why DOESN'T the world seem to care?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

why DOESN'T the world seem to care?

Post by callmeslick »

"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: why DOESN'T the world seem to care?

Post by Spidey »

“There's only one problem: In all likelihood, you probably didn't hear about it until just now.”

No, actually I’ve been following this story on the NewsHour.

Gonna have to ask those “other” outlets” why they don’t cover news like this.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I've only come across one or two articles directly about the tragedy, but I've seen at least about four or five articles discussing why it wasn't well-covered in the media.

So, it seems to be getting more attention now... by virtue of not having gotten much attention before. Interesting phenomenon.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

It seems that someone is always massacring a village somewhere in Africa. Maybe the repetitiveness of it all is having an effect on people.

Terrorists don't massacre villages. Time to use an appropriate label...
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

The media market doesn't demand a supply of that.

If African countries were the majority source of media market demand it would and somewhere in Nigeria some guy would be asking why no one cares about Putin's aggressive tactics or Kardashian cleavage.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:It seems that someone is always massacring a village somewhere in Africa. Maybe the repetitiveness of it all is having an effect on people.

spoken like a true ugly American.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

and what exactly do you suggest we do?
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

CUDA wrote:and what exactly do you suggest we do?
as Americans, we ought to lose the myopia which keeps us from focusing on all areas of the planet equally, and stop putting Western lives ahead of those of people in other places. Rather, in a Christian fashion, if I might add.....
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

The world is a big place.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

callmeslick wrote:
CUDA wrote:and what exactly do you suggest we do?
as Americans, we ought to lose the myopia which keeps us from focusing on all areas of the planet equally, and stop putting Western lives ahead of those of people in other places. Rather, in a Christian fashion, if I might add.....
you suggested nothing but we think more about these people. cant see that doing much good. try again. what do you suggest we do
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

CUDA wrote:what do you suggest we do
Actually, we might not have to do much!

The answer to "why DOESN'T the world seem to care?" is easily attributed to the psychology behind in-group/out-group thinking. People who are more like us get more attention, or if something affecting a certain group can be framed in a familiar way. We can more easily relate to a crazy person coming into work and shooting up the place (sadly) than the life of villagers in meager dwellings under constant threat of attack from roving hordes of bandits. But there is evidence our compassion is reaching further and further. For instance, the topic of women's rights in Afghanistan was not something people regularly talked about even 20 years ago.

Marcel Kinsbourne writes about "The Expanding In-Group" and it's effects. Today it is not clear exactly what the negative byproducts of the expanding in-group are, or if they will outweigh the good, but it is clear that good is happening and will continue to happen. The momentum is already there and we only need to push it along a little bit.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

thanks for the expansion, Vision, and yes, CUDA, that is ALL it would take. Rather than browbeat me, why don't you try my approach and urge your fellow 'conservatives' to do likewise. In a way, I'm suggesting that we all take a page from the book TRUE Christians take to heart, isn't that a good start?
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

I agree, Love thy neighbor. ABSOLUTELY. but you are proposing changing peoples hearts that will AT BEST take generations if possible at all IE: the Arab /Israeli conflict

what do we do while we are changing peoples hearts and those people are slaughtering thousands of others in the meantime?

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

CUDA wrote:I agree, Love thy neighbor. ABSOLUTELY. but you are proposing changing peoples hearts that will AT BEST take generations if possible at all IE: the Arab /Israeli conflict

what do we do while we are changing peoples hearts and those people are slaughtering thousands of others in the meantime?
I guess I was aiming a bit lower, and asking people to broaden their focus, not necessarily change their hearts.
George Orwell---"1984"
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

callmeslick wrote:
Sergeant Thorne wrote:It seems that someone is always massacring a village somewhere in Africa. Maybe the repetitiveness of it all is having an effect on people.

spoken like a true ugly American.
Spoken like someone who believes themselves to be superior somehow. I'm pretty sure I know better than to believe it's true. You asked a very simple question, and you got my opinion, which I believe you would find, if you considered it instead of fainting dead away, is not far from your own. The difference is that I don't believe that what is really wrong with this world will be fixed by anything you or Vision imagine.

A better question would be (because why should anyone give a ★■◆● if the superior people of the U.S. care about Africa--why should we presume that it falls to us to fix the world for everyone else?)... Why are so many villages massacred in Africa--why is there so much killing, often on such a large scale? I don't think the answer is brief or simple, though parts of the answer are almost certainly fairly straight-forward. It has always surprised me that these villages--these people are so defenseless. I think it's incredible. On a certain level it makes me wish I were over there, because I would like to have a thing or two to "say" about killing the inhabitants of a village. But really it makes me wonder how there is no established power structure or interest to provide for the defense of a people or a territory. You would think some sort of rule would pop up, for good or for evil, to contend with anyone who challenges its domain. Are these areas, or this area considered so worthless?

Your comments about Christianity ring hollow with me. The truth is that the world is playing out as it will apart from God. It is not a Christian's place to contend with and dispute the happenings in the kingdom of darkness, but to call people out to the kingdom of God. That's not Christianity you're waving around...
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

And if we go and try to help those people…what more meddling around in other people’s affairs, didn’t I just read endless posts from the same people crying about compassion in this issue, that we should just let the Middle East settle its own problems….sheesh, a little consistency would look good on you guys about now.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

actually, my view is just the opposite, Spidey. Why get all worked up when 7 people die in France, if we're going to say little if not ZERO, when 2000 people get killed in Africa?
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

callmeslick wrote:
CUDA wrote:I agree, Love thy neighbor. ABSOLUTELY. but you are proposing changing peoples hearts that will AT BEST take generations if possible at all IE: the Arab /Israeli conflict

I guess I was aiming a bit lower, and asking people to broaden their focus, not necessarily change their hearts.
that's all good and well. Let's broaden our focus.
But you still havent answered my question.

― Theodore Roosevelt
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Maybe slick has in mind American support for local Nigerian militia groups. Now there's a worthy international cause. ★■◆● American military presence--insert an organization to work only with people who live in the villages\neighborhoods, get to know them, and provide them with training materials and supplies to facilitate self-reliance and the defense of their lives and neighborhoods. When the threat is too great (a neighborhood VS an army), they can petition congress for American military support.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:actually, my view is just the opposite, Spidey. Why get all worked up when 7 people die in France, if we're going to say little if not ZERO, when 2000 people get killed in Africa?
France produces decent wines...Nigeria doesn't.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

CUDA, I did answer your question. That you expect me to suggest some sort of dramatic action seems to be where your problem lies.
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

callmeslick wrote:CUDA, I did answer your question. That you expect me to suggest some sort of dramatic action seems to be where your problem lies.
so, just so I understand your position properly.
you are concerned about the thousands of people being killed in Africa, and your solution to the problem is we talk to them and get the people that are killing them to think about others. Is that what you're saying?

and what exactly do you mean by "broaden your focus"

Without clarification that could mean anything. It could mean that they are too limitied in the scope of who and how they kill.

your statement is ambiguous.

― Theodore Roosevelt
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

And again I agree communication is usually never a bad thing.
but how does that save lives now?

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

CUDA wrote:And again I agree communication is usually never a bad thing.
but how does that save lives now?
beats me. I never suggested that we COULD save lives immediately. I only wondered at the disparity of concern and alarm.
George Orwell---"1984"