Descent 3 Linux Files

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

User avatar
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master
Posts: 9205
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Beaverton, Oregon USA

Post by Duper » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:02 pm

I nominate Funky for \"Bump Duty\"! :lol:
User avatar
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: 'Nawlins
Contact:

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by FunkyStickman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:06 am

Semi-annual Bump. For great justice.

File is still up, it has a different name, get it HERE:

http://jeffhendricks.net/D3-linux-files-2010.tar.gz
User avatar
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Posts: 1520
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:51 pm

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by TechPro » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:34 pm

I do appreciate it. I've had to rebuild my Linux systems and was a bit dismayed when I found my copy of D3 Loki is missing Disc 1. What you've done here will help greatly. :)
User avatar
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Posts: 1520
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:51 pm

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by TechPro » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:25 pm

Oh heck. :? I can't seem to get that command rename to lowercase command to work (3.3 in the instructions). I get a message:

Code: Select all

bash: sytax error near unexpected token 'do' 
Don't have any idea what to do about it.

For now, I'm getting a message "Unable to open font lohud.fnt" when I try to run the game.


EDIT: I found my Disc 1 of my Linux Descent 3 ... but it won't install. When I try to run the installer it tells me:

Code: Select all

setup.sh: 9: setup.sh: function: not found
x86
Any suggestions?
User avatar
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: 'Nawlins
Contact:

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by FunkyStickman » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:10 pm

Hmm.... you running 64-bit? Did you delete the original folders?
User avatar
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Posts: 1520
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:51 pm

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by TechPro » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:42 pm

32bit. Didn't delete any original folders.

The system is Xubuntu 13.04 (Xfce Ubuntu).

Also tried running the Descent 3 Loki CD on a Linux Mint (Mate) 14.1 that has never had any Descent 3 on it ... got the same bash message.

Yes, I made sure I was running with root access.
User avatar
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: 'Nawlins
Contact:

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by FunkyStickman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm

Annual bump. For Great Justice.

Anybody here still playing?
VonVentman
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by VonVentman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:24 pm

Just recently tried out your guide to get a Windows install converted to Zorin OS 8 (*buntu 13.10, basically). Did all the symlinking of libGL and /dev/js0, but had a hell of a time getting something to recreate an OSS sound server. padsp, which was suggested in a few threads across the 'net, did nothing but reboot the X server to a login screen. I did, however, find another program, osspd, that does work, now the game works 100%. Too bad Vortex doesn't work in linux, but as long as other trackers have ways of launching with the server IP in the game, I'll take it.
User avatar
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor
Posts: 4434
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 1999 2:01 am

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by snoopy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:18 pm

VonVentman wrote:Just recently tried out your guide to get a Windows install converted to Zorin OS 8 (*buntu 13.10, basically). Did all the symlinking of libGL and /dev/js0, but had a hell of a time getting something to recreate an OSS sound server. padsp, which was suggested in a few threads across the 'net, did nothing but reboot the X server to a login screen. I did, however, find another program, osspd, that does work, now the game works 100%. Too bad Vortex doesn't work in linux, but as long as other trackers have ways of launching with the server IP in the game, I'll take it.
padsp is an OSS compatibility tool for pulse audio - if you're not running pulse, it isn't going to work.

If just running ALSA, aoss is the equivalent.

It looks like osspd is built to support both ALSA and Pulse.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
User avatar
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: 'Nawlins
Contact:

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by FunkyStickman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:12 am

I think it's time for me to update the Linux Files and HOWTO.

It's only been what, 15 years?

Geez I'm old.

Bump for great justice. Will update when it's done.
crash_x
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:36 am
Location: calif

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by crash_x » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:10 am

FunkyStickman wrote:Annual bump. For Great Justice.

Anybody here still playing?

Tryin to,,,,play
not getting this linux thing very well.
good to see all the work and help you put out for us,
Thanks
User avatar
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: 'Nawlins
Contact:

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by FunkyStickman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:38 pm

crash_x wrote:
FunkyStickman wrote:Annual bump. For Great Justice.

Anybody here still playing?

Tryin to,,,,play
not getting this linux thing very well.
good to see all the work and help you put out for us,
Thanks
You're welcome! I haven't had much time to play lately. I *did* get it working on my new machine, just haven't updated the HowTo yet.

Still happy that people are still playing this, though! Need to get my kids playing through it.
User avatar
Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:52 pm

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by Negatratoron » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Hey, I'm getting the following libGL error trying to run this:

lol@foldingmachine:~/Downloads/d3linux$ ./descent3
Could not load [/home/lol/Downloads/d3linux/imd.bmp]! Can't request CD swap!
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 154 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
Value in failed request: 0x0
Serial number of failed request: 36
Current serial number in output stream: 37

Can anybody help?
User avatar
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: 'Nawlins
Contact:

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by FunkyStickman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:41 pm

Negatratoron wrote:Hey, I'm getting the following libGL error trying to run this:

lol@foldingmachine:~/Downloads/d3linux$ ./descent3
Could not load [/home/lol/Downloads/d3linux/imd.bmp]! Can't request CD swap!
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 154 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
Value in failed request: 0x0
Serial number of failed request: 36
Current serial number in output stream: 37

Can anybody help?
Holy freaking cow. I forgot this thread was here!
Okay, okay... couple of quick questions. Looks like it's an OpenGL issue. What version of Linux are you using? What graphics card do you have? Which drivers are you using? (open source, oem, etc.)
What version of X do you have installed? Do you run other games on it? Have you read through the HOWTO? Made a symlink to the proper libGL.so files?
Let us know... we'll see what we can do.
User avatar
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master
Posts: 6386
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 1999 2:01 am
Location: ☃☃☃

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by Jeff250 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:56 pm

My wild guess is that you are running 64-bit linux but are missing the 32-bit version of the mesa DRI library. On a debian-based distro, you would fix this by:

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri:i386
User avatar
Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:52 pm

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by Negatratoron » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:14 pm

I have no idea what happened, but I had to reinstall Linux for other reasons - and now descent3 is working.

Even on the new install, I was getting that same error until I installed the libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 package, which I installed because it was required for Steam as explained here: https://wiki.debian.org/Steam. I can't believe that package wouldn't have been installed on my old system, though...

What luck.
User avatar
Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:52 pm

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by Negatratoron » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:45 pm

Very weird, it suddenly doesn't work any more. Same error. No clue what I changed that broke it. However at least we know it CAN work.
FunkyStickman wrote:
Negatratoron wrote:Hey, I'm getting the following libGL error trying to run this:

lol@foldingmachine:~/Downloads/d3linux$ ./descent3
Could not load [/home/lol/Downloads/d3linux/imd.bmp]! Can't request CD swap!
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 154 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
Value in failed request: 0x0
Serial number of failed request: 36
Current serial number in output stream: 37

Can anybody help?
Holy freaking cow. I forgot this thread was here!
Okay, okay... couple of quick questions. Looks like it's an OpenGL issue. What version of Linux are you using? What graphics card do you have? Which drivers are you using? (open source, oem, etc.)
What version of X do you have installed? Do you run other games on it? Have you read through the HOWTO? Made a symlink to the proper libGL.so files?
Let us know... we'll see what we can do.
Version of linux: Debian stretch
Graphics card: GeForce 590
Drivers: nvidia-driver package
X version: 1.19.2
Other games: Yes.
Read HOWTO: I have not created a symlink, but it looks like descent3 can find libGL.so, there's just an error. I guess it's using the 64-bit one instead of the 32-bit one or something but I have no idea.
Jeff250 wrote:My wild guess is that you are running 64-bit linux but are missing the 32-bit version of the mesa DRI library. On a debian-based distro, you would fix this by:

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri:i386
That package is already installed.
User avatar
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: 'Nawlins
Contact:

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by FunkyStickman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:33 pm

Negatratoron wrote:I have no idea what happened, but I had to reinstall Linux for other reasons - and now descent3 is working.

Even on the new install, I was getting that same error until I installed the libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 package, which I installed because it was required for Steam as explained here: https://wiki.debian.org/Steam. I can't believe that package wouldn't have been installed on my old system, though...

What luck.
Aaaah, yes. Steam actually has its own versions of certain packages, including libGL and others. They do this just in case the system repos don't have them, but on newer systems, they actually interfere with the installed ones and tend to break stuff.

Try this: rename the pre-installed libraries, and see if that fixes it.
They will be in ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/
Also in ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

cd ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/
mv libstdc++.so.6 libstdc++.so.6.bak
cd ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
mv libstdc++.so.6 libstdc++.so.6.bak

Really, you don't need ANY of these files if you have a properly functioning GLX environment, so you could try renaming the whole directory. DON'T DELETE IT! Just rename it, try it, and put it back if that didn't fix it.
Heck, you could rename the entire .local/share/Steam folder temporarily.

Give that a shot and see what it does.
User avatar
Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:52 pm

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by Negatratoron » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:36 pm

Renamed .local/share/Steam, no dice.
User avatar
Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:52 pm

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by Negatratoron » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:17 pm

Reinstalled linux again, found the culprit. The package I installed that broke descent3 was libgl1-mesa-dev:i386. Now trying to figure out how to run descent3 even with that package installed...

Also, there's no sound :/
User avatar
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: 'Nawlins
Contact:

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by FunkyStickman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:28 pm

Negatratoron wrote:Reinstalled linux again, found the culprit. The package I installed that broke descent3 was libgl1-mesa-dev:i386. Now trying to figure out how to run descent3 even with that package installed...

Also, there's no sound :/
The sound problem is pretty easy to fix: put "padsp" before "descent3" in your shortcut. It's a Pulse Audio wrapper.

Are you sure it's the "dev" version of that package? That just has source code and programming resources. Do you mean libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 or libgl1-mesa-dri:i386?
User avatar
Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:52 pm

Re: Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by Negatratoron » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:21 pm

FunkyStickman wrote:
Negatratoron wrote:Reinstalled linux again, found the culprit. The package I installed that broke descent3 was libgl1-mesa-dev:i386. Now trying to figure out how to run descent3 even with that package installed...

Also, there's no sound :/
The sound problem is pretty easy to fix: put "padsp" before "descent3" in your shortcut. It's a Pulse Audio wrapper.

Are you sure it's the "dev" version of that package? That just has source code and programming resources. Do you mean libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 or libgl1-mesa-dri:i386?
Ah good, padsp fixes it. Yes, I'm sure it's the "dev" package.
Post Reply