Windows Update fail

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Windows Update fail

Post by vision »

Top Gun wrote:...getting it to run reasonably well was a whole other story.
Thanks for sharing. Very few games run on Linux and it's video quality is horrible in general. This is one of the reasons I play Descent Rebirth so much — because there is nothing else to play!

Ok, I leave this thread now. Sorry for side convo.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

ATI/AMD video cards have always had shitty linux drivers (even shittier than their Windows drivers). If you use (or think you might ever want to use) linux, then you just don't buy that crap.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

tunnelcat wrote:Foil, Holy crap! I've got 46.1 megs of cbs.persist.log files. I'll have to read your link a little bit more and see if I can deal with them.
My little server at home went from 58G free space to 72G free w/ some elbow grease :) CBS files: stop the "Windows Modules Installer" service, delete the cbs* files, restart the service.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Grendel wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:Foil, Holy crap! I've got 46.1 megs of cbs.persist.log files. I'll have to read your link a little bit more and see if I can deal with them.
My little server at home went from 58G free space to 72G free w/ some elbow grease :) CBS files: stop the "Windows Modules Installer" service, delete the cbs* files, restart the service.
Yeah, I had ~30Gb of those in one instance.

BTW, I'm betting tc meant 46.1 gigs, not "megs". The latter would be negligible. :P
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Jeff250 wrote:ATI/AMD video cards have always had shitty linux drivers (even shittier than their Windows drivers). If you use (or think you might ever want to use) linux, then you just don't buy that crap.
To be fair, even on Windows AMD's support back then was fairly shitty. The 4670 had only been out for a couple of years, yet AMD put everything through the 4000 series on their "legacy support" cycle, where they didn't really do anything with the drivers unless there was something system-breaking.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Foil wrote:
Grendel wrote:
Yeah, I had ~30Gb of those in one instance.

BTW, I'm betting tc meant 46.1 gigs, not "megs". The latter would be negligible. :P
Oops. Fixed it Foil. I meant Gigs. :mrgreen: I also went through the process of paring those files down. I'll see what happens next time Windows Update Tuesday comes around.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

OK, I want to thank Jeff250, Foil and Grendel. Between all your suggestions, it's appears to be fixed. I booted up the affected machine today and within 5 minutes, it had found all the relevant updates for August. What a difference. :)

I might just install Jeff's suggestion on my gaming rig too, because even it seems to be taking hours to find the updates, however, definitely not as long as the HP machine did. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, I HAD to finally install KB3172605 on both of my other Win 7 machines. Windows Update slowed to a crawl. Thanks for the help Jeff250. You helped all 3 of my Win 7 machines. :)

One other note. The installer wouldn't run if Windows Update, specifically if that one instance of svchost.exe was already running. It just put up a little window after launch that said, "searching for updates" and ran and ran and ran. I had to reboot and quickly run the installer before Windows Update went active. Then it installed OK.