So, Let Me Get This Straight: Descent vs Overload

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Neptin
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

So, Let Me Get This Straight: Descent vs Overload

Post by Neptin »

So, let me get this straight. There are two Descent-ish games being/already released? I'm just on console these days, no PC here, so that is my perspective.

Descent
You're flying a ship around a mine. Uses Descent's name but not developed by any of the guys that made the originals.

Overload
You're flying a ship around a mine. Developed by the guys involved in all the original Descent games but does not use the Descent name.

LOL What?! Silly legal BS. So these games are/will be basically competing against each other? And no one smart enough or loyal enough to do the research will have no idea about Overload? I'm trying to catch up. Has one sold better than the other? Are both getting console versions? Ummmm I'm so confused, concerned, and excited. After playing Anthem I remembered how much fun 360 freedom is.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re: So, Let Me Get This Straight: Descent vs Overload

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Descent is not out yet.

Overload is out and much better from my experience in playing both (early access to Descent).

I believe both are getting console but you can get more info on their sites
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: So, Let Me Get This Straight: Descent vs Overload

Post by vision »

Neptin wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:00 amSo these games are/will be basically competing against each other? And no one smart enough or loyal enough to do the research will have no idea about Overload? I'm trying to catch up. Has one sold better than the other? Are both getting console versions?
Descent and Overload are not really competing in the same space any more than the dozen other 6dof games out there. Overload has been released on PC and PS4, with Xbox on the way. I've played though Overload and I can honestly say it's pretty much all the best things about D1-D3 rolled into a single, amazing game. It's cheap too, so I definitely recommend buying it! Also, there is a set of community levels with more on the way.

Descent (formerly Descent:Underground) never made it out of development and even though it's been slated for a Spring/Summer release in 2019, no one is really counting on it. The overall feeling toward Descent is "meh." Even with strong community support it somehow completely missed the feel of the original Descent in every way.

Making a game is hard. Making a successful game is even harder. Overload didn't generate enough revenue to justify continued development, so Revival is winding down to bugfixes before packing up shop. But we got a great game out of it and I'll play Overload for years.