ALIENS!

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

ALIENS!

Post by Nightshade »

...or is it just Mulder and Scully snooping around? ;)
Mysterious observatory evacuation stirs alien conspiracy theories

The FBI showed up and evacuated the remote Sunspot solar observatory in southern New Mexico. Almost a week later, no one knows why.

Reports that a Blackhawk helicopter and federal agents swooped in and inexplicably evacuated a remote part of New Mexico, including a prominent solar observatory, has some corners of the internet predictably atwitter about a possible alien coverup.

FBI agents showed up at the Sunspot solar observatory in tiny Sunspot, New Mexico, on Friday and shut down the facility, evacuating the local area, including the Sunspot post office.

"There was a Blackhawk helicopter, a bunch of people around antennas and work crews on towers, but nobody would tell us anything," Otero County Sheriff Benny House told the Alamogordo Daily News. "I don't know why the FBI would get involved so quick and not tell us anything."

Five days later, the observatory's website confirms the entire facility is closed to both staff and the public until further notice.

"The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) who manages the facility is addressing a security issue at this time," AURA spokesperson Shari Lifson said in an emailed statement. "It's a temporary evacuation of the facility. We will open it up as soon as possible."

https://www.cnet.com/news/mysterious-ob ... -theories/
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: ALIENS!

Post by Tunnelcat »

This is how government conspiracy theories get going. The Feds swoop in mysteriously, take over, kick the public out, then give no explanation whatsoever for their actions. Hey, New Mexico does seem to be the epicenter of more than a few government alien coverups..... :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

I actually visted the solar observatory many times as a kid. It is located near Cloudcroft New Mexico where my grandparents used to have a cabin in the woods.

Silly 'alien speculation video' follows:

I actually know the newslady (anchor)- Estela Casas, that introduces the story for Channel 7 ABC in that area.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

"Aliens" are fallen angels.

Even if someone forced the government to give an explanation of what happened, they'd just lie about it.
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Some more details, but the observatory is still closed.

http://earthsky.org/human-world/why-sun ... closed-fbi
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

I saw something on YouTube where someone posted that the Chinese were using the telescope to spy on missile launch tests... can observatory telescopes be redirected downward that much? Is there even a military base nearby? :)
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I wonder if it had something to do with this?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... -companies