Adults in the room

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Adults in the room

Post by sigma »

Ferno, Russia is a country of illegal weapons. Almost everyone has. Often including grenade launchers and a large quantity of ammunition. Although I do not want to pursue the subject, to be honest.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

sigma wrote:Ferno, Russia is a country of illegal weapons. Almost everyone has. Often including grenade launchers and a large quantity of ammunition. Although I do not want to pursue the subject, to be honest.

I knew it!
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

One can only assume if there are x times the legal guns in America than Russia, there are probably x times the number of illegal ones as well, give or take a few million…still leaving the US well out in front.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Spidey wrote:One can only assume if there are x times the legal guns in America than Russia, there are probably x times the number of illegal ones as well, give or take a few million…still leaving the US well out in front.

buddy, you just got told from a russian of all people, that the amount of gun owners is "pretty much everybody", including those who own grenade launchers.

Some people in the states own a gun collection, some own two or three, a lot of people own one gun, and some in the states don't own a single gun. So the opinion that the US is well out in front is flat-out wrong.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

All a bit more complicated in reality. Quite a few people have the weapon which is intended for special forces. A lot of what I want to say about it..
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

LOL, yea sigma...the stalwart pillar of accurate information.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Spidey wrote:LOL, yea sigma...the stalwart pillar of accurate information.
You are far from accurate information :)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Ferno wrote:... So the opinion that the US is well out in front is flat-out wrong.
Making statements of certainty with such vague information? :oops:

I still say the U.S. wins in numbers. I think that in the interest of foreign relations we should have a U.S. and Russia international gun show to get together and look at guns, play with guns (figure of speech), talk about guns, buy/sell guns, and see if we can make some headway on the subject. :) ...We'll hold it in New York at the U.N. headquarters (just show up all at once... easier to apologize than ask permission). We'll open with a ceremony where the statue of a revolver with a knot in its barrel will be converted to a snub-nose.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

[quote="Ferno"

Some people in the states own a gun collection, some own two or three, a lot of people own one gun, and some in the states don't own a single gun. So the opinion that the US is well out in front is flat-out wrong.[/quote]

So this is a example of a well thought out intellectual reply? :roll:
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Spidey wrote:LOL, yea sigma...the stalwart pillar of accurate information.

when it comes to information about america, yes.

but when it comes to russian information, it's better to trust the source. In this case, someone who actually lives there.

Kind of like how when it comes to news from any of your slices of the world, i trust you over someone who doesn't live there.

------------
Sergeant Thorne wrote: Making statements of certainty with such vague information? :oops:

The ratio of people to guns in each country is not vague. You have the raw numbers, but it's nowhere near the 1:1 ratio Russia has.

--------------
All a bit more complicated in reality. Quite a few people have the weapon which is intended for special forces. A lot of what I want to say about it..
Good enough for me.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea whatever…just throw logic and good reasoning out the door and accept some preposterous notion that everyone in a country would even want to own a gun.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Spidey wrote:Yea whatever…just throw logic and good reasoning out the door and accept some preposterous notion that everyone in a country would even want to own a gun.
oh, kind of like how a lot of people who don't live in the US assume the exact same thing about americans, huh?
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

I just looked into how many firearms are being produced and imported (minus exports) in the U.S. In just the last 30 years* the U.S. has produced and imported (again, adjusting for exports) enough firearms to SUPPLY a 1:1 ratio to Russia at their current population estimate (143 million), with almost 49 million to spare.

*Stats were unavailable for 2014 and 2015, so I conservatively assigned the stats from 2011 (except imports from 2014, which were available, and were 11.4% higher than 2011)

2009 - 8,968,180
2010 - 8,057,210
2011 - 9,497,402
2012 - 13,135,646
2013 - 15,991,210

Source: https://www.atf.gov/file/89561/download
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:
Ferno wrote:... So the opinion that the US is well out in front is flat-out wrong.
Making statements of certainty with such vague information? :oops:

I still say the U.S. wins in numbers. I think that in the interest of foreign relations we should have a U.S. and Russia international gun show to get together and look at guns, play with guns (figure of speech), talk about guns, buy/sell guns, and see if we can make some headway on the subject. :) ...We'll hold it in New York at the U.N. headquarters (just show up all at once... easier to apologize than ask permission). We'll open with a ceremony where the statue of a revolver with a knot in its barrel will be converted to a snub-nose.
Moreover, it is quite strange that USA still does not take an active part in the Russian tank biathlon. It's just a sport, not a joint military exercises.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Maybe relations just aren't/haven't been good enough.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Maybe because we have a wimp in the white house....
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

...except, we don't. Nice try, Woody.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

I was watching with a spotter scope, and it was definitely a "hit". Just because it wasn't a bullseye...
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

woodchip wrote:Maybe because we have a wimp in the white house....

says the guy who doesn't know that obama sent in special forces to hit key targets.