Bite Size Descent -BETA-

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Bite Size Descent -BETA-

Post by LightWolf »

About a year or so ago I gave myself a challenge: Complete a list of requirements (outlined in briefing) making 24 levels in 100 segments or less. This is the result:

http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=1613

I do know that the level 19 track is too slow. If there is an HMP expert who can help (I have the original midi that is the correct tempo) it would be very appreciated.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
taterboat94
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re: Bite Size Descent -BETA-

Post by taterboat94 »

Hey, I wanted to give this one a go, but the game gives me an "Error Loading Mission File" message whenever I try to start the mission. Any idea what might be causing that or how to fix it?

EDIT: Lol, I'm such an idiot. For some reason, I thought this was a Descent 1 mission. No wonder it wasn't working. At any rate, I've gotten through the first 2 systems, and so far I've really enjoyed it. The music and small, thematic layouts give it that same arcade-like feeling that Vignettes had, and the boss levels in particular have been really neat.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I have no idea. Just extracted the ZIP on my end into my other Rebirth install and it worked fine.
Try redownloading the ZIP and see if that fixes it.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

So... if this is beta, any chance of adding co-op starts? :)
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Would require some tweaking, involving extra cubing...
I might make a rule-ignoring coop version if you wouldn't mind the rule-ignoring-ness.
#AllLivesMatter
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Co-op starts are just objects, you don't strictly need cube changes for them (D1/D2 built-in campaigns didn't, maybe Vertigo?) - unless there's just no space in some of the levels.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

There is definitely a notable lack of space in some levels - I tried to minimalize start rooms to free cubes for the bulk of the level. Only a few have rooms that accommodate coop starts, but most of them are too small - especially level 22, where you can allow a single extra start if you don't mind them taking a needed cloak right off the bat without any delay, and having others start in the line of fire of heavy robots.
#AllLivesMatter
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, the other folks probably wouldn't appreciate that :D
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Do it anyway. >:D
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Speaking of which, fun fact: the radius of a player ship is approximately 10 units. You can fit four in a single cube if you go all sardine-mode. Can they dodge? Who cares? :D
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

Can't you just have bigger cubes and put the start positions in different places in one cube?
Currently working on Descent: The Countdown Level 22 (Ogep'rgs) (Geometry)
Descent: The Countdown
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
Next level to be done: Level 23 (IO Sulphur Refinery)
The grand collection (Only after Descent: The Countdown)
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
ShivanHunter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ShivanHunter »

Pretty fun set! Very cool what you can do with just 100 cubes. Short levels are great, and small layouts are great as they prevent you from getting into boring snipefests.

I lold when you said there'd be a difficulty spike after the second area, but then immediately gave me the Gauss and then there wasn't a difficulty spike 8)

Only found a couple secret areas. Might go back and play through again to try and 100% everything.