who's joining me?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

who's joining me?

Post by callmeslick »

"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: who's joining me?

Post by MD-1118 »

I won't be watching the debate. I will be self-medicating, though.
To him, boredom was a greater evil than hunger or sexual frustration, for boredom signaled the waste of a mind.
~ Anthony Piers, Ghost
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I might be watching the debate for the sole reason and the possibility of watching trump having a massive meltdown.

The schadenfreude will be palpable ;)
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

MD-1118 wrote:I won't be watching the debate. I will be self-medicating, though.
you have a fine set of priorities. :D
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

you know, I sort of take the view when I read in here and some other fora or FB threads, that no one's about to change his/her mind at this point unless there is a truly massive gaffe or such.............then, I make the mistake of studying up. I was waiting for my long-suffering spouse to have a dental consult this morning and was reading in the waiting room. There was a poll in the paper around the debate. Nationwide, something like 28% or so of all voters who plan on watching the debates say they COULD be swayed. Now, to backtrack when I was working on campaigns(Biden, Specter, Obama, etc) the watchword for all hands at the end of the campaign is pulling in what were called persuadables. You made sure your hardcore support was id'd and marched to the polls, but then focused pitch calling to identified persuadables, who usually only ran 4-5 percent by October. This seems to indicate a massive pool, especially if the debate outcomes aren't clearcut(which they seldom are in this age of spin). Given the stark nature of the choices, color me shocked. I suppose it speaks to the overall weakness of all the candidates, but from a sheer political geek perspective, I'll betcha some folks in both major camps are pulling their hairs out. I wonder if the same vacillation is occurring, in downballot races. I suspect not.
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

So glad I put aside some time for this. This is great.

Now that it's over, I can sum it up in one word: predictable.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ferno wrote:I might be watching the debate for the sole reason and the possibility of watching trump having a massive meltdown.

The schadenfreude will be palpable ;)
I watched it and boy did he BOMB! All that sniffing, microphone leaning, face twisting, fidgeting and dry mouth water sipping made him look like a nervous first time plebe who didn't bother to even study the material. If there was any question about Hillary's stamina, it was put to rest tonight. As much as I hate to admit it, Hillary looked presidential. Anybody want to make a wager that Trump will skip the next 2 debates? :lol:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yes, the robot with the plastic smile definitely defeated the fidgety fool.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

callmeslick wrote:...no one's about to change his/her mind at this point ...
Hey, guess what? I changed my mind. I really warmed up to Mrs Clinton after watching the debate. I feel like I can vote for her comfortably. She was unflappable.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

you guys noticed how many times trump interrupted, or tried to interrupt everyone there?

Like watching a bad interpretation of Zoidberg.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Yes. Trump is the perfect fool.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

you know his night didn't go well when Team Trump had to reassure all the media that yes, the Orange buffoon would show up for round 2. That whole evening was akin to watching a gleeful child whack a pinata. Three things in particular absolutely KILLED Trump last night:

1. The response to her attack about insulting women. He should have run away, talked about his kids or about kittens or anything, but no. He goes on a rant inferring that his words toward Rosie O Donnell were acceptable, and then whining about both her, and Hillarys political ads that 'weren't nice'. Hint, the actual job you are running for gets a LOT harder than that.

2. The split screen. For 90 minutes, she was unflappable(no surprise to any that watched her at hearings), he was a visible wreck. He was sweating, grabbing for water like a lifeline, coughing, snorting, gasping and altogether destroying any illusion he created of her being weak or ill.

3. 100 million people watched it. He should have prayed that they moved the debate to 3 am.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:you know his night didn't go well when Team Trump had to reassure all the media that yes, the Orange buffoon would show up for round 2. That whole evening was akin to watching a gleeful child whack a pinata. Three things in particular absolutely KILLED Trump last night:

1. The response to her attack about insulting women. He should have run away, talked about his kids or about kittens or anything, but no. He goes on a rant inferring that his words toward Rosie O Donnell were acceptable, and then whining about both her, and Hillarys political ads that 'weren't nice'. Hint, the actual job you are running for gets a LOT harder than that.
Rosie deserved everything he said as it was in response to what she said about him
callmeslick wrote:2. The split screen. For 90 minutes, she was unflappable(no surprise to any that watched her at hearings), he was a visible wreck. He was sweating, grabbing for water like a lifeline, coughing, snorting, gasping and altogether destroying any illusion he created of her being weak or ill.
I thought the drinking of water was a subtle jab at Clinton as she doesn't drink water to the point she passes out. Her sickly smile when being attacked said it all. Good thing she has top of the line dentures.

callmeslick wrote:3. 100 million people watched it. He should have prayed that they moved the debate to 3 am.
Time poll, Trump won poll 53 to Clintons 47%, CNBC poll Trump 66% to her measly 34%. So tell me again why he should pray?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:Rosie deserved everything he said as it was in response to what she said about him
said as a middle aged male. You see, the candidates have a job in these things. Part of his was to stop insulting women and thinking it is ok. It is NOT, especially in the eyes of women voters. So, no, Rosie did not deserve to be called a pig, nor did the beauty contestant(who'll I will bet makes a public appearance in 3,2,1......). Pure lose for Trump. As I said,he should have deflected, because a deflection would have served him far better than what degenerated into whining about how mean people are to him.
I thought the drinking of water was a subtle jab at Clinton as she doesn't drink water to the point she passes out. Her sickly smile when being attacked said it all. Good thing she has top of the line dentures.
he looked BAD. Get over it. More alarming, I'm sure, for his team, he looked both petualant and out of control. Moreover, he clearly wore down as the debate wore on. If his narrative was supposed to be that he was the one most vigorous(not that I find vigor to be a core value), he put the lie to it in front of 100,000,000 voters.

Time poll, Trump won poll 53 to Clintons 47%, CNBC poll Trump 66% to her measly 34%. So tell me again why he should pray?
I'll assume you've never worked on a campaign. Those polls are all call-in type polls, and the campaigns when needed call up their people to respond. The only poll I've read that contacted a normal range of polling volunteers(CNN, 900 voters), had Clinton winning 62-20. As I said, 100 million people watched that, so overnight polling means nothing. I will near guarantee, no, hell, I'll guarantee that last night won him nearly ZERO new votes. Likely didn't lose his supporters, as you are witness to, as they are fact resistant. But, I suspect she both shored up shaky support and won over independants to some extent, which was her target going in.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Yeah, I guess you could say she won by simply not fainting..
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

when, by comparison, he grew feebler and more short-tempered as the night wore on, that is pretty much correct, Woody, in terms of killing the bogus narrative his surrogates spent a month trying to paint.
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

To call Rosie O Donnell a pig, is an insult to pigs everywhere.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

final insult to the clearly unprepared Trump campaign? You know how he kept bellowing about 'go to my website'?
Well, last night, folks could have feasted on this bounty of information:

George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:when, by comparison, he grew feebler and more short-tempered as the night wore on, that is pretty much correct, Woody, in terms of killing the bogus narrative his surrogates spent a month trying to paint.
What I noticed that at the end he refrained from bringing up all the the things that Hillary did to screw women over. Though he may regret that as Crazy Bernie regretted not bringing up Clintons emails.

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

when this is making the rounds, your candidate didn't have a good night.
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:What I noticed that at the end he refrained from bringing up all the the things that Hillary did to screw women over. Though he may regret that as Crazy Bernie regretted not bringing up Clintons emails.
oh, hell, he missed about 10 clear chances to make his points, whether one agrees with them or not. That is called NOT PREPARING, and if he can't prepare for a freaking debate, how is he supposed to do the job he's running for?
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

“She mind screwed him from the beginning by mentioning the loan from his father,” said Rob Stutzman, a GOP operative in California. “That was brilliant psychological warfare on her part. He slowly unwound from there, culminating in borderline incoherency over the final 30 minutes.”
George Orwell---"1984"
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

My favorite part was his rant about "temperament" being his best trait.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Vander wrote:My favorite part was his rant about "temperament" being his best trait.
I think that was around where Howard Dean posted his little snark about Trump's 'debate prep'(....consisting of 4 lines of coke). It was an otherworldly thing to see, honest to pete. Here he is, out of control, been that way for several minutes and sputtering about his own temperment. Unreal. :shock:
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

There's a decent mix of politics and temperaments where I work, yet to a person everyone around the lunch table was talking about what a ★■◆●ing buffoon Trump was. Hell, he made Nixon's debate performances against Kennedy seem palatable.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:Yes, the robot with the plastic smile definitely defeated the fidgety fool.
Better than looking at a pissed off, not prepared, arrogant, sniveling slimebag. And Trump DID answer a question last night we've all had for months, by flapping his gums in a fit of boastful irritation. He doesn't pay any taxes, because he's "smart". I seriously doubt all the hard working tax paying people of America appreciate his rich businessman tax con game, legal or not.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2016-p ... es-n655261
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

if we can presume that he manages to utter ANYTHING that isn't a lie, he's been audited by the IRS for 15 years of records. If his taxes are legal, they sure are dancing on the edge to get that amount of scrutiny, because the feds are paying a crapload for such a major audit.
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Is it true that he implied during the debate that audits are a normal, everyday thing? Because holy lulz.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Some fact checks for both Clinton and Trump.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/debate-fact-c ... ories.html
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

callmeslick wrote:who's joining me?
Perhaps, I am ready to support you on any of your request or the reason, but not this one.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

since you chose to chime in, Sigma, let me ask you: in that paradise of openness and freedom, I presume any Russian had access to unedited, fully translated footage of the entire debate, as was available in most of the rest of the world. Is that correct?
George Orwell---"1984"
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

callmeslick wrote:since you chose to chime in, Sigma, let me ask you: in that paradise of openness and freedom, I presume any Russian had access to unedited, fully translated footage of the entire debate, as was available in most of the rest of the world. Is that correct?
This is a direct link to the website of The New Yorker. What could be the editing? Here are a couple of links, what write about it in Russia, if that's what you mean.

http://ren.tv/novosti/2016-08-17/v-ssha ... ri-klinton
http://www.bbc.com/russian/features-37211378

Although frankly, this is more interested journalists and politicians, ordinary people do not worry about it. At least in conversations, as far as I know, in the best case, this topic is of interest to 0.01% of the population of Russia.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

tunnelcat wrote:
Better than looking at a pissed off, not prepared, arrogant, sniveling slimebag. And Trump DID answer a question last night we've all had for months, by flapping his gums in a fit of boastful irritation. He doesn't pay any taxes, because he's "smart". I seriously doubt all the hard working tax paying people of America appreciate his rich businessman tax con game, legal or not.
And did you call slick any names when he bragged how he paid no taxes on his inheritance?

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:
And did you call slick any names when he bragged how he paid no taxes on his inheritance?
not that I remember, but then again, I was decrying the reality. Not, for instance, bragging that I was 'smart'. Kind of a big difference, but that sort of obvious fact doesn't really matter to you,now does it?
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

sigma wrote:
callmeslick wrote:since you chose to chime in, Sigma, let me ask you: in that paradise of openness and freedom, I presume any Russian had access to unedited, fully translated footage of the entire debate, as was available in most of the rest of the world. Is that correct?
This is a direct link to the website of The New Yorker. What could be the editing? Here are a couple of links, what write about it in Russia, if that's what you mean.

http://ren.tv/novosti/2016-08-17/v-ssha ... ri-klinton
http://www.bbc.com/russian/features-37211378

Although frankly, this is more interested journalists and politicians, ordinary people do not worry about it. At least in conversations, as far as I know, in the best case, this topic is of interest to 0.01% of the population of Russia.
ok, thanks. That sort of thing gets wondered about here, it's good that you get some unfiltered access.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
woodchip wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:
not that I remember, but then again, I was decrying the reality. Not, for instance, bragging that I was 'smart'. Kind of a big difference, but that sort of obvious fact doesn't really matter to you,now does it?
Oh get off it slick, you chortled the whole thread about how "rich" people don't pay taxes by doing things in a certain manner. You're no different than Trump...like being compared to him?

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

bull★■◆●^^^
George Orwell---"1984"
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

callmeslick wrote:... it's good that you get some unfiltered access.
I wish the same for you =)
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

alas, available but underutilized. :(
George Orwell---"1984"