Getting Descent 3 disc version running on Windows 10

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Quadruplesword
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Getting Descent 3 disc version running on Windows 10

Post by Quadruplesword »

Since I first heard about Descent: Underground, I've been going back and finally beating all of the old Descent games. I've already finished Descent 1 and 2, and am currently working on the vertigo expansion for the latter. However, since I want to finish out the trilogy, I decided to dig up my old Descent 3 disc set and get it up and running. I managed to get around the problem of the installer not working by booting my system in safe mode. Only problem is, so far, I've only made it as far as the title screen and part of the training map. The issue I keep running into is that the game keeps minimizing itself to the task bar and no matter how hard I try, I can't get it back up. I click the icon on the task bar and my screen resolution goes haywire, I can hear game audio but I can't actually see anything. If I click again, the game minimizes itself again. Here's my system specs:

Windows 10 64-bit
Intel Core i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
16GB of DDR3 memory
GeForce GTX 970
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500gb

My biggest fear is that my only recourse is to hope and pray the dispute between Parallax and Interplay over unpaid royalties gets resolved and Descent 3 finds its way back onto GOG. I have a feeling that won't happen, though, since more than likely the losses Parallax would be entitled to would be way less than the cost of the lawsuit, so they just won't bother. I suppose I can always try setting up Windows XP on a virtual machine and playing the game that way, although I have a feeling something like that would be well outside my skill set.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re: Getting Descent 3 disc version running on Windows 10

Post by Lothar »

http://www.dateiliste.com/en/descent-3.html has a lot of info on getting D3 running.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

D3 source code release would be hugely appreciated too. It's not like it's worth anything anymore.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

What are your command line options?

I have
-nointro -nooutragelogo -nosparkles -nomotionblur -playermessages -height 1080 -width 1920 -aspect 1.78 -z32bit -framecap 999
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit