Descent Underground - Kickstarter goal reached!

The return of Descent! Forum for the reboot which will be developed by Descendent Studios.

Moderators: Lothar, dunkelza, Drakona

Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Descent Underground - Kickstarter goal reached!

Post by Lothar »

Congrats to Royal OBrien for pushing it over the top!

Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Descent Underground - Kickstarter goal reached!

Post by Aggressor Prime »

Finally, the Descent saga continues!
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

We did it!!!
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII just wanna CELEBRATE!!!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Now lets just see if it holds... Its been going up and down a bit since I started watching a few minutes ago, so I increased my pledge a little. :P
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

IIRC, once a project reaches it's goal, Kickstarter won't let anyone to back off below the required goal minimum (to prevent trolling).
So if it reached 600,000 it won't go below that.
You can cancel pledges that counts beyond the 600,000 tho.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

And it is actually still adding backers at a pretty good pace, even if the total amount isn't going up any. :P
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

We all still have to buy the Torch, though I'm sure there will eventually be some mods for the GX, Phoenix, etc...
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

AFAIK, the Torch can be earned in-game, but the Torch KS (that's a different skinned version) must be bought.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
VertigoAbyss
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by VertigoAbyss »

It's official. Descent Underground is a reality! They will continue fundraising, so we might still get the Torch KS
Prepare For Descent!
The beginning has not yet been written...
...Prepare for Descent: Underground!
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Yeah, it almost feels like a dream, to have a new Descent after so many years!
We made it happen (both the backers and Descendent Studios), kudos to the Descent community for helping on this!
:E :E :E :E :E :E

And congrats to Wingman and his team, this will totally kickass! :D :)
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

I'm not as interested in the prequel as the eventual sequel to D3. Let's cross our fingers and hope this is a successful franchise reboot.

There are still a lot of unanswered questions regarding this alien virus.
dwlpunk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by dwlpunk »

Now things are going to get interesting.

I'll be honest I was surprised to see the funding go through, mostly because of their lackluster introduction at the beginning of the KS. I pledged $80 anyway, and know I am very glad I did. I am very excited to observe the development of this game through the next year or so as I was with Elite, and still am with Star Citizen.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

dwlpunk wrote:Now things are going to get interesting.

I'll be honest I was surprised to see the funding go through, mostly because of their lackluster introduction at the beginning of the KS.
It's a testimony to the hard work and talent of that team that they went from all of us being like "wtf is this crap? Miner wars II?" to having some serious support from within the Descent community. The KS trailer they uploaded a couple days ago was beautiful. Kajisan did an awesome job of capturing "Descent" with that.

This game is gonna rock.
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

all I can say is...

:)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I'm still keeping up my "Inferno" push.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

vision wrote:I'm not as interested in the prequel as the eventual sequel to D3. Let's cross our fingers and hope this is a successful franchise reboot.

There are still a lot of unanswered questions regarding this alien virus.
THIS +1

I enjoyed D3 FAR more than D1 or D2.
I really liked the faster pace of D3, as well as the 3 ships.
Learning to fly the tank like a pyro really changed the game for me...tho the phoenix was always my favorite, except in team battles with Datguy and the 'Ants.
Then I flew the tank because flown well, it was the be-all end-all of ships.
Pyro vauss pilots were a serious dent in that option tho :lol:

That said, VERY MUCH looking forward to flying D:U
I just LIKE flying Descent style ships, even more than sims or even real prop planes.
Fighting villains is what I do!
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I even know why you like Phoenix :) Quick maneuvering bastard )))
I love helicopter simulator. But of course, Descent can not be compared to anything else.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Lothar wrote:
dwlpunk wrote:Now things are going to get interesting.

I'll be honest I was surprised to see the funding go through, mostly because of their lackluster introduction at the beginning of the KS.
It's a testimony to the hard work and talent of that team that they went from all of us being like "wtf is this crap? Miner wars II?" to having some serious support from within the Descent community. The KS trailer they uploaded a couple days ago was beautiful. Kajisan did an awesome job of capturing "Descent" with that.

This game is gonna rock.
I feel the same way. I had a complete "wait wut" reaction to that initial presentation, and it wasn't until a week or two had gone by and you and Drakona had posted your feelings on it that I felt comfortable making a pledge. Fast-forward a couple of pledge upgrades and add-ons later, and there I was sitting at work yesterday, frantically mashing the refresh button during my free periods (and maybe once or twice during my teaching periods >_>). Fortunately I was able to get home in time to fire up the Twitch stream just before we hit the magic number. I've never been this excited to see a campaign meet is goal...though it helped that we took almost every single hour to do it. :lol:

The one thing I do find disappointing is how many people backed out of their pledges during that final hour or two. I understand the argument that people were pledging more than they were willing to give just to make sure the campaign reached its goal, but that really goes against the whole spirit of crowdfunding. You should only pledge what you're willing and able to give, so that the project team can count on having those listed funds to work with. If those pledges had remained legit, we would have easily reached the $625k threshold in those last few hours, and might have even made a run at $650k. Just a bummer.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

The average backer still gave around $73.71, which ain't too shabby. ;)
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

I think it was just one backer, who had pledged a large sum (probably a $10k pledge), and was subtracting money each time the count grew well past the $600k mark.
Makes sense, cause as I was watching, it would go down $5000, then down $500, etc.
It wasnt going down in small increments, like people who had pledged $150 and were deleting their pledge.
Maybe it was Chris Roberts heh!

I read that the total *would* have been $632,000 or so, without any deletions.

At any rate, the Torch will be released to all the backers when it hits $650k on the website.
Not sure how steam enters into that equation either.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

It was at least 4 backers at the $10k level who backed down (there were 10 at one point, but it finished with 6.) A couple of them stopped at $5k, one stopped at $2k, and one went all the way down to $1k.

There were also a few who climbed up from $1k to $2k or $2.5k.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

The fact that the devs are widely known, and have a solid reputation, likely brought in many of the large backers. That bodes well for the future of the project.

D:U has really taken shape over the last few weeks, and once more game footage is available, there will be a HUGE influx of
pilots.
The latest trailer for D:U really projects well, and this is going to bring in a steady stream of people as well.
dunkelza
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by dunkelza »

Pumo wrote:AFAIK, the Torch can be earned in-game, but the Torch KS (that's a different skinned version) must be bought.
My understanding is that the Torch-KS will be given free to every backer who backs BEFORE the $650k target is reached.

I'm not sure if the Torch (not KS) will be an unlock or how it will be given in general for people who don't get the Torch-KS.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Top Gun wrote:You should only pledge what you're willing and able to give, so that the project team can count on having those listed funds to work with.
Well, they could count on having $600k at that point, it's just that anything further was up in the air (and it is possible that it stole momentum). I figure the pledgers who did this wanted to see D:U happen first, and what they really wanted to give would come second after that.