Microsoft is going full retard...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Microsoft is going full retard...

Post by Nightshade »

They are doing some massively anti-competitive crap.

http://fossboss.com/2016/09/21/windows- ... ing-linux/

Now, not only are they blocking other operating systems on purpose, you can't even install non-MS apps under Windows with this!

Just one aspect out of a loooong list of things Microsoft is pushing on consumers after Windows 10 came out.

It's up to people to reject this crap and stop using Windows. Hopefully businesses will be pushed away from Microsoft as well. They're turning ugly.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Microsoft is going full retard...

Post by MD-1118 »

I can install whatever I want, I'm still using my "free" copy of Windows 7. :lol:
To him, boredom was a greater evil than hunger or sexual frustration, for boredom signaled the waste of a mind.
~ Anthony Piers, Ghost
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

:lol:
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

MD-1118 wrote:I can install whatever I want, I'm still using my "free" copy of Windows 7. :lol:
Free?
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

Nightshade wrote:Free?
Let's just say I paid for that particular OS once in my life and I refuse to spend more money on another brand new "official" copy just because I built a new computer, if you catch my drift. :wink:
To him, boredom was a greater evil than hunger or sexual frustration, for boredom signaled the waste of a mind.
~ Anthony Piers, Ghost
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I put win 7 on more than one comp. and all I get is a "This copy of windows not genuine". Win 7 works fine and no issues. I'm like MD, If I buy a copy it is mine and if I want to put it on a rebuilt comp. then it is mine to do so.
MS not careful they will be deemed a monopoly and broken up by the feds.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Microsoft is still arrogant I see, even after they got their hands slapped years ago for violating the Sherman Antitrust Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... _Microsoft
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

JFTR in case anybody cares…you cannot buy a copy of MS windows, you can only lease it.

And you can legally transfer that OS to as many computers as you want, as long as you remove it from the last.

And you can use that copy to install onto any PC as long as you buy a new license.

Now as far as it working without buying another license…that is pretty much hit and miss, you may turn on your machine one day and find it doesn’t work. MS probably doesn't care about 7 at this point, because they are pushing 10.

But no, you can’t buy Windows 7 and treat it like it belongs to you. (well you can…until you get caught)
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

Spidey wrote:But no, you can’t buy Windows 7 and treat it like it belongs to you. (well you can…until you get caught)
Innocent until proven guilty! :twisted2:

Interestingly enough, I found this:
~ Anthony Piers, Ghost
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

If you read carefully, you are still not actually buying the OS, it is still a license.
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

Spidey wrote:If you read carefully, you are still not actually buying the OS, it is still a license.
I know. I just think it's a bit shady to say "you can pay for the right to use this but you can't install it on a computer you built."
~ Anthony Piers, Ghost
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I see…

Yea that’s probably because of the huge discount you get on such copies, because they were originally sold in bulk to a manufacturer, and they don’t want to sell at that rate to a single builder.

I don’t know, just guessing here.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Nightshade wrote:you can't even install non-MS apps under Windows with this!
I think you're misreading this. It's the manufacturer that can't preload 3rd party software on the laptop, which is the whole point of "Signature Edition" in the first place. This is also why many "Signature Edition" versions cost more, since the manufacturers aren't getting the $$ from the 3rd parties, so they're passing along the cost.

It's a bit like what Google was doing a couple years ago with the "Google Play Edition" versions of Android phones. The regular version would have preloaded crap from both the manufacturer and the carrier, while the GPE edition would just be stock Android.
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

Spidey wrote:I see…

Yea that’s probably because of the huge discount you get on such copies, because they were originally sold in bulk to a manufacturer, and they don’t want to sell at that rate to a single builder.

I don’t know, just guessing here.
Probably, but at that point they're just being greedy assholes. If I'm going to spend $200 on an OS then I better have ownership rights, especially if they're selling the same OS to mass distributors/manufacturers for an 80% discount.
~ Anthony Piers, Ghost
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

The OEM version is only licensed for the first computer it's installed on. The retail version can be moved from one computer to another as long as only one is in use. As far as I can tell, activation is the exact same on both, and you'll typically get 3 activations before it starts complaining that you've installed it too many times. When that time comes, just do the phone activation and tell them it's only installed once. That seems to reset the 3 activations. I've been using Action Pack for years, which comes with a single license that can be used on 10 machines, and activation seems to follow the same method. After the first couple, it bitches and I have to call.

They seem to have been changing this a bit in the last couple years, and especially with Win7 to Win10 upgrades, though.