Best KVM in this Configuration?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Best KVM in this Configuration?

Post by Iceman »

My old KVM just blew after several years of use ... I'm looking to order a new one today. Following is my configuration. Can anyone recommend a good quality KVM that will configure like this?

Obsessed - A word lazy people use to describe the dedicated.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: Best KVM in this Configuration?

Post by Vander »

If I understand that diagram correct, you have 1 monitor attached to the Windows computer, and a 2nd monitor connected to the KVM which would allow you to use it with the linux box or as a 2nd monitor in Windows?

I've been using an IOGear DVI KVM for a few years now to swap between an Windows box and a Macbook Air with a DP>DVI dongle. It's been pretty solid. They have an HDMI version.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Yes that is correct. The Windows PC is setup for dual monitors and the Linux for a single. Thanks I'll check them out
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

If you don't use one of the machines very often, perhaps one of your monitors has multiple inputs you can switch between which means all you need is a separate keyboard and mouse for each machine and you only need to push a button on the monitor to switch inputs when you need to pull up its screen. Or the old stand by of using a vnc/remote desktop client to control the second machine from the first, again only an option if you don't use the second machine often.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I use them both a lot