Sol Contingency: Descent to UDK

A promising Descent clone made using Unreal Engine 3 which will have greatly improved graphics and very similar to Descent 1 / Descent 2 style mechanics.
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Sol Contingency: Descent to UDK

Post by Aggressor Prime »

http://preparefordescent.com/

I believe this is the same guy who showed off the Descent to UDK - Experimental video on Youtube (
It looks like some good progress has been made and a teaser was released that featured a really nicely rendered Small Hulk (

Give your support and raise awareness.
MadMax1998
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re: Sol Contingency: Descent to UDK

Post by MadMax1998 »

Yes, it's the same game :) Thanks for sticking with it!
Max_T
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Max_T »

This needs to be seen!
Just signed up on their forums. :)
@uToPL@y
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Location: Off World: Scouting for a lost mining colony in an uncharted sector of space.

Post by @uToPL@y »

Small update:
Hi All, it's been awhile - just thought I'd mention a few milestones you might be interested in knowing about.

D2U has moved to the newer Feb 2013 UDK release version.

And I just posted the 'Tao of Descent' on DA, and used a few of MeTaLBeAsT's Descent wallpapers along with many others from DA! :D
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Just wanted to bring this back up. Sol Contingency has already released a gameplay video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avPeGfIQnw0). From my understanding, the multiplayer demo is due for late March/early April.
6DoF mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Sonic/Samus/Kirby main in Super Smash Bros 4, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yep, I've actually got to fly around in the level from that video (MUHAHAHAHAHA). There are still some things to be done but right now it already looks awesome and feels like Descent.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Cheers Fox to you and crew. I just read the update. Sounds like a good decision.

Good luck out there and looking forward to release. (when that happens. :mrgreen: )
Viper1999
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Viper1999 »

Speaking of updates, They've just uploaded the test footage not long ago!

*yawn*, now where was I again...
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Yeeeeeah!I like it more and more! :D
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

http://preparefordescent.com/bad-news-and-good-news/

It looks like Interplay has decided to try to shut Sol Contingency down while giving a cold shoulder to letting it even live on as an Interplay asset. Seriously, Interplay really needs to improve their public relations as their interactions with Sol Contingency make NO SENSE...

Fortunately, it looks like the game will live on, just without any Descent-like assets, so no Pyro-GX, no plasma cannon, no Level 1 mission like we remembered it.

I just hate how it seems like Interplay is trying to kill Descent while spitting in our faces. I really hope their company sees real change in the future, because now, they just seem to be like a twitching sick person who is grabbing hold of us and preventing any attempt from us to allow its adopted children to grow. If only a healthier company could just buy the IP of Descent from them.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Is Interplay an actual game company or just a bunch of lawyers? Have any of you seen the shitty games they are pushing, none of which seem to be in development except for Battle Chess? Seriously? What a ★■◆●ing joke. Someone needs to liberate Descent from that copyright black hole.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

My answer to Interplay

Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

We're all in agreement with you guys on the team, believe me. And we're all as confused as you are.
The weapons should be mostly fine, I think, because most of Descent's weapons were based on movies or other games. The Plasma Cannon shouldn't even need a rename since it was basically the same as Doom's to begin with. And most of the weapons we have, from the improved graphics alone, don't look very much like Descent's anymore. You've seen our lasers on youtube.
And even Interplay can't sue us for a game that has lasers in it.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

they have posted to Facebook now. a C&D Letter. bunch of interplay cry babies!
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

LOL. Facebook. Interplay's legions of fans (all 1,281 of them). What a cutting edge company whose stock was trading at less than $0.02 per share before the eventually gave up on the exchange. Hopefully Interplay's assets will get bought out by a more reasonable company and we can forget all about these losers.

Beisdes, this ★■◆● is so easy to get around. SOL just needs to do what every other company does . Release the game without copyrighted assets, then later a "fan" releases a "mod" of the game. The end.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Those were my exact thoughts Vision. :wink:
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Viper1999
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Viper1999 »

I was almost devastated when I saw this.
*yawn*, now where was I again...
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Don't miss the SolC Screencast on Youtube, it features some great stuff and info about what happened with SolC and what to expect in the future:

[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

homeyduh, if you have a beta version of SOLC, throw me a link to download on my mail 6DoFan@gmail.com
You'll be able to know my opinion, and I will be able to know your opinion.
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

I don't have the playable version of SolC since I'm not a developer for the team yet. Even if I did have access, It wouldn't be right to share assets like that until PG is out. Ask Max if you want access to the game. For now, pictures will have to do when it comes to my map, unless you download UDK and check out the map in the editor.
6DoF mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Sonic/Samus/Kirby main in Super Smash Bros 4, and all-around nice guy.

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

And rightly so. It runs a good team and I hope everything will turn out fine. Let this be a pleasant surprise. :wink:
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

I actually just finished another map yesterday. It's awaiting review, but when it is, I'll post screen shots

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

This map is made already in UE4? If there is an opportunity to show some screenshots, it would be extremely interesting.
And if you know the approximate dates of release SOLC, it will also be interesting to know

homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Unfortunately it's not made in UE4 yet. Just UDK. I don't have UE4 yet, but when I do, I'll tear it up there too. The release date for PG is the same as always: it'll be ready when it's ready. Should be soon from what I hear though. The C&D took its toll, explaining the delay.

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

And there ya go Homey! AWESOME work! MOAARRRR!!! :evil:

[youtube]JvY2ZjhuvZI[/youtube]
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Will do! I'm currently starting up a tougher project which will require even more thinking outside of the box. Right now, I'm mostly using stock Static meshes and materials and manipulating them the best I can to get the effect I want. Triaxiality was made WITHOUT tailored meshes or materials. I think it's best that way because it forces me to be more creative with my maps and how I use my assets.

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I pray for only one thing - that in SOLC dynamics of motion of the ship was as in D1, not as D3.
Even better would be, if the ship's speed could be adjusted at the request of the player, as in D2X-XL.
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

I believe that Max stated somewhere that it is going to have the same feel as D1/2. Idk about customizable speeds, but that's definitely something you can ask about in the Developer forum on the Sol Contingency forums XD

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I'm sure the developers SOLC well aware that multi-functional menu change settings as in D2X-XL (and the most important, a very simple and comfortable) are extremely attractive for descenters. If they can do it, they'll do it.
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Naturally, but they won't know that that's what's on your mind unless you tell them! n.n

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

This is just my opinion. Here is 2794 descenters, and I have not yet seen their opinion. Maybe I'm wrong, most of them have other preferences.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I can confidently say that if the new game will only in Steam, in which case it will lose 70% of potential players who are fans of Descent. At least in Russia.
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

I believe somewhere it was stated that it will not be a Steam exclusive. Don't quote me on that. I understand that a lot of people don't like steam.

This is what I found on the forum:
Madmax1998 wrote:The game will use Steam to advertise and find servers. You will require a Steam account and have the service running next to the game. If not using Steam, you can only join games through direct IP connections.
I'm not sure this is the final decision but it seems you won't NEED Steam to play SolC.

http://forum.preparefordescent.com/view ... team#p7346

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Do not worry. If SOLC will be successful, but the paid game, it will be at once hacked and it will be available on the Internet for free download. At least, I play Steam games on pirate hosting.
I'll tell you one simple thing. If SOLC will be paid, and it will not be hacked by pirates, that only means that the game was unsuccessful.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Orrrr you could not be a cheapskate and just buy the games on Steam. Imagine that!
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

At first, I wasn't going to let it bother me and rise above, but I realized that I'm actually going to be on the developing team. I'm gonna put my time and stiff backs and headaches and sore eyes working on this game. I plan on giving it my all, and saying you want me to do all that for free is a disgrace to me, the other developers, and my family that I'm trying to provide for. That's not cool at all dude.

I know that someone is bound to pirate it, but it upsets me to hear people expecting to have our hard work for free.

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Also the suggestion that getting the game on Steam would "alienate" anyone is patently ridiculous, given that (for better or worse) it's practically a monopoly in terms of PC gaming exposure. And despite sigma's assertions, I see a hell of a lot of Steam guides written in Cyrillic.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

homeyduh wrote:I know that someone is bound to pirate it, but it upsets me to hear people expecting to have our hard work for free.
1. If I see in the store D1-2-3 collector's edition in a beautiful performance, I'll buy it for $ 100 right away.
2. If I pay for all the movies, music and games, I'm just going broke.
Top Gun wrote: And despite sigma's assertions, I see a hell of a lot of Steam guides written in Cyrillic.
It is exhausting communication in English. It's awful, but I have to endure this. I would be happy if you could speak Russian.
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

I'm just gonna drop out of this conversation. I don't want to say anything else on the matter.