Teacher suspended for washing boys dirty mouth out with soap

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Teacher suspended for washing boys dirty mouth out with soap

Post by Avder »

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/06 ... index.html

So this is what its coming to? What was she supposed to do? Suspensions and the like werent working, but this got the kid to behave for the rest of the day and the teacher gets suspended indefinitly. The kid was uttering sexual explitives to a third grader for petes sake! If anything, he should have had to suck on the soap bar for an hour until his mouth is REALLY clean.

I think the ultrahippies need to back the hell off, yo.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

this is one of those times where I wish the district had a readily-available e-mail address, so I could write in my support for the teacher.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Funny how back in the old days, pre 80's era, they would do this without a problem. But once a child sues his parents (late80's, early 90's) for bad parenting n chit, now parents and teachers are not allowed to do anything.

I mean, come on, we can't even spank our kids? THis is utter BS. Some kids deserve a spanking for some things. As for this kid, he should of been put over his dad's knee and spanked REAL hard.

ANd they wonder why our kids are growing up with no respect or care for anyone or anything in the world.
Teddy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Teddy »

Heck ya, or better yet, give the email address of the guys conducting the investication....
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Let's get back the fear of a yardstick-toting nun...schools were better places back then :).
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

/me shudders at remembrances of Sister Kathleen. :fear:
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Teacher suspended for washing boys dirty mouth out with

Post by Will Robinson »

Vader wrote:I think the ultrahippies need to back the hell off, yo.
Word!
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I remember the effectiveness of corporal punishment when I was in school. Our society may want to revisit that one.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Heh... first grade... Sr. Mary Beth... suprisingly the worst thing I can remember is being duct taped to my seat.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I remember my kindergarden teacher was the fastest ruler in the west. If you so much as twiched during naptime she would go yardstick on your a$$. We learned to behave rather quickly in her class.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Jeez, sometimes I think the teachers do need to be able to drop the kiddie gloves.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

Part of teaching is disciplining and the teachers have no authority. I think *all* teachers should walk off the job until they're given permission to do whatever is needed(within reason) to discipline children.

B-
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

I'm sure some people think that there is no reason for corporal punishment.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Everyone is so afraid of a lawsuit anymore they've all grown large ass tails to put between their fat hairy legs.

Well, take heart that eventually it will get so ridiculous and bad (Like it isn't already for anyone who has common sense) that there will HAVE to be changes made and restrictions to types of lawsuits etc...etc...

Atleast I have hope, but every stupid case like this takes a little more of that hope away.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

IMO they just need to clog up the civil petty claims courts a bit... make it so if you want to sue someone you can, but you will be living on social security by the time you see anything of it. Also, judges needs to start using contempt of court a whole lot more- make lawyers have to consider the fact that they may get slapped with contempt of court before they represent someone. That would do alot to reduce the rediculious cases, because the fines the lawyers get for contempt of court arn't pretty.

OT: I would say that corporal punishment would need to be strictly watched (only used after other methods don't help) it would serve its purpose.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Part of the reason today's culture is so screwed up is the lack of discipline.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

i digress. i have nothing against corporal punishment (it's better than psychological punishment i.e. withdrawal of love or sth.) but I sure as well would not like that anybody else other than me (or my wife/gf) do that to MY child.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I would expect my child to be punished within the nature of the offense by an adult supervisor if necessary.

If you can't handle that, raise your children properly, or homeschool them. What? Don't have time? Then don't have kids.
Instig8
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Teacher suspended for washing boys dirty mouth out with

Post by Instig8 »

Will Robinson wrote:
Vader wrote:I think the ultrahippies need to back the hell off, yo.
Word!
Werd.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

A good friend of mine had such a case in a school class where he was giving art lessons recently (he's a painter). He admonished the guy several times, who was also uttering sexual expletives. The last warning was that the guy would be taken to the school director if he did it once more. He did it - when the last word from the friend of mine had hardly left his lips. As far as I remember that was a 10 or 12 year old boy. So my friend told him to get up. He turned as white as a bed sheet and stammered "Me?" "Yes", my friend replied, so they went to the school director, who took care of the matter. The boy wasn't allowed back in the lesson and left with his head down. When my friend returned to the school class, everybody was absolutely silent and attentive. He really had their respect. W/o any rude measure like using soap on the boy's mouth.

Honestly, if that would have been my boy, I would have disciplined him for that, but I wouldn't want a teacher to do something like that to him. There are better ways to discipline a boy, at least if he's not totally off the wall.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

You know, soap in the mouth is a bit too far... I wouldn't want my kid's teacher washing his mouth out. A swat or something, yes. But if anyone's going to run the risk of poisoning my kid, it'll be me.
Jean Shepherd wrote: "Oh, Ralphie, what happened to you?"
"It, it, it was..."
"Oh, please tell us, what did we do?"
"...soap!"
"I told you not to use Lifebuoy!"
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

ditto DCrazy

and, Testi, giving my kid a good education has nothing to do with it. Do you really trust teachers so much that they always do the right thing? Due to this I want a safety zone... they can punish my kid, no prob - even if its not justified (and believe me we hat some of these cases in school)... but not go too far.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Testiculese wrote:within the nature of the offense
If a teacher is unable to discipline a kid without going 'too far', it will be noted quite quickly, and the teacher can be subsequently fired. But laying yet ANOTHER useless blanket law just makes the situation worse. As it stands now, no teacher will dare reprimand a child for fear it may cost their job. Kids will see this immediately, and become more of a pain in the ass just because they can, disrupting the kids who actually contain some intelligence and want to learn.

I've never heard of soap being poisonous (regular bar soap). I woulnd't have used it, I would have stood the kid in the corner of the room with his mouth taped shut, and kept on with class.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

maybe the teaching situation is different in the US. That a teacher - even the drunks - are fired almost never happens in Germany.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Diedel wrote:Honestly, if that would have been my boy, I would have disciplined him for that, but I wouldn't want a teacher to do something like that to him. There are better ways to discipline a boy, at least if he's not totally off the wall.
The article said that the boy had already had several out of school suspensions. The school had done everything they could, short of suspending him, to try to correct the matter- I would say that the kid was totally off the wall.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

snoopy wrote:
Diedel wrote:Honestly, if that would have been my boy, I would have disciplined him for that, but I wouldn't want a teacher to do something like that to him. There are better ways to discipline a boy, at least if he's not totally off the wall.
The article said that the boy had already had several out of school suspensions. The school had done everything they could, short of suspending him, to try to correct the matter- I would say that the kid was totally off the wall.
This applies to all parents:

"Show me your kids, and I tell you who you are."

If a kid is off the wall, imo the parents are the problem. Unless something they cannot influence hinders them of properly parenting their children (like they being forced to work 16 hours a day to survive).
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

"Show me your kids, and I tell you who you are."

Nice quote. Which is why my aforementioned "Don't have kids" applies to far too many people. :)
PantyRaider
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by PantyRaider »

yep , i agree Testi. I have 2 Kids of my own. My girlfriend has 3. Yes plp , thats 5 total. When they act up it is almost always a mirrior image of me or their mother. Way to many plp have Children that should not. Some plp may think that i am one of those plp. Maybe i am , but i dont go around Blaming other plp for the way my kids act .