Here's a thing...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Here's a thing...

Post by MD-1118 »

I'm just going to leave this here for now:

[youtube]mzWnS4F6_Wc[/youtube]

http://blog.thecornellreview.com/2015/0 ... -plays-on/

I'm far too tired and appalled by this sort of sophistry to even begin to form a meaningful critique on this at the moment, but I will do so later.

If anyone has any doubts as to how I feel about this, the following is a loose approximation of how it makes me feel:

To him, boredom was a greater evil than hunger or sexual frustration, for boredom signaled the waste of a mind.
~ Anthony Piers, Ghost
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Here's a thing...

Post by Nightshade »

These kids are only regurgitating what they're being indoctrinated with in those very same "universities." They're no longer places of higher learning. They're indoctrination centers. Would you expect otherwise?
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Isn't that what Twitter is for?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

ThunderBunny wrote:These kids are only regurgitating what they're being indoctrinated with in those very same "universities." They're no longer places of higher learning. They're indoctrination centers. Would you expect otherwise?
just out of curiousity, how much time have you spent in or around Ivy League campuses in recent years, or ANY time? Teaching people to think critically, and question everything is NOT indoctrination, nor has it ever been. Sad that 'conservatism' now equates to anti-intellectualism. Buckley would be appalled.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

MD, this sort of thing has been going on since I can remember. Lotsa very radical thinking happens among young, bright people. Most sort it out into a more practical, realistic approach. I find nothing particularly 'appalling' about this.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Universities have always spurred free and radical thought, for time eternal, because that's where the youth and the next generations congregate. Where they congregate, they tend to think that the status quo usually needs changing. We'd have no change and no social development if it weren't for our youth, along with their radical thinking and their pushing of old social boundaries. Change has always been the desire of a restless and energetic youth, while stagnation and resistance to change has always been the condition of adults. Adults have seen it all while the youth haven't seen enough. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.