty thousand years. I'd like to be long gone when it does erupt because life in America (and pretty much the rest of the world) would suck quite a bit. Earthquakes hit and it's a reality that will never go away. Just have to deal with it.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Fear not for us sigma. We are digging a large vent tube from underneath Yellowstone all the way under Canada right now. When it is finished it will send most of the eruption spilling out into some cold lonely place called Russia so we will be fine ;)