There's some penalty on missile count after respawning?

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

There's some penalty on missile count after respawning?

Post by Pumo »

Since some years I always had this doubt, and now while I was playing Plutonian Shores it bugged me again.

I'm up to level 27, and I'm mostly sure that I started the level with 4 shaker missiles. Died several times, and everytime I respawned I went to gather my powerups.
However, I noticed my Shaker missile count decreased to 3, even if I picked all my powerups!

Made a quick fly through the level, and it doesn't seems that I missed any of my powerups.
And IIRC, I think I saw this happened to me before, specially with Shaker missiles.

Does the Descent code includes some kind of 'penalty' on your missile or ammo count if you die many times on a level?
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: There's some penalty on missile count after respawning?

Post by Krom »

Do the all weapons cheat, then blow up your ship on a wall somewhere near the spawn room, respawn, wait and watch the field of powerups without picking any up.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Done, and found some pretty interesting stuff!
It seems that it doesn't matter how much do you have, after you die you only spew 3 Smarts, 3 Megas and 3 Shakers

Now that I look at it, I think I might recall this behaviour from the days when I was a tester for D2X-XL and paid attention to every single detail, but it seems I totally forgot about this until now that I'm playing Descent 2 again, lol

EDIT: It seems that nowadays D2X-XL changed this behaviour, as there I can get all smarts, megas and shakers, but the original DOS and Rebirth versions features this 3-missile spew limit
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

It seems like you're also capped to whatever can be held without an ammo rack on everything else. Could be wrong though.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Descer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Descer »

Get the rack before too much missiles/vulcan and thou'lt get over the limit without it.
It's just a game. Face it.