OVERLOAD Playable Demo

Forum for the new 6dof game in development by the original makers of Descent.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

OVERLOAD Playable Demo

Post by CDN_Merlin »

From email I received today. WOOHOO

Overload Playable Teaser
Posted by Revival Productions (Creator)
For backers only

Hello Backers!
We've been working hard on something big, and keep telling you we're moving towards a big push. Well, here it is: We have been working on a playable build of the game (the Overload Playable Teaser)! Not only are we sending this to streamers and press, but we are going to make it available to EVERYONE!
We believe the best way to understand what makes Overload special is to get your hands on it for yourself. Our plan is to release it to the public early this coming Monday, March 7th, with the goal of getting as many people playing the game as possible. This is a rough and early build, but we think people will come away excited and pledging!
There is obviously a risk in releasing a playable build of a game so early. But we believe in Overload and think this is the absolute best way to get more people to believe in the game as strongly as all of us do!
YOU GET IT EARLY!
As a small way to say thank you for continued support, we want our Backers to play the game first. We will send out another Backers Only update over the weekend so you can have the time to experience Overload first hand, before everyone else.
This playable build is HUGE for the campaign! Now, instead of just telling people how great Overload feels, they can try for themselves and see why we are so passionate about this game! Get ready to spread the link far and wide on Monday. We all need to post, tweet, and share like crazy to make sure everyone plays Overload! But for the weekend, have fun in the mines!
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: OVERLOAD Playable Demo

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

So if anyone here hasn't backed yet, get in there in time for the backer-only weekend. ;)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'd love to back Overload, but is there another way to back this project and not give them a credit card number? I don't have a PayPal or other electronic account either. :frown:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Kickstarter only does credit cards.

You can get a pre-paid card from the grocery store. If you do, make sure it's for a bit more than your pledge -- so that if there are random fees, the whole thing doesn't fail. (And if there aren't random fees, use up the extra the next time you go shopping.)
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'll check that out Lothar. I didn't know they had kickstarter gift cards at the grocery store, if that's what they're called. How about GameSpot if my stores don't happen to have them? I also saw sigma's post before it was deleted. Sorry sigma, I won't click on a Russian link that deals with money. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

not Kickstarter cards, just an ordinary prepaid Visa or Mastercard. If you want to back at $90, get a card for about $150 (so you can be sure you can cover any overhead) and back with that, and then once it goes through, spend whatever is left on your day-to-day expenses.

The reason I emphasize getting a card for a bit more than you back for is that someone tried to do it with the exact amount on D:U, and they ended up with like a $1 fee blocking the use of the card for the full amount, and then ended up triggering extra fees as they were trying to figure out what had happened.
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Got it. Thanks Lothar.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

TC, I thought so, so removed the link.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

The playable teaser if out. I'm having a tough time assigning settings to my 3d pro but its still awesome
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Don't know what the problem is but when I use the teaser link in the email, all I do is get sent to the kickstarter page and no way to download the game

NVM, see there was a couple of newer emails in my que
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

The download link is in the backer-only update here. (may prompt you to log into Kickstarter)
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Played it and it is amazingly like the original but with better graphics ( explosions much prettier). All I had was mouse and keyboard (much rather have joystick) but stilled managed to play ok. A lot came back to me as I played but I still sucked.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Woodchip, I had to play with mouse last night and I sucked also. Much better with a stick.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Looks like it's not going to fund:

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

It's still a bit early to call it. The reminder e-mails go out to people who selected the "Notify me" option when there are 48 hours to go until the deadline, and historically many Kickstarter campaigns have made up more than half of their total income in those final two days. It's going to be a very near thing, though. In retrospect I really wish the team had waited a few weeks to launch the campaign until they had the teaser ready to go. Releasing something playable as a backer incentive right at the get-go could have garnered a lot more interest from the outset.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Playable "Teaser Demo" out for everyone ! :)

*click*

Main page Revival Productions
Kickstarter
Youtube

[youtube]mjpf5ztwTRw[/youtube]
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Had problems with a stick. The longer I played the worse the response became. In fact, I couldn't even use it after about 10 minutes.The axis registry just kept getting wider and wider. ^_^

But, as I learned Descent with a KB and mouse, I just switched over. Wish I had the money to throw at them. :\
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Top Gun wrote:It's still a bit early to call it. The reminder e-mails go out to people who selected the "Notify me" option when there are 48 hours to go until the deadline, and historically many Kickstarter campaigns have made up more than half of their total income in those final two days. It's going to be a very near thing, though. In retrospect I really wish the team had waited a few weeks to launch the campaign until they had the teaser ready to go. Releasing something playable as a backer incentive right at the get-go could have garnered a lot more interest from the outset.
What happens to any backer's money if they don't get the necessary funding?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

tunnelcat wrote:
Top Gun wrote:It's still a bit early to call it. The reminder e-mails go out to people who selected the "Notify me" option when there are 48 hours to go until the deadline, and historically many Kickstarter campaigns have made up more than half of their total income in those final two days. It's going to be a very near thing, though. In retrospect I really wish the team had waited a few weeks to launch the campaign until they had the teaser ready to go. Releasing something playable as a backer incentive right at the get-go could have garnered a lot more interest from the outset.
What happens to any backer's money if they don't get the necessary funding?
No money changes hands until the campaign is over and the pledge goal is met.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

They need to extend their pledge time or something. Even if I threw in $100 bucks tomorrow, they still won't have enough and I'd love to see this developed. :frown:
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

tunnelcat wrote:They need to extend their pledge time or something. Even if I threw in $100 bucks tomorrow, they still won't have enough and I'd love to see this developed. :frown:
Kickstarter campaigns usually get a big bump in the last 48 hours, as long as they're somewhere semi-reasonably close.

Anyone who clicked on "remind me" will get an e-mail with 48 hours left, and people who are on the fence tend to back at the last minute, and the closer it gets the more likely people are to add another $5 or $20 or $100 to their pledge to try to make it happen.

It's possible this campaign will fail -- but it's actually looking really likely to succeed now. Back it for what you can.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

As things are now, I think might only be able to back it with $5 as I'm having way too much expenses right now (some of them for medical reasons). :(

Such a shame, as I totally felt in love with the playable teaser, would like to put more money on this project!
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I have exactly the same feeling, Pumo.
If I knew in advance about the upcoming campaign I could donate much more than $50 I can now. ★■◆●
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

well if everyone that dropped $25 could drop another 25 or 50, the thing would be funded.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Timing was really bad for me too. I moved to part-time work not long before the KS started, to study for a career change. Totally blind-sided me. I thought for sure it would be Sol Contingency that would KS when I didn't have the money. :P Still, these guys are so impressive that I may have to reallocate some more funds. A new, legitimate Descent by any other name is kind of a big deal after all these years. I still can't believe they nailed it so well. They just have Descent in their blood, or something. ;) If it comes down to the line I'll be doing what I can (but I'm still looking for this Teaser release to vault them to a stretch goal). Really want to see Revival do well as a team.

As an aside I bought a few games for my smart phone from Radian Games (Luke Schneider) the other day, and they're pretty cool. :) No smash hits, IMO, but well-rounded and visually enjoyable.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I was looking up joystick and the one I like was this:

http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/hotas-warthog

Unfortunately a little pricey.

Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

both are solid sticks with all the functionality you need.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Got for the TM stick -- hall effect sensors. I could not make those Logitech sticks last longer than three weeks when I was playing D3 more regularly.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I went through 2 and a half Logitech sticks in 2 and a half years of playing D1 at the highest levels of competition. They can stand up to abuse.

I'd definitely recommend the Thrustmaster T16000M over it, though -- it's a better quality stick. The only down side is the hat switch is flat, so your thumb can slide off of it easily. But that's easily fixed with a 3D printer and 2 cents worth of PLA.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I have found a sticks longevity is directly proportional to just how crazy the player is… :P
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

It's going to make it.
The demo is A LOT of fun!
MP has to happen....the demo has that *feel* of Descent...MP will be incredible again!
Fighting villains is what I do!
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

24-hour finale, Twitch live-stream starts in about an hour! Rumor is they may be giving away a few boxed copies of Descent, among other things! :D
Mike Kulas on [url=http://playoverload.com/forums/topic/24-hour-livestream/]OVERLOAD forums[/url] wrote:... I’m going to see if I can find some boxed copies of Descent…Have some other stuff, too.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'm in there waiting already :D
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Their second giveaway of a boxed copy of Descent is happening right now!
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

More than doubled my pledge. Hope they reach the goal. I'm so excited for this project I want to move to Urbana so I can bring them free coffee and donuts every morning.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Kickstarter is about $34,000 short and ends in the morning. If every backer adds $9 to their pledge it'll make it. Or if about 400 more backers join at the same distribution as current backers they'll make it.

Pull out your wallets, people!
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Lothar wrote:If every backer adds $9 to their pledge it'll make it.
I should have taken you up on the offer to buy my D:U package. As time goes by I have increasingly little interest in that project.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

A little less than 4 hours and $12k left.

fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

2hours left and 3500 to go
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

It barely funded with less than 2 hrs left.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong