Media update!

A promising Descent clone made using Unreal Engine 3 which will have greatly improved graphics and very similar to Descent 1 / Descent 2 style mechanics.
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Media update!

Post by homeyduh »

This post is going to cover the updates that have been going on over at our Sol Contingency forums and I'll do a better job to keep you guys in the loop as things happen.

First, there are some preliminary screenshots of a map that I'm working on called Ice Breaker. The back story I have for this map is this:

Planet Phendrana was devastated when a meteor hit the surface, diverting it off of its normal orbit. Now that it is further away from its Sun, the whole planet has frozen over. There are massive blizzards that cover the planet as a result of the the change in orbit. All human installations were abandoned prior to the catastrophic event, but some of the machinery survived the climate change. Still performing maintenance, the robots of ISB-0215 have cleared upper levels of the facility, but were frozen in place when an insulated water reservoir was breached when the ceiling of the main atrium gave out. I chose the name Ice Breaker because of 1, the ice (duh lol) and 2, because I designed this map to be a balance of vertical and horizontal action to "break the ice" for non-6DoF players.

In addition to the map, Max also posted the soundtrack for Ice Breaker, which is Martin's Isolation

I hope you guys enjoy playing the map when it comes out!

Next, as mentioned in another post, we announced our main ship for our Proving Grounds release: the Eclipse.

There has also been a released screenshot of our missiles of choice for Proving Grounds: The Dumbfire Missile and the Seeker Missile (names are WIP of course). There was also a screenshot of a bot that DuderSeb came up with (tentatively the "Stealth Hulk)

1/2 Hawk is an absolute badass when it come to UDK and UE4 and he designed this for use in his recreation of Neptune in Sol Contingency. It's like the classic screens in D1 and D2 with rotating bots, but in 3D! Fear not, the classic rotating bot screens are still around ;)

Keep your eyes peeled for more info! Feel free to hit us up at our forums or just PM me. We want to keep the Descent community involved with this game because we first and foremost want to make a game that we can be playing with you guys as a community. As fans. 1/2Hawk said it best when someone from the DU forums came over with some questions about microtransactions and other things.
1/2Hawk wrote:...right or wrong we're not in it for the money - would rather be playing with y'all.
The concern for community involvement has also reached within our Dev forums:
DuderSeb wrote:I really want us to get more intimate with the community. I'm worried about this a lot.
Not only do I want to be a project that gets the community involved, but also I would love to be able to take all levels of feedback into account in order to try and make something that appeals to all just like Descent did.
Verran wrote:Same here. There's several reasons I, personally, haven't brought up and pressed this as an issue:

A tangible, working game is far more valuable than any talk: true feedback will come post-release
PG is a demo, so almost everything can be considered temporary (UE4 after PG?)
Sol C has limited development time & resources

For now, that's all, but we will be releasing some videos soon. I'll leave you with Verran's video of flying around our first announced map, Vertigo, using a Sidewinder Pro and trichording everywhere.
6DoF mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Sonic/Samus/Kirby main in Super Smash Bros 4, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: Media update!

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yeah I would like us to get community feedback more but I went by the same logic that to get feedback you should have something to get feedback on. The best games are the ones where the devs listen to their fans and don't discard their input, that's true, but they're also the ones where the devs think critically about the advice itself and where it's coming from.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Oh yeah of course, but we've given out a bunch of concepts and videos that are proof of concepts for now. For example, Verran's video shows flawless flight mechanics that closely mimic the mechanics we're looking to get. From that people can critique what we have so far. Of course the feedback is going to be a lot more meaningful when we launch PG, but until then, we want the community to know that we're listening to what they're saying and will still be listening once we launch PG. For now, a lot of things can easily change so now is a good time that people can comment what they think of what we have and we can take those critiques to heart before we get too far into development and it becomes way harder to change things.
6DoF mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Sonic/Samus/Kirby main in Super Smash Bros 4, and all-around nice guy.

Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

The videos would be a decent source of criticism if we weren't releasing a demo in a few weeks. As it is the criticism from the demo is the best kind of criticism by a long shot. A very long shot.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Lol again, of course. The main purpose of the post, however was to keep awareness raised and let them know we're not out of the picture and we're still hard at work. I mean look at this awesome teaser Max put on our FB page!
Attachments
FB_IMG_1428587840024.jpg

homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Gameplay video update!

Sol Contingency: Proving Grounds - News and Updates!:

homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Also, Max put up a FAQ page at our old domain, http://www.preparefordescent.com

homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

New update on our player ship concepts!
Duderseb wrote:Check out the ship designs that we created before finally choosing the Eclipse! Also visible is the Talon, our current placeholder, featured in our recent team cast.
Cheers!
Attachments
SolCPlayerShips.jpg

vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Those ships are really cool. Keep up the good work SoL!
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Hey guys, I know that we devs have been quiet, but I assure you that we're working hardcore to get you guys a bunch of cool new (and maybe old) stuff. Keep an eye out for new updates!

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Can I buy this already?

edit: Throwing cash at the monitor but nothing happens.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Lol give it a few weeks and you can throw all the cash you want at us and it'll make the difference XD

homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Hey guys...guess what we've got! You know what it is, we know what it is...here's our take on number 9, the "Cerberus Missile"!

homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

What are these? Any guesses what they do?
Attachments
Mk40 Atlas HVR - Concept - Website-20150509_145435_1.jpg
Mk40 Atlas HVR - Ingame - Website-20150509_145459_1.jpg

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I'm guessing they GOTTA GO FAST!
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Yeah, Max spoiled it on Facebook lol they're our take on the beloved mercs

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The color gave it away, but if they had been painted blue they would have made a solid contender for homing missiles too IMO. I like it, but if I had to say something critical about the design: the engines in the back look kinda small for a missile that is supposed to be really fast... I think you could actually get away with all 3 engine nozzles basically taking up the entire back of the missile, it would do a better job of visually selling the idea that its really fast if the engines stand out compared to normal missiles.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Isaac wrote:Can I buy this already?

edit: Throwing cash at the monitor but nothing happens.

[youtube]1VVdPKOFdqY[/youtube]
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

That was the best thing I've seen in awhile lol got my name wrong though lol

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

homeyduh wrote:lol got my name wrong though lol
[youtube]tiEdCbyKhMs[/youtube]
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Haha awesome. I would freak out if I saw it change on my side too lol

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Were I that good, I'd probably be getting paid more.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

The latest on the "Eclipse" on Facebook

Trust me, there is more to this ship than what meets the eye on that post. :twisted2:
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Re: I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE
Postby 1/2Hawk » 14 Aug 2015, 15:40

Sounds like its time for a Willy Wonka backstage tour for X number of lucky golden ticket winners... Which of you can keep secrets?
I think developers SOLC need to understand the cry of the soul Poxy and show at least the new video demo, if possible.

(I can not write this message on the forum SOLC, because two of my account is blocked for an unknown reason.)
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Re: I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE
Postby Yoshimitsu » 15 Aug 2015, 05:50
After all I just finished putting together a Sidewinder 3D Pro USB converter together hours ago in anticipation of all the 6dof goodness coming soon :D
Although I have long been accustomed to play on the mouse, today I bought a 55-inch TV set and connected to a computer specifically for the new game.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

sigma wrote: (I can not write this message on the forum SOLC, because two of my account is blocked for an unknown reason.)
[youtube]b5IqispA9Xg[/youtube]
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Re: Preview of Sublevel-Zero on Ars
Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 23 Sep 2015, 23:11
Duper wrote:
Hrm. Looking at their trailer, I see a whole lotta meh. I'm sure there are plenty that will go for it, but the mechanics are too clunky and arcade style. Gfx are shiny, but looks very much like Tron. There are two other "Descent games" that are made by folks within the community. One is from here in my town.

Geocore and Talon ...not to mention Retrovirus

imo, this isn't Descent, it's a cheap knock off.
Still thx for the heads up. I quite watching ARS a long time ago.

Same here really, from what I could see of it, looks a lot like D3 tech almost! :|
I just want to hope that in the SOLC will have a good control of the ships. Since the game does not exist if there is no good control of the ship. I would be happy with ship control as well as in Pyromania.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Remove these rectangles in contact with shots to the ship! It is very annoying!!

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Open beta will start today!
Clik!

Also Sigma, that only happens when you're about to die and only last for a fraction of a second.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

It would be good, if so. Because I stopped playing Retrovirus for this reason. And also I am extremely disappointed with the excessive pixelation fragments of shots, smoke, and other details in Sublevel Zero. I use a large TV as a monitor, so it's especially annoying, it is practically impossible to play comfortably, dammit.
Yoshimitsu
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Yoshimitsu »

Sol Contingency has a new gameplay trailer to go along with the closed Beta as well. It looks amazing :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bAIYl5CoVY