More Lights - Descent Community Album ][ Release!

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

More Lights - Descent Community Album ][ Release!

Post by Alter-Fox »

Hey all. We knew -- or at least we kinda hoped a little bit -- that this day would come. And it has come.
Are you excited because I'm really excited.
First off I've got the download links, everything else can wait till I've shared those.

Here's the album in 320kbps mp3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M-zor ... wyrWeJ_EaG
And here it is in lossless flac: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dMOVQ ... MuuMMy-Os6
Keep in mind some people sent me songs in mp3 and ogg so some tracks will be more lossless than others. They were all at least equivalent to the 320kbps mp3 version to begin with though, and past that quality differences are pretty hard to hear anyway.
This was a long time in the making. The original Descent Community Album is almost twenty years old and, sadly for the very unique and enjoyable collection that it is, mostly forgotten. But we've finally done it again.
With a new set of nine artists featuring talents like Martin Britz and R.a.M. Land (Ruben Acevedo Mendez) and Vertigo Fox, along with plenty of others including several artists for whom this is their first release of any kind. With twenty songs ranging from live guitar melodies, to 16-bit retro electronica, to fully lyrical industrial ballads, this is a ride you don't want to miss.
Big thanks to everyone involved in the music and especially to Xfing for allowing us to tie the album in with his enormous mod and level pack for the old games.
This has been a dream project of mine for many years now, so to everyone who contributed songs or just helped make it happen, you all rock. Literally.
Oh and the cover art does have a few previews of mid-late game levels from Descent 1&1/2 mixed into the images, including one of Xfing's levels -- I hope that's okay.

Now for the fun part. Anyone -- especially those who contributed to the album -- is free to share it with anyone they want since it is, in fact, a free album. You're free to copy my own links or upload it to another hosting site. In fact, the more places on the web it can be put, the longer it's gonna live, so if you can think of a better site where it should be uploaded to, I absolutely encourage you to do that. If you do want to share it there are just three things I ask of you, on behalf of everyone who was involved:
-Share only the original zips from this post and keep them intact. This ensures that all the artists who contributed songs are properly credited without you having to lift a finger to do it, and ensures it'll come out looking professional. Try to include both zips if you can.
-Put that little blurb that's in quotes into your post somewhere.
-And this should be a no brainer, but do not accept money for it. Speaking for myself and, I'm reasonably sure, for everyone else who contributed, the question of royalties is one I do not want to go near with a ten-foot pole. This was, above anything else, a fun project. Let's keep it that way.

On one other note, if you want to share the album on twitter for some reason, I do have a condensed version of the blurb I can share with you that'll just fit into a tweet. You'll have to use a second tweet for the links but you probably would have anyway. Just let me know if you want me to post the condensed version here as well.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: More Lights - Descent Community Album ][ Release!

Post by vision »

Nice! I really like Diamond Wolf's tracks. Feels like they could drop right into the game, which is what I was going for with my track. R.a.M. Land's cuts were the highlight for me. Hopefully I'll be around for DCA3.

Is DCA1 still available?
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I think it's somewhere on Planetdescent if their file upload/download system is back up.
If not I've got it lying around somewhere.

And yeah Pumo is a very talented guy.
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Both albums are available to stream/download here (I assume that's the correct first album):

https://sectorgame.com/descentfiles/?di ... ty%20Album

https://sectorgame.com/descentfiles/?di ... Album%20II

Great work! :)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yep, that is the correct first one.
Thank you for hosting! :D
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Hunter wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:43 am Both albums are available to stream/download here
Thanks!
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Just noticed you left Coda out.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

No, it's on track 6. Between In Situ and Flight Feathers.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Looks like I forgot to copy 4-8 from the ZIP.
No wonder the playlist was so short.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

So cool, can't wait to listen to the album! :D
And yeah, I'm excited indeed!
vision wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:16 pm ... R.a.M. Land's cuts were the highlight for me...
Alter-Fox wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:22 pm ...
And yeah Pumo is a very talented guy.
Thanks a lot for your comments, they are very much appreciated and I feel truly flattered. :)

vision wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:16 pm ...Is DCA1 still available?
I also think I have the DCA1 album here on my HDD, will check for that.
Btw Alter, I haven't checked, but did you already post this on Planet Descent and other Descent related communities? (like Overload forums/discord or Descendent Studios forums) ?
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yes I did. Some of them had to link back here cause some of these fora seem to have difficulty linking to google drive.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

I already shared the album on Facebook and Twitter, hope it gets more attention.
The work you did on the Unfound is very good, and the lyrics are very characteristic of you. I really liked that you embedded the lyrics to the mp3/flac files.

And by the way, I particularly liked Vision's song, Achondrite, and by that I mean I liked it a lot!
Perhaps as I'm an FM synthesis lover, it touched something on me, lol

Excellent work you did on that Vision! :D
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Pumo wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:18 pmExcellent work you did on that Vision! :D
Thanks! I spent a considerable amount of time listening to a SB16 recording of D1's OST, studying not only to tone but composition elements as well. I wanted my contribution to sound like a "lost track", something that can be dropped in to a D1 level. After play-testing I think it sounds perfectly natural. It's one of my best musical accomplishments.

This is the VST used on the track: JuceOPLVSTi
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I liked Achondrite enough that I'm actually giving it a repeat in d1.5 -- and the second level is one of my own.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

For some reason trying to play Achondrite via jukebox causes the audio to fail followed by Rebirth crashing.
#AllLivesMatter
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

So awesome to see this get posted! I'm downloading them as I write this.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Marvin
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Marvin »

Just listening these, I'm currently at track 9. Great job vision, feels as D1 track!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yes, he needs to write more songs.
Personally I absolutely love to combine sounds like that with lyrics 'cause a lot of the old-school FM envelopes get this strangely vocal quality about them. They mesh really nicely and make a nice contrast at the same time.

These days though I'm focusing more on the guitar. When every time you use it you feel like you're getting better at it it's hard to put down.
I try not to use that "ten foot pole" saying from the OP too much because I inevitably end up thinking of a really tall eastern european guy. Is that weird?

I think I'm tired. I'll stop rambling now.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Alter-Fox wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:05 pmThese days though I'm focusing more on the guitar.
I actually wrote my track with a guitar. I plugged into my mini Marshall combo amp and rocked out. Whenever I came up with a good riif I just programmed the notes into my DAW and fed them though a FM synth plugin. I think the whole piece is only 8 or 9 tracks, iirc.

Wish I had more time for music. Being an adult sucks!
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

A bit of an unnecessary bump, but in case somebody is interested, I uploaded the full Mineral Valley (Pumo Mines episode 1) soundtrack album at Bandcamp:

It has both 'Plot' and 'Lonely Shafts' songs that were featured on More Lights album by Alter's, and also some other songs you may want to give a listen to. :)