Trump making America great

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Trump making America great

Post by woodchip »

First 9 months we have:
2nd Q GDP at 3.1%
People receiving food stamps is down
Unemployment lowest is 17 years
Stock market (dow jones), from when Trump won the election, has went from 18000 to 23000.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/stock-market Speaking of which slick, since you bailed from the US
market to the Asian market, how have your stocks been doing? Me? I've gained 20+ %
NASA says sea levels have fallen. Maybe Trump is god-like after all :P
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Trump making America great

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:First 9 months we have:
2nd Q GDP at 3.1%
People receiving food stamps is down
Unemployment lowest is 17 years
thank you, Obama, that is ENTIRELY his doing. ENTIRELY, given that Trump won't even have a fiscal year in for another year.
Stock market (dow jones), from when Trump won the election, has went from 18000 to 23000.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/stock-market Speaking of which slick, since you bailed from the US
market to the Asian market, how have your stocks been doing? Me? I've gained 20+ %
actually ALL stocks are up, so I'm doing great. The reason the US market is up, had you read here, is that our currency has been tanking since Jan 15 or so. We are down 11% vs the Euro, 10% versus gold, etc. Thus, the stock market merely reflects that the inherent valuation of GLOBAL focused businesses be retained. And, it has.
NASA says sea levels have fallen. Maybe Trump is god-like after all :P
and, the report last week clearly shows that man-made causation is the ONLY plausible explanation for warming over the past century. The link is bogus, if you are looking for proof than warming is abating.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I've been wondering over the last few weeks how anyone could possibly continue to support that fetid piece of smegma. Now I know: it takes a complete ignorant ★■◆●.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Woodchip, I'd be very leery of our currently overvalued market. What you've gained could vanish in a instant, all because of one Trump mistake. Have you heard of the term "Irrational Exuberance"? Because that's the only thing that explains why this crazy market is even going up so much. Trump has done NOTHING to cause it to happen, at least so far. Of course his new tax plan is Christmas gold to all the pigs on Wall Street, but not so much for the rest of America. Long term, the middle class will eventually languish.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/02/politics/ ... index.html
Top Gun wrote:I've been wondering over the last few weeks how anyone could possibly continue to support that fetid piece of smegma. Now I know: it takes a complete ignorant ★■◆●.
More delusional idiots than you can possibly imagine Top Gun. Trump is a gift from God according to most Evangelicals, as this author explains in his new book (that is, if anyone can sit through 30 minutes of this drivel just to figure out why these idiots think Trump is a gift from God). :roll:

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

heckuva comeback from your wet dream fantasy, Woody. Not comfy with facts, are you?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Evidently you're not comfy with "facts". I listed some and you want to do the dog and pony act around them.

And TC, disappointed you find name calling OK.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote:And TC, disappointed you find name calling OK.
I didn't mention you personally, did I? Unless you're an Evangelical. :wink: And the delusional idiots I was referring to were any Evangelicals who've bought into Mr. Strang's craziness, lock, stock and barrel. The TV Evangelical in Chief, Pat Robertson, is absolutely giddy about the concept of Trump being a gift from God. I'd personally LOVE to hear either CUDA's or Snoopy's thoughts on this one.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Tunnelcat wrote:
I didn't mention you personally, did I? Unless you're an Evangelical. :wink: And the delusional idiots I was referring to were any Evangelicals who've bought into Mr. Strang's craziness, lock, stock and barrel. The TV Evangelical in Chief, Pat Robertson, is absolutely giddy about the concept of Trump being a gift from God. I'd personally LOVE to hear either CUDA's or Snoopy's thoughts on this one.
Didn't mean you, I meant others.

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Don't want to be called terrible things? Stop spouting terrible opinions. The power is yours!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote:
Tunnelcat wrote:
Didn't mean you, I meant others.
Yes, it's tacky and Trumpesque I'll have to admit, but sometimes I just get the urge to call it as I see it and people thinking Trump is a gift from God fall into the nutcase camp. You yourself have no trouble calling Hillary Clinton, "Crooked Hillary" or that other unmentionable name you used to refer to her all the time during the election that the profanity filter now blocks. :wink:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

He will be Cheeto Hitler to me until he chooses to behave like a President of a Republic.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Oh, and now China is our friend, at least while Trump is over there getting the royal treatment and his golden butt kissed. The guy couldn't keep a promise even if he was paid to do so (thank God sometimes). :wink:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

direct quote for Woody, from CBS Business report(oh, and my investment move was NOT to Asia, but to a lot of overseas markets, heavily weighted to Europe and India.

'After Thursday's pullback, the S&P 500 is still ahead for the year by 15.5 percent. But numerous foreign bourses eclipse it -- for example, those in Italy (up 18 percent), India (25 percent), Japan (20 percent) and Brazil (21 percent). "

I have one overseas fund that has a loss barrier of 2%(you cannot lose more than 2% in the year), with an upper cap of 22% this year, and they are fast approaching the high cap.
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

whee!! The US has dropped from #1 to #5 most respected nation status in the world. In one year! We'll be lucky to make the Top 25 in another few years at this rate.
That would, I believe, keep us from making the playoffs. Meanwhile, the irony of electing 'strong' Trump is that more and more folks realize the reality:

George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:31 am direct quote for Woody, from CBS Business report(oh, and my investment move was NOT to Asia, but to a lot of overseas markets, heavily weighted to Europe and India.

'After Thursday's pullback, the S&P 500 is still ahead for the year by 15.5 percent. But numerous foreign bourses eclipse it -- for example, those in Italy (up 18 percent), India (25 percent), Japan (20 percent) and Brazil (21 percent). "

I have one overseas fund that has a loss barrier of 2%(you cannot lose more than 2% in the year), with an upper cap of 22% this year, and they are fast approaching the high cap.
Funny you didn't mention the Dow as it is up 25%:
The Dow has spiked an incredible 4,500 points since the election. As CNNMoney has reported frequently, that 25% surge is based in part on Trump's promises to slash taxes and regulation.
CNN

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

And the national debt is now entering astronomical levels thanks to the Republicans, their tax cuts and their great leader, Donald J. Trump. Plus, I'm willing to bet that the Senate will scrub out the House repeal of the Obamacare Mandate in their version of the tax cut bill, for just that reason. They want the damn money. :wink:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

no, the Dow is NOT up 25%. It started the year around 19K, 25% of that would put it around 24K. It is up 18% or was until the end of the week. It will keep going up, because any globally focused business, with a decent plan for the coming changes, is going to make serious money. I just read two reports, one of which suggested next year will be about the same for US and global equities, the second actually called for an uptick. Not that much of a bull, myself, but this has become an investors world.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Read my post closer...since the election, not the start of the year.

Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

The DOW isn't a very good indicator of the U.S. economy. You're just cherry-picking the index that makes you look the best. The S&P 500 is a much better indicator.

That said, the S&P 500 is still up a lot in terms of USD. But as Slick mentioned, the value of the USD is down. This isn't some dodge. As someone who is currently living abroad but still maintains U.S. investments (i.e., I am essentially a foreign investor in the US economy), my US investments have seen much more mediocre gains in terms of my country of residence's currency, and I suspect that most foreign investors investing in the US economy have seen similar performance from the perspective of their host country's currency. The only people who have seen such seemingly impressive gains with their US investments are people living in the US (or any other country with a devaluing currency). If you only look at the stock price and not the value of the dollar it's being priced in, then you might think that this isn't a problem, but you pay for it when everything subtly becomes more expensive.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

callmeslick wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:27 amWe are down 11% vs the Euro
Yeah, another way of thinking about this is that if instead of investing in the US market you had instead invested in a bunch of Euros stuffed under your mattress, even this "investment" would be up 11%.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Woodchip, what do you think Trump has done to improve the U.S. economy?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

simple graphics for all to handle easily:

George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

And this is a good spot to bring up Trump's and the Republican's little tax cut plan and who those cuts really benefit, the wealthy and the corporations. Neither plan will really benefit me except for the increase in the exemption. But almost every state that has higher local taxes, under EITHER plan, will no longer be deductible on everyone's federal income taxes. Of course, this is a royal screw job aimed at liberal-leaning high tax states, but it also hits quite a few states where Trump won too. The 2 Houses of Congress can't even agree on the deduction for large medical expenses.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... e-tax-bill

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017 ... tax-bills/