Hands On With Descent

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.

Cool or not?

Cool
No votes
Not Cool
25%
Maybe with some tinkering...
75%

Total votes: 4
L1011Widebody
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Hands On With Descent

Post by L1011Widebody »

So I love Descent, obviously or I wouldn't be here. Just a bit of back-story : I've already done a Let's Play of the game through a modification wherein I converted the Descent 1 levels into Descent 2 format, and added in the various Descent 2 weapons. Which I then run through D2X Rebirth (which is a fantastic source port btw). So I ran my Descent 1 conversion through the D2X Rebirth engine, the game balances out though because the Descent II AI is much smarter than the Descent AI. You can find my Let's Play of what I call Descent 1+ here : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... PdB0aVBChK

Anyway, with that out of the way, what I thought I would try here is... this is just a prototype more or less. Something I've wanted to try for quite some time. There's quite a few Let's Players who show their faces on screen on camera so you can their reaction (and I've dabbled in that a bit). But I thought it might be more interesting to watch my hands actually work the controls instead. So this is something of a prototype to see how well it goes and how interesting you guys find it.

Unfortunately there are some technical limitations that i have to deal with or otherwise work out, for instance, using the phone's camera and the LED light simultaneously drains an enormous amount of battery, even while plugged in. Also the mount sort of thing for the phone is extremely limited in positioning at the moment. So you can only see my left-hand, and I'm not sure if this is going to be interesting enough to merit the financial expenditure of an actual tripod. You can see how delicately jury-rigged I am at 18:05 when the camera falls over. I don't really have so much to work with here, I do what I can with the resources available you know?

Anyway, let me know if you find this interesting or not.
Gameplay starts at 1:00 or so.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: Hands On With Descent

Post by Alter-Fox »

Well I can certainly give you credit for an interesting idea at least.
I won't have time to watch anything till tonight but I'll probably check it out then.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I think that it's a good idea.
If I were doing that a while back, then you may have seen my fingers completely go nuts as I come out of a down-and-right curved tunnel aligned perfectly. I don't know why they did that to this day.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Ok, I've watched a few. What intrigues me is how you managed to make the level exiting sequences work in D2. I'd totally dig being able to use that!

Your conversion could use an update though, with restored sounds and textures - we've made a sound mod that restores all D1 sounds and a D1 palette for D2 in the meantime.

Not so keen on the weapon balance though - Gauss, Helix and Phoenix came way too early, and they're wicked weapons.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

You're using guass and the guidebot in D1 levels.

Sorry, I can't watch this. Those are two of my least favorite things that D2 included. Gauss because it's so overpowered that you simply must use it, and the guidebot because the levels are so large they ceased to be intuitive.

To each his own though, if you had fun with it, that's all that should matter to you.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Yeah, that. Gauss is so all-around good that it makes much of Descent a breeze and Helix is extremely potent against most single targets, these weapons really shouldn't start being available until level 24 or so, if you insist on including them at all. Descent 2 only did i because they had to show the weapons off in the demo, Maximum for example is way more rational with giving out these weapons.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Xfing wrote:Yeah, that. Gauss is so all-around good that it makes much of Descent a breeze and Helix is extremely potent against most single targets, these weapons really shouldn't start being available until level 24 or so, if you insist on including them at all. Descent 2 only did i because they had to show the weapons off in the demo, Maximum for example is way more rational with giving out these weapons.
Though Maximum did add an easy mega missile way too early IMO.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

LightWolf wrote: Though Maximum did add an easy mega missile way too early IMO.
Well, you fire the missile and you have nothing again. Cannons are different.