Interplay issues a Cease and Desist Order.

A promising Descent clone made using Unreal Engine 3 which will have greatly improved graphics and very similar to Descent 1 / Descent 2 style mechanics.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: Interplay issues a Cease and Desist Order.

Post by Alter-Fox »

100 times zero is still zero :lol:
I doubt that would satisfy them but who knows. Seems they can't even get greed right...
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

At this point.
I'm only interested in the MP side of the game. So there wouldn't be much that would require to be changed. Pyros, weapons, power-ups and sounds?

SP on the other hand.... it depends on how much they have already created that has DESCENT "cloned" material in it that would require an overhaul of.

Anyways.... :|
Prepare for DESCENT!
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Hi Folks.

Quick update - I've sent Max at Sol Contingency an email to introduce myself and ask him how I can be of assistance.

While I have lots of ideas on how they might be able to proceed, I don't have any right, or any interest, in charging into their project head-first and telling them what to do.

I told him what my skills and expertise are, and that I'm willing to help. Next move is up to him.
vision wrote:I would donate money for consultation with an IP lawyer.
That's a very decent offer - and a bloody good idea to my mind. Hang on to your money for now though - still don't know if Max wants my assistance or not. :-)
I used to like memes, but then I was Rick-rolled while taking over 9000 arrows to the knee like a boss from Chuck Norris.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

I would be surprised if Interplay could win any IP lawsuit. As it is they are just squatting over their 'assets' doing nothing and have been for years, and barking when anyone comes close to what they're clinging to.

Hopefully their threat is hot empty air to intimidate and they lose hard; apparently that "would serve them right" at this point.

People (including me) desire a new Descent game and if they won't step up and do ★■◆● then ★■◆● them and their threats when others decide to do something cool.

That they even bother checking around for violations and waiting until the absolute last minute shows them to be predatory cunts.

I bet SC would win.
And the game that made it for Interplay(?) would be its downfall.
@uToPL@y
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Location: Off World: Scouting for a lost mining colony in an uncharted sector of space.

Post by @uToPL@y »

Alter-Fox wrote:I'd worry if we did go ahead with that and Interplay found some way to weasel out of it, then they might try to accuse us of accepting money for the project with their usual logic. And even if that wouldn't hold in a court, it would still mean more delay, and that would give them time to come up with something else to delay us more...
And if they didn't weasel out of it, I'd worry about them finding some other way to interfere with the game's development.
Hear, hear! :D

As usual, the Fox has got the real skinny on Interplay - he already
knows what they're up to, kinda just trying to save their ars's from
certainly being overshadowed by our awesome quality dev team! :o

But the community still has the upper hand, because even without
the offending IP themes - we'll still be able to create as much cool
new stuff as we want, and they'll still be stuck with v1, 2 & 3! :D 8)

~~☻GAME ON DESCENTBB!☻~
After closing your browser, it'll be with you, in back of your mind just
waiting to inspire you by what you've seen, heard or read here today

6Dof/360 Descent Style game in Unreal Engine 3 UDK!
SOL Contingency: Proving Grounds MP - Xmas Release
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Pumo wrote:It was a Non-Profit project, just from the community, for the community. They (the developers) even rejected donations, Kickstarter offers and everything money related.
It was rather the userbase that insisted on funding the project in some way, but Max (the developer) always rejected the idea to (precisely) prevent any issues with Interplay.

However, almost everyone everywhere is assuming it was a for profit project. :frown:
I see those kind of comments on the PC Gamer article, assuming the Sol C developers made all this scandal to have publicity to increase their 'sales' and for 'marketing'.
There was no 'Sales' nor 'Marketing', as in the original idea it was going to be a free fanmade project.

But now, if they get rid of all Descent-based assets and transform it into a new game, they may get the chance to accept the donations and funding that we the users were suggesting since some time ago for the sake of quality.
I certainly didn't mean anything negative by what I said. I'm well-used to groups of people undertaking huge gaming projects for free (hell, I'm an active part of the FreeSpace community), but all I really knew about SC was that it was basically "Descent in UE3," and something about the general tone of the news I saw made me assume that it'd wind up costing money. (Even right now, when I look at the About page on the website, there's nothing stating that it'll be a freely-released project.) In any case, that makes Interplay legit superdicks for doing this, and if they really are bluffing, I hope the team decides to call them on it for all they're worth.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Please check your PM's Fox.
I used to like memes, but then I was Rick-rolled while taking over 9000 arrows to the knee like a boss from Chuck Norris.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

If nothing else, I'd like to see parts of this project continue just for the awesome remodeling of the D1 bots. (And if they are released in a format that can be plugged straight into the final game, can't fault people for using them right?)
@uToPL@y
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Location: Off World: Scouting for a lost mining colony in an uncharted sector of space.

Post by @uToPL@y »

To be truthful, most of the simple likenesses or similarities between the D123 series can't really be attributed directly to what's been created by the SolC team, and it's contributors - so since we're not using exact copies as stated in the C&D request, most of what's been done should still be able to be used with minor internal name & theme changes to comply with the essence of the request.

So, even though it's not exactly what was planned - gamers will still be very pleased with the end result, just have a look at some of the Sol Contingency ingame videos to see what I mean! :D

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I for one am still eager to play this game.
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
@uToPL@y
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by @uToPL@y »

As 'R' we ALL! :wink: :mrgreen: :twisted2: :D
Unless of course you're
lucky enough to be one
of the play testers! :twisted: 8)

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

@uToPL@y wrote:To be truthful, most of the simple likenesses or similarities between the D123 series can't really be attributed directly to what's been created by the SolC team, and it's contributors - so since we're not using exact copies as stated in the C&D request, most of what's been done should still be able to be used with minor internal name & theme changes to comply with the essence of the request.

So, even though it's not exactly what was planned - gamers will still be very pleased with the end result, just have a look at some of the Sol Contingency ingame videos to see what I mean! :D
Yeah, it's not as if SolC somehow got the original models in the FMV sequences.
@uToPL@y
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by @uToPL@y »

:lol: Hah! I could just see one of Interplay's past developer's claiming the right's to all the CGI, & deciding to make their own Descent 4 from within CryTech using their engine(which to my knowledge, still has controlling interests over Interplay stock - but the Descent IP stuff is still exclusive & somehow separate to my understanding), but I don't really keep up with all that high finance stuff anymore.
And short of some type of injunction or other to force Interplay to reveal their hand, it's better to be safe than sorry - and leave the cards where they lay, and just do our own thing as it were! :D

Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Don't miss the SolC Screencast on Youtube, it features some great stuff and info about what happened with SolC and what to expect in the future:

[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
@uToPL@y
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by @uToPL@y »

With some cool game footage too,
if you already know about the C&D! :D
More Game Play Footage @ time index 9:33! :o

Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I only had to watch 'till 0:12 and I was ready to chew my way through the walls of Interplay's corporate office and kill them all with my bare hands! :x :P (figuratively speaking, of course... if that can be figurative :P) Cool video! Not done yet...
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

The good news is, Interplay couldn't possibly survive a PR battle like Sol can dish out. The gamer community is huge and they love a story like this. I wouldn't be surprised if someone bigger and better than Interplay (ie. everyone) came around and picked up Sol and bought out the IP. Interplay definitely needs the money, haha.

Also, OMG that energy center. Wow.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

vision wrote: Also, OMG that energy center. Wow.
My thoughts exactly! :shock:
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Well done on the Team Screencast!

Count me in for the Crowd Funding!
I really like what I see, I like how the team expresses itself, I'm impressed with the project, and I'm sold.
I'll be watching eagerly for further updates as well as the impending Crowd Funding (and wouldnt be surprised do see a publisher pick this up like the gold nugget that it is).

RM
Fighting villains is what I do!
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

^^ That! :mrgreen:
Prepare for DESCENT!
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »

Just thought I'd chime in and let you guys know... Interplay isn't the Interplay we grew up knowing. It's barely more than an IP holder for the company that owns it. If you want to find the guys who did make Interplay Great, i.e. Brian Fargo, look at InXile Games. Nearly all the old Interplay people went there. It's too bad Interplay's IP didn't go with them....
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Indeed Valin.

Here's some history on Interplay.....

Interplay Part 3: Life In The Crater

and

Brian Fargo: Unite2012 (Part 1) My History with Interplay

cheers.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

In part 2 he talks about the important part of games being "cause and effect". Never thought about it that way... interesting.

Sol Contingency guys need to see 3:45-4:20PM in part 2. He also talks about picking up the rights for a game ("Wasteland") after a long wait. Interesting stuff. Cool guy.
@uToPL@y
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by @uToPL@y »

Duper wrote:
vision wrote: Also, OMG that energy center. Wow.
My thoughts exactly! :shock:
Shroudeye did the concept for that, and Hawk put a spit shine on it with the added effects! :D

Looks awesome in game though! Can't wait to see more! :o

Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Any updates on Gekko/Max discussions moving forward?
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

As a businessman, let me add this. Interplay should be thanking you for promoting the Descent brand. If Interplay was smart they would see this as good advertising and if they had any creative expertise left, then could spring board a whole new Descent game. Of course, the way they have handled things, I think the creative people have left long ago. Sadly, all the appears to be left is the guy in charge who down spiraled the company to the condition it is in now.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Just read the OP and followups. Interplay. What a bunch of dicks. Hell, they should be offering to invest in SC rather than find the time to write this ★■◆● up. They can eat my gauss and choke on energy powerups until they piss spreadfire.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Some cool screenshots of maps in progress. Looks very cool.

http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com/gallery/
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

One hope - that alter SOLC in UE4 does not take too much time. Because a week later, I finally got a new, cool system unit :) :D :P
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I'm not sure who the person was, but I was PM'd by someone who apparently knows(?) people on the team and was impressed with my work and suggested I apply to be a level designer. Even if this were true, I'm flattered, but I unfortunately have no time these days to learn a new building program to make levels at this time. However, I'm still interested to be a tester, natch. ;)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

In case ya'll haven't yet, check the 6DOF forum. There is a link to a new SC map that is amazing. It's near the bottom.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

It's probably too late to mention, but Parallax Descendent Studios could help...
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter