Plutonian Shores - Vertigo Single-Player development thread

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Plutonian Shores - Vertigo Single-Player development thread

Post by Naphtha »

So basically, building various D1 and D2 levels over the last year and a half taught me that concept levels really aren't my thing when it comes to single-player, which is kind of why my previous mission idea got scrapped. XD;; It's also kind of taken my focus away from Descent 1.5, but at the rate I've been working, I feel confident in setting up a development thread for it to get it out there and go back to helping Xfing with his project afterward. :P

Basically, Plutonian Shores is a Vertigo level set which focuses mainly on forcing the player to think strategically. As the name might suggest to you Doom players, I was inspired in part by "The Plutonia Experiment" with its ultra-challenging gameplay: rough starts in the early levels, situations that call for you to use the terrain and every single weapon given to you, open-ended areas which can be approached with a number of different tactics and more difficult baddies to gun down.

Default D1/D2/Vertigo bots used to their full potential, Vertigo/Apocalyptic Factor influence in aesthetics, and 32 levels of distinct themes and architectural wonders. The set is not quite ready for public release yet, so for now, feel free to enjoy the demo of the first eleven levels, available for download here:

http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=1103

Level 1: Infiltraitor (Naphtha)
Level 2: Pharyngeal Gorge (Naphtha)
Level 3: Nexus Complexus (Naphtha)
Level 4: Opposing Forces (Naphtha)
Level 5: Subterranea (Naphtha)
Level 6: This Mortal Coil (Naphtha)
Level 7: Shellosseum (Naphtha)
Level 8: Brimstone Park (Naphtha)
Level 9: Alembic Cut (DHx)
Level 10: Target Acquired (Naphtha)
Level 11: Stygian Meander (DHx)

Level 12: Pyre of the Damned (Naphtha)
Level 13: Antipode Outpost (Naphtha)
Level 14: The Creeping Cascade (Naphtha)
Level 15: Frostadder (Naphtha)
Level 16: End of the Line (DHx)
Level 17: The Septic Dens (Naphtha)
Level 18: Circuit Station (Shroudeye, Naphtha)
Level 19: Whispering Spring (DHx)
Level 20: Soul Conspiracy (Naphtha)

Level 21: Fear Factory (Naphtha)
Level 22: The Mind Hive (Naphtha)
Level 23: Research Mine MN1988 (Shroudeye)
Level 24: Asphyxiated Bellows (Alter-Fox, Naphtha)
Level 25: The Octagon Panopticon (Naphtha)
Level 26: Bowler Pass (DHx)
Level 27: Perdition (DHx)
Level 28: The Infernal Gate (Sirius)
Level 29: The Devil's Cage (Naphtha)
Level 30: Plutonian Dawn (Naphtha)

Secret Level 1 (Naphtha)
Secret Level 2 (Naphtha)

UPDATE 10/27/17: We still only have the first eleven levels out to the public as a demo, but all the level slots are filled so no more submissions are necessary. Right now we have some testing/tweaking to do, plus we (mainly Sirius and I) still have to finish the storyline. I'd also like to add a few custom textures corresponding to parts of the storyline, so there are a few things left on the checklist before we can officially release Plutonian Shores. It's almost complete, though, so just a little longer!
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Plutonian Shores - Vertigo Single-Player development thr

Post by Xfing »

Sounds like something I'll want to play for sure! I don't think I can contribute as I haven't yet made a really, really large level and wouldn't consider myself an advanced designer.

If your project's finished before D1,5, though (and it probably will be), why don't you test out my improved HAM and S11/S22 files for the pack? The HAM file brings the lasers, fusion and spreadfire back to their D1 parameters and the sound files make sure that all robots from D1 have their appropriate sound banks.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

I'd be happy to test them for you, definitely. :) The first eleven levels should be the perfect testbed as well, since you won't get much of the D2 primaries until later on. I'm building the levels with the default weapons balance in mind, but if the HAM works perfectly, I'll encourage it as an alternative to make the mission slightly easier for those who need the advantage. :P

Started in on another level or two over the last few days, with one of the two layouts finally completed and the first boss level in the set being conceptualized. I'm pretty happy with Level 6's layout as well, which takes influence from Obsidian and Parallax's Panic levels among other things (thanks again to MD-1224 for showing them to me). What's still left out of the demo levels are Levels 8, 9 and 10 as reactor levels for anyone willing to contribute whose creations would fit in the set. At least for the time being, anyway, if I don't come up with ideas to fill the spots myself at this rate. ;)
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Still stoked! How about a milestone update? :D
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

I guess it is overdue for an update, huh? :P

So I've got nine levels completed, and I actually got Darkhorse to help out with meeting the quota. He's apparently been working on and off on two levels which he says should hopefully be completed in about a week's time, so then all that's left would be testing for bugs and balancing and hopefully adding a bit of a briefing with an actual story. At that rate, the 11-level demo might actually be ready to drop at the end of January or the beginning of February.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Sweeeet... wish I had this much drive to make levels for D1,5 :P
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

So DH's first level has been received, and although it doesn't have a title, I did finish up its item placement for testing to fit it into the set as Level 9. After discussing his second level submission, I found out he was working on a boss level and decided it'd be easier to simplify one of my boss levels into a reactor level. So now what was previously Level 11 will be only the tenth level in the set, and his second level will wrap up the demo portion.

Once that's completed and sent over, hopefully beta testing and story writing will be relatively quick to release it for all to enjoy. What I will be doing once all the demo levels are pretty much complete, however, is sharing screenshots as a teaser of what to expect. These levels will be a challenge, but hopefully a fun one that really gets you to think. :)
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

*Blows some dust off the thread*

Things have been a bit quiet... well, for a long time, actually. But I've been slowly working on the later levels of the set and the 11-level starting demo is now officially out and ready for download here:

http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=1103

Click to view the full size image. Click to view the full size image. Click to view the full size image.
Click to view the full size image. Click to view the full size image. Click to view the full size image.
Click to view the full size image. Click to view the full size image.

Input is appreciated. If any area feels out-of-place or too needlessly difficult, feel free to point it out or just throw some suggestions for the levels. :) I might be willing to make an edit or two, otherwise for the most part, these early levels will probably stay as is for the final version.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Downloading now!

EDIT: I was wondering how you accomplished the rebuffing of weapons to their D1 values, and I saw you simply inserted descent2.ham into the hog. Sweet, I didn't know it could work that way. Also, since you use so many D1 doors and robots, this mission really could use the D2 sound patch I made! I suggest you download it and incorporate it into this mission. It's a Descent 2.ham file coupled with Descent2.S11 and .S22 and as you know it restores all the D1 sounds lost in D2. The only sounds changed from D2 are the ventillator sound (D1 one restored) and the Class 1 Drone/Red Spider pulse cannon sound (also the D1 one restored, for nostalgia reasons mainly). You could always use the file I have ready for Descent 1.5, but it also rebuffs regular lasers and buffs super lasers even further (not to mention that it tampers with the bosses), so if you're not comfortable with that, you can just take the sound patch HAM file and redo the weapon alterations at your discretion.

On to the levels, then!

First of all - good call on bringing back the D1 music, it's the best thing since sliced bread IMO! :D

Level 1: Very good geometry, nice attention to detail and very pretty texturing. While I'm not really in favor of modular, symmetric levels, this is one that shows it can be done right. Fun to play, I like the robot selection too. Using the entire robot cast is definitely a hit, and here I can kind of see what D1.5 will play like once it's done. Love the unlockables and the attention to detail - great use of see-through textures. Many modern mappers like using the light-behind-grate gimmick, and you're showing exactly why it's often sucha good idea.

Level 2: Stunning texture use - love the naturalistic rock that was so sadly underused in D2. The stalactite matcens - an absolute hit. Not sure if the PIG file is properly chosen for this mission, as the moving blue ceiling texture at the energy center looks a bit weird. Good thing the Spreadfire has been rebuffed - without it I'd have been in a pickle. Sh*t it's a good level, one of the best looking ones I've played, ever, with gameplay to boot. The computer structure beneath the hatch - holy crap, probably the best detail piece I've ever seen for retro Descent. Please make a level like this for D1,5's Vertigo portion when you're done here, pretty please?

Level 3: Probably the best texture mixing and matching thus far - absolutely gorgeous, particularly in that room with the zigzag lab texture. I like how the initial area is so reminescent of that one Vertigo level, but it all changes up afterwards. That grate with the lava flowing out of it feels too narrow for the wide lava waterfall - either change it to the thin lava trickle from D1 if you find a way to do it, or better yet - replace the grate with something wider. The BPER robots spawned by the matcen need to be changed to the other variety. Parallax made 2, one of them using the same cry as the PTMC Defense Prototype and dropping guided missiles, the other being the proper one. You used the 1st one. The overall layout of the level is fairly confusing and due to it being so compact the Automap sometimes fails to help, so perhaps it could use a Guide-Bot. Also, I don't think the matcen behind the blue door works, or maybe the cube is erroneously designated as a matcen (it looks like a metal floor with a double light on it). Overall, probably the best "Vertigo Desert" themed levels I've ever played.

That's it for now - I'm taking a break. I'll definitely give you feedback about the rest of the levels later, but it's a bit too much to focus on all at the same time. These three are all definitely Vertigo+ quality levels, so I'm really stoked for the rest!

As for the mechanics, I think that maybe you after all should buff the lasers like I did. It takes an obscene amount of time to deal with even the D1 plasma drillers with level 4 quads, they're plain weak.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Gonna test if it works on D2X-XL and if not, hopefully figure out how to make it work... probably involving a mods folder. :P
Could be cool if you used the Descent 1 Mac and PSX tracks for an ogg soundtrack in addition to the midi. Nobody's doing that, even though it's sooo easy... the redbook soundtracks for Descent 1 and 2 are all freely available to use anyway.

YOU WOULD BE PIONEER!
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Level 4: Still a good effort, but it didn't strike my fancy as much as level 2 or 3 did for some reason. There's one green slime grate at the start of a lava flow - you know what to do with it. Also, in the red area there are several secret doors wired to open - you should probably change that to an opening wall as the opened doors leave visible remnants in mid-air. That particular secret door isn't suited for being used in more than one tile I guess. Same thing with the reactor itself. I understand the willingness to use secret doors where possible, but here it just looks ugly. Again, the same thing with the secret with the plasma and smart missile inside - these secret doors simply weren't designed to be used on more than one square. The trap that opens up behind you after you slam the reactor, however, is the right way to use secret doors for sure, haha. Also, I like the lengthy way towards the exit, reminds me of D1 L10, which the music is from.

Level 5: Using the green slime grates at the start of liquid streams is one habit you really should drop. I noticed this huge vulcan + ammo loadout you put in this level which was also in level 4 - while it looks good, it's nowhere near necessary unless it's all the vulcan ammo in the level. If it's not, then you should probably make it so if you want to keep this nice circular alignment of ammo. The geometry of the level itself is stunning though, I especially like the secret area behind the green slime falls - beautiful. I also really liked the reactor room gimmick this level had. Overall it was quite hard too! Great effort.

Level 6: The yellow striped texture encircling the octagonal ceiling is not aligned, and there's no reason at all it shouldn't be - you can fix it. Great starting goom overall. Again, there's this green slimy grate on the other side of the door leading out of the starting room. I think I'll stop even mentioning those - you can just pretend I point out when there's one from now on :P I love the Puuma-like energy center, mixing in the more organic green quite nicely too. The secret door to the super laser leaves a visible remnant tho, just like those in level 4. I love the room where you procure the red and blue keys - beautiful design and great difficulty - gotta use that invulnerability, which again reminds me of the level this one borrows the music from. I generally love the architectural gimmick this level has - the coiling corridors. Nicely done, probably one of my favorite levels with a clear concept behind the architecture.

Again, that's it for now. Can't do it all in one go :P All I can say is that you're brilliant at both texturing and architecture. I'm usually in favor of using D1 textures, even the ones that didn't make it to the second game, but you do such a good job with what you have that I don't really mind there not being any D1-exclusive texture content.

Also, I think your embedded .HAM file supersedes the main one, which in my case has the restored D1 sounds, which is probably why I can't hear them. Wonder if that can be solved somehow.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

I don't know why, but I actually went ahead and did level 7 as well.

What can I say about this level? For some reason I loved the bejeezus out of it. It was immense fun to play, even though its architecture couldn't come close in complexity to most of the previous levels. This just goes to show that a level doesn't have to be complicated to be tons of fun to play. It's also symmetric in design, which I usually don't fancy, but it didn't really bother me here at all.

The level for some reason brought back memories of D1 and some of the terror and tension I initially experienced when accessing some of the more notoriously difficult areas, such as Secret Level 1 or Level 12. The texturing and music also played their part to help it, I think, but overall this level rocks. I also finally decided to take advantage of that gimmick you have running here - Full Map power-ups accessible only after the exit has been opened. Pretty ingenious - as it lets the player see what they've missed in the level, but only actually try and take advantage of it on their next run. An ingenious, if a bit insolent way to force replayability, haha :P

Seriously though: 60 dmg Fusion Hulks with prediction firing? What's more OP than this? I don't think anything is.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I could see that being a problem with D2X-XL where the game doesn't pause on the map screen...
Also, I love the name of the first map. Gotta ask where'djya get it? :P
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Really love the octagonal tunnel in level 8 and how you made the hatch door fit it so perfectly using 3 separate segments♦. Amazing. Also absolutely love the trapezoid-shaped tunnel beyond the yellow door - it looks wonderful. Overall, both the texturing and the gameplay remind me heavily of D1, which is obviously always a good thing. Also the two mandatory things: the drillers and the super hulks are present here in abundance, that totally reinforces the feel. Gotta say you're really good at capturing what made D1 so memorable. Sadly, I was unable to get very far with the octagonal tunnel puzzle - simply couldn't find anything to open that second hatch. Still, it's definitely one of my favorite levels from this pack.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Ok, played through the entire thing now. What can I say? Some of the best D2 levels of all time, many many things here are done right. I'll be holding my breath for the final release, which is granted to become one of my favorite missions.

I'm now also fairly confident that I want you to design at the very least 5 Vertigo levels for D1,5. I'll actually be livid if you don't. You also said something about wanting to design the final level too, didn't you? No reservations about it at all, go ahead full steam :D
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I'm not sure level 6 works the way you wanted it to Naptha, it's possible to complete it entirely without the blue key, and there's a trigger with blue lights (screaming I'm important shoot me!) that doesn't seem to do anything.

Level 7 was awesome. One of those maps I'll want to not spoil for anyone who hasn't played it already.
I admit I'm not listening to the midi songs, I have a random playlist of all the Descent 1 and 2 redbook songs as well as a few extra tracks from "official" Descent. So I have no idea which song Xfing was talking about on level 6... 15 or 22 I'm guessing. I'm saving the midi songs for when I do the maps in co-op after the full release. :D
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Alter-Fox wrote:I'm not sure level 6 works the way you wanted it to Naptha, it's possible to complete it entirely without the blue key...
That reminds me of Vertigo level 19! (There's a hidden switch that will remove the grates in the hub room)
I'm gonna try this now...
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

Alter-Fox wrote:I'm not sure level 6 works the way you wanted it to Naptha, it's possible to complete it entirely without the blue key, and there's a trigger with blue lights (screaming I'm important shoot me!) that doesn't seem to do anything.
Actually, that one was entirely intentional. I liked how Parallax tried to let you take shortcuts in some levels if you looked hard enough (Counterstrike Levels 7 and 8, for example), but I wanted to make it so if the level has that option, it's either very difficult to solve or makes the level itself much harder in some way. The influence of the Supervisor Bots on that level is very noticeable on Ace or Insane, and part of the risk you're taking in using the shortcut. :)
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Naphtha wrote:Actually, that one was entirely intentional.
I want to applaud your out-of-the-cube thinking. There are two things I make sure of when I design levels. The first is to avoid symmetry whenever possible. The second is to break the blue->yellow->red key pattern whenever suitable. In my opinion, keys are a non-essential part of the Descent experience. Mostly they are used to control the flow and timing of a level, and that is fine, but at the same time it's nice to break expectations. Perhaps the reactor is behind a blue door? Or maybe there are no keys at all? Or maybe that yellow key just leads to a cool area that might have a much needed power-up (or maybe it's a shortcut!)?

I'll have to check out this Plutonian Shores level next time I install D2.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Wait a minute Naptha... you say this is pack is 20 levels but that the first 11 is the first third?
Did you mean to say half or did you extend the mission?
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

Alter-Fox wrote:Wait a minute Naptha... you say this is pack is 20 levels but that the first 11 is the first third?
Did you mean to say half or did you extend the mission?
No, my goal is 32 levels in all. I can't even find the part you're referring to so I can fix the typo ^^;
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yer level list in the OP. It looked to me like it was meant to be the whole thing.
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

Alter-Fox wrote:Yer level list in the OP. It looked to me like it was meant to be the whole thing.
Oh, I see. I'm just giving myself a short-term goal to clear before heading on to the last set of levels. I'm basically following similar episode/chapter divisions to what Doom 2 did (where the text interludes come in, that is), so consider the demo the first two episodes and what I'm working on now is basically Episode 3 of 4. I dunno if that makes any sense, but I'll definitely take submissions for something beyond Level 20 if it feels like it fits in the final episode better.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I'm all designed-out right now but this is a long term project, so we'll see.
I'd definitely like to see some more less-cramped areas once in a while.

EDIT: I noticed a whole bunch of misaligned light (secondary) textures in map 11. At least a few of them should be possible to fix.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Plutonian Shores - Vertigo Single-Player development thread

Post by Xfing »

Status report please? I'm anxious to know how this project is doing :D
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I've started working on a little map that might fit in here (though 300 segments in and I'm going to need to restart from scratch) but still, I'd like to know how it's going. ;)
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

Taking some of the unfinished and unsorted levels into account, I think there's room for three open slots in the last part of the set (basically the level 23-28 realm). Make sure you're submitting a reactor level if you do want to provide one, because all the boss levels are at least conceptualized at this point. I'll keep updating the OP as the other finished levels are populated and sorted in the set.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

If I do get the chance to start over on it, I'll keep... all of that, in my head.
And it's not a boss. I rarely do boss maps. :P
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Welp, here it is just about finished.
It could stand to have a few more secrets and maybe a second hostage cell... It is a little bit cramped, but that's not such a bad thing for this game!

And it's got a couple of sequences you might find interesting.

One note is that the matcens in the "maze" section aren't supposed to activate until you've got the red key -- you're meant to have to deal with them while you try to get back out. You'll understand once you've played that part. :P Right now it just shows up as "PTMC BIG MINERALS MINE" on the level select, so feel free to rename it as you like.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Who enjoyed and would recommend this 11 level demo?
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

kakhome1 wrote:Who enjoyed and would recommend this 11 level demo?
Bro, just load it up and see.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Well... did you enjoy it? I don't want to waste time on something that isn't as good as it looks to be.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Play it. It's really good.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Still interested on Xfing.

Also will Dos run it? It's still my favorite way to play non XL missions. Rebirth isn't a picture perfect emulation of Dos Descent (II). Rebirth eases back the difficulty a bit too much - higher frequency of enemies dropping power ups and flash missiles don't totally blind you. Zico claims the former isn't true, but it's seemed true from my experience.
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

I've tried to ensure it's still compatible with DOS by avoiding things like the higher object limits set by Rebirth and XL, but I haven't tested if it actually does work. Almost all of the testing has been done on Rebirth so far, but I think the biggest possible issue I can predict is if it doesn't recognize the included HAM and HXM files.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

How can I do a quick test for HAM/HXM recognition? What can I try if it doesn't recognize it (as for example I can get Lost Levels to recognize with a modified descent2.ham)? Also is this XL compatible?
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Anything compatible with any version of D1 or D2 is compatible with D2X-XL
#AllLivesMatter
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

How can I test for Dos? How do I separate the ham from the hog if necessary?

Also @LightWolf I increased the options in my old missions poll (in this subforum) as you had requested.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Right away, Dos doesn't recognize the music change (to D1 musics). I don't know what else it could be missing.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Weird, I never noticed either of the effects you described about Rebirth to be true. I also play Rebirth exclusively, couldn't get into XL thus far. I agree it's not a perfect emulation, but the only differences I've noticed are in fact the robot explosions and the handling of missile impact sprites, both of which look better to me in the original.