Righteous Arrogance

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Righteous Arrogance

Post by Nightshade »

callmeslick wrote:you already displayed utter ignorance of Islam and stood by it. Zero credibility here.
Yes, I guess Sam Harris is ignorant as well as I share his correct view of the threat of islam...and you don't.

Liberals standing for liberal principles?

Seems you all fall into the "Ben Affleck" school of islam - a religion for those poor downtrodden "brown people" and how dare you say anything bad about it.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re: Pissing off the right people...

Post by Ferno »

How come I don't see you complaining about the same stuff in christianity, thunderbunny? If you read the bible, you'll see it's just as violent.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Ferno wrote:How come I don't see you complaining about the same stuff in christianity, thunderbunny? If you read the bible, you'll see it's just as violent.
When Christianity becomes a threat to western civilization- then yes, I will of course "complain" about it.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

It already IS.

Abortion clinic bombings.

antivaxxers.

global warming denialism.

Intelligent design
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Ferno wrote:It already IS.

Abortion clinic bombings.

antivaxxers.

global warming denialism.

Intelligent design
Uuuh...did you watch that video I linked at all?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Yes I did. And what does that have to do with what I said? I'll give you a hint -- NOTHING.

But there you are, all quiet on the damage christianity is doing to the western world. I'm still waiting for you to denounce the evils you said you would.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Let's see how long before Mike Pence starts putting some hurt on all those western non-Christians, including Atheists, Jews and LGBTQ people, when he forms his new Christian Theocracy. In fact, I'm betting that one of Trump's next executive orders will be to legalize discrimination against LGBTQ people, most certainly at the behest of Pence.

https://theintercept.com/2016/11/15/mik ... s-history/
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Anyone know the punishment for apostasy in christianity?

I do.

Death.

Not just to the person converting, but to the person converting you - and the entire city. Think I'm making this stuff up? I'm not.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Ferno wrote:Anyone know the punishment for apostasy in christianity?

I do.

Death.

Not just to the person converting, but to the person converting you - and the entire city. Think I'm making this stuff up? I'm not.
Yeah. I can't wait to see those Christians death squads rounding up unbelievers and shooting them in the streets. :roll:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Nightshade wrote:
Ferno wrote:How come I don't see you complaining about the same stuff in christianity, thunderbunny? If you read the bible, you'll see it's just as violent.
When Christianity becomes a threat to western civilization- then yes, I will of course "complain" about it.
it is and has been for a while
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Nightshade wrote:

I do.

Death.

Yeah. I can't wait to see those Christians death squads rounding up unbelievers and shooting them in the streets. :roll:
keep ignoring current reality and it will happen(again.....we've had mobs of murderous Christians before, they wore white robes the last time here).
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
woodchip wrote:So slick, you are defending a ISIS terrorist. How pleasant.
no, I'm not. Others put it to you quite well, and you were too stupid to catch the fact that the Cheeto Hitler has just given ANOTHER gift to terrorist recruiters. Oh, and weren't you another one who was utterly ignorant of the prayer rules in Muslim culture? Yeah, that's right, you WERE.
And just what rules was I ignorant about?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
Nightshade wrote:

I do.

Death.

keep ignoring current reality and it will happen(again.....we've had mobs of murderous Christians before, they wore white robes the last time here).
Yes and they were southern Democrats. Even embraced one of those murderous thugs into the Senate.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

mmmmm-boy!!
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

woodchip wrote:Yes and they were southern Democrats. Even embraced one of those murderous thugs into the Senate.
Nope. Read a history book sometime. Ignorant twit.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Nightshade wrote:Yeah. I can't wait to see those Christians death squads rounding up unbelievers and shooting them in the streets. :roll:
Don't you see the problem here? you're always talking about how badly things would go if more muslims came into this country, but you give christianity a pass like this one - even though the two religions are identical.

Did you also know that in christianity, you're supposed to burn a woman with fire until she's dead if she's a prostitute and daughter of a priest? Let's see you give that a pass.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

to be fair, that isn't Christianity, Ferno, that is from the OLD Testament, which, somehow gets USED by some so-called Christians to justify all sorts of hate. A true Christian should accept that Jesus came to sort of clear matters up and in fact embraced the outcasts and criminals in Jewish society. He would NEVER have supported such a thing, based on any gospel I ever read.
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

callmeslick wrote:to be fair, that isn't Christianity, Ferno, that is from the OLD Testament, which, somehow gets USED by some so-called Christians to justify all sorts of hate. A true Christian should accept that Jesus came to sort of clear matters up and in fact embraced the outcasts and criminals in Jewish society. He would NEVER have supported such a thing, based on any gospel I ever read.

What you've read is incomplete. Even in the new testament, jesus talks about not bringing piece, but war.

and this "that's just from the old testament" is just cherry-picking; and a lot of people, you included, are using the bible like a buffet.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Ferno wrote:What you've read is incomplete. Even in the new testament, jesus talks about not bringing piece, but war.

and this "that's just from the old testament" is just cherry-picking; and a lot of people, you included, are using the bible like a buffet.
ferno would probably use the bible for toilet paper.

As an atheist, I could care less...but I fail to see where Jesus is a bloodthirsty warlord that calls for the death of unbelievers, chops peoples' heads off and marries 9 year old girls.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Nightshade wrote:As an atheist, I could care less...but I fail to see where Jesus is a bloodthirsty warlord that calls for the death of unbelievers, chops peoples' heads off and marries 9 year old girls.
Bible toilet paper. I absolutely would use it for that. It's the only fitting use for it.

death of unbelievers? Luke 19:27

beheading? Matthew 14:10

Marrying 9 year olds? Numbers 31:18

You lose.

Oh and one more thing: we got this bull★■◆●.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 54886.html
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

as an agnostic, I tend to at least agree the book is allegory, at best. There is a vast difference in the actual words of Jesus, if narrowly focused upon, and the whole of the rest, especially the traditional Jewish laws embodied within the Old Testament. I for one will never accept a religion that denies me shellfish......... :wink:
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Righteous Arrogance

Post by Spidey »

I dare anyone to post a picture of the Koran with that text attached to it...without getting everyone REALY nervous.

:wink:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:I dare anyone to post a picture of the Koran with that text attached to it...without getting everyone REALY nervous.

:wink:
you aren't really challenging me to get paint shop and the camera out, are you?
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

If you know how to use image editing software, why do you always post somebody else’s work?

But sure…go ahead…and I guarantee it will make people nervous.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Yeah, go ahead slick. Lets see what happens when Google Bot displays it all over the net and the Muslim religious zealots take offense.

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:If you know how to use image editing software, why do you always post somebody else’s work?

But sure…go ahead…and I guarantee it will make people nervous.
only thing I use it for is Trout Fly images, which keep me sort of busy. Meme pics are far too numerous to bother creating. When I come back from the Super Bowl party weekend, I'll try and work something up. What the heck are you afraid of?
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:Yeah, go ahead slick. Lets see what happens when Google Bot displays it all over the net and the Muslim religious zealots take offense.
Dear fragile snowflake. I don't live my life in fear. I'd post it side by side with the bible shot, and if anyone wants to be offended, so be it. Ironically, it would likely be fine, presented that way, to most Muslims. They'd get it. I'm not, for instance, making a picture of their Prophet, which is culturally offensive to them. Not that such cultural bounds should apply to others.....
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

What the heck are you afraid of?
I’m not afraid, because I would never do anything like that.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Ferno wrote:
Nightshade wrote:As an atheist, I could care less...but I fail to see where Jesus is a bloodthirsty warlord that calls for the death of unbelievers, chops peoples' heads off and marries 9 year old girls.
Bible toilet paper. I absolutely would use it for that. It's the only fitting use for it.

death of unbelievers? Luke 19:27

beheading? Matthew 14:10

Marrying 9 year olds? Numbers 31:18

You lose.
So it's Jesus calling for these things?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

You didn't even look at the passages, did you.

And you call yourself an athiest. [Deleted - Personal Shot]
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Ferno wrote:You didn't even look at the passages, did you.

And you call yourself an athiest. ★■◆●, please.
And there's the name calling. lol...

A friend of mine replied to your assertions on those passages:

"I would tell him to actually read the verses and the surrounding text that he's talking about. Virgins for example (not 9 year olds.) And the beheading in the previous passage was done by an evil king that was denounced many, many times in his account. That's like saying the US condones murder because some criminals have committed murder even though they were caught and prosecuted for it. The first passage was a parable, not an account. It was about "a hard man" and his treatment of people."
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

And of course, we're always in search of "moderate islam."

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

dunno what you're searching for. I worked with moderate Muslims my entire professional career. Dozens of them.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Welcome to our new Evangelical Christian madrasas.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/evangelical- ... 01975.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

...okay this is a new ★■◆●ing low. Falwell wouldn't know the meaning of the word "education" if someone chucked Webster's at his batshit crazy fundie head. Get Twittler the ★■◆● out of here before he completely destroys everything he touches.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Here, I'll shock you all. As one with a cousin in VA sending a kid to Liberty, THIS Falwell does understand education, to some extent. He basically took Daddy's bible college and turned it into a real University, and with pretty solid academic credentials. Does it have a religious and ideological slant? Sure, but no one is forced to attend. If this guy is merely an advisor on higher ed, I can live with it unless we start dictating policy or such to all institutions.
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Top Gun wrote:...okay this is a new ★■◆●ing low. Falwell wouldn't know the meaning of the word "education" if someone chucked Webster's at his batshit crazy fundie head. Get Twittler the ★■◆● out of here before he completely destroys everything he touches.
Falwell......JUNIOR

But "Twittler" is clever...did you make that one up?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Yes, shockingly enough I'm capable of reading the word "Junior." You'll excuse me if I look with extreme disdain at someone whose educational facility teaches that the Earth is 6000 years old. Anyone pushing that sort of absolute nonsense isn't qualified to advise a kindergarten finger-painting curriculum.

And I only wish I could take credit for that particular moniker.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

1. I wouldn't exactly bank on what Sam Harris has to say about religion in general... his level of scholarship on the matter isn't exactly high quality.
2. All of the blind hate for Christianity that I see displayed is nothing more than that - blind hate. If you want to present a credible case for why the Bible advocates violence, hate, or other immoral activity you're welcome to - but the onus is on you to make a cogent argument.

By the way, those two above are quite linked - and typical of the "new atheist" movement championed by the likes of Harris, Dawkins: long on anti-Christian emotional rhetoric, short on quality Biblical scholarship. To those who would assert that studying the Bible is a fool's errand: doing so brings you back to blind assertions... if you want to claim that a work is false, you're going to have to address it (and hence study it) in order to make your case. If you do not wish to study the Bible, you have no basis upon which to make any claims about it.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan