Time to axe this forum.

Feedback for the Outrage Entertainment D3 dev team members - bug reports, patch issues, your raves (or rants).
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

about this time last year, didn't they say we'd get the 1.5 patch?????
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by JMEaT:
<b> This is why America kicks ass: Kevin Bentley Image

Image </b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's obvious the above bill board was over exaggerated, so I have rectified the situation by creating this post pointing that fact out.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Where'd that come from?

And where did Kevin Bentley go?
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I "leave" for a month and what do we have? Hmm, no 1.5. Surprise surprise.

Y'know, I'm sure Kevin is a great guy. A busy guy. But really, com'on here. If he's serious about the patch, the least he could do is post a monthly status report. That's not asking for much, is it? Maybe 10 minutes out of 44,640? Something to allay the fears of critics, something to show some sign of life? Alas, without that, 1.5 is vaporware as good as cancelled. Or open the damned Descent 3 source code. With Outrage gone and no foreseeable Descent games in the near future, it's not like the 1998-era engine is worth much now, is it?
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

E-mailed Kevin today.

Honestly, I'll fall over if the mail doesn't bounce.

I'll have a heart attack if he replies.

And I'll flat out have a cerebral hemorrhage if 1.5 is EVER released.

*sigh*
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

Wow by that logic, let's hope you have a cerebral hemorrhage . Image
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

My question is, does anyone know where Kevin Bentley lives? If so, there's the possibility of picketing on his front lawn and screaming, "We want 1.5! We want 1.5!" Image

I'm just joking, of course. I know that the D3 community greatly desires 1.5, and I feel that it would be a great thing if it was released, but you have to admit one thing: having the 1.5 patch won't get more people to find and join our community. It would be great to have, but I don't think it's as necessary to D3's survival as some people think.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Looks like my health is in no danger WHATSOEVER! Image
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">
Delivery Failure Report
Your document: D3 1.5 patch
was not delivered to: kevin@kevlar.net
because: Router: Failed to connect to SMTP host KEVLAR.NET because : Server not responding

What should you do?
You can resend the undeliverable document to the recipients listed above by choosing the Resend button or the Resend command on the Actions menu.
Once you have resent the document you may delete this Delivery Failure Report.
If resending the document is not successful you will receive a new failure report.
Unless you receive other Delivery Failure Reports, the document was successfully delivered to all other recipients.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

That was kinda' mean. You know, to say 1.5 is underway and then leave us high and dry without so much as a word. Image
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

guess someone spammed that email adress to death so that he finally closed it. sad thing is the 1.5 would also be good for level-designer / mod-maker cause it removes a lot of the limits for custom textures / custom objects / custom sounds and so on, as far as i have heard.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

How long has it been since D3 was released? Maybe they'll just release the source...? Image
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

I don't want to hear about it anymore; like with D4, the only thing I want is to see it complete and installed on my computer.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Dead Mail #2 has come back.

I think it's safe to say that Kevin won't be completing 1.5 any time before my eyes are still good enough to play D3.

I'm sure Kevin fully intended to do what he said he would - but things tend to get in the way of non-paid work; life, paid employment, women, booze, drugs, rock'n'roll etc.

So, when you read this in 2009 Kevin, don't feel bad. We're all out Playing Descent 5 in Virtual Reality on our 12GHz AMD machines with 32GB of RAM. Image

Like I said - time to axe this forum.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Jon the Great:
Wow by that logic, let's hope you have a cerebral hemorrhage . Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CHEERS! Image
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Topher:
How long has it been since D3 was released? Maybe they'll just release the source...? Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice dream .. but you'll have to pry it from Interplay's cold dead fingers. Image they still remember D2 for crying out loud. As in they released the CD music in MP3 format a month ago. .. nice tunes too.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

Did Parallax have to get permission from Interplay to release the source for D1 or D2? I'm pretty sure Outrage (or what's left of them) would be able to release the D3 source without asking Interplay first.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Oh Mobius, perhaps you should see a doctor? Image

I sent an email to Kevin Bentley asking about the status of the patch. The response was that he is still committed to getting it out, but he hasn't gotten the Mac source from Matt Toschlog. So at this time, there's nothing he can do about it.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Well the Mac source belongs to GraphSim. Outrage doesn't exist anymore. Matt Toschlog works for a THQ-owned company. Interplay is going bankrupt, slowly but surely. I don't think we have a chance of getting 1.5. Image
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by SSC-Thunderbird:
Did Parallax have to get permission from Interplay to release the source for D1 or D2?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I recall, certain parts of the code are owned my Parallax and some are owned by Interplay, such as the netcode (which is interplay's) There in lays the rub. Now with the blood fued, it's unlikely that there will be any negotiations between Para and Inter. ...ever...

We went thru all this when "we" were trying to get clearance to build a D4 on our own.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Interplay owns the netcode and MVE playback portions of the D2 engine. The sound portion was licensed from HMI.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Upon releasing the D2 source, Parallax removed all code that they didn't own the copyright for. The DOS sound, modem and MVE support were all dropped at that time (MVE support has been put into D2X, though).
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Do we know the breakdown of D3? Isn't the Fusion engine really consist of 2 separate engines?
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Haven't a clue, but I'm guessing only the MVE code is not copyrighted by Outrage. All the connection related stuff isn't part of the D3 code anyway, as they're all using separate DLLs.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

MVE is Interplay's movie format.
Fugue
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Fugue »

So, yeah. I'm not dead, but I have been visiting about once per month or so (except for the past year or so).

Since the topic reads "Time to axe this forum," but the last few posts are discussing the finer points of the Fusion engine and what format what the movies are in. I understand if you still would like to get rid of this forum. If you would still like to get rid of the forum, please post in the appropriate forum (here).

Thanks!

-Fugue