Metadata Issues since October Update

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Metadata Issues since October Update

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ever since that last October Windows Update, Microsoft seems to have royally screwed up Metadata retrieval which ended up causing printer issues on BOTH my 2 Win 10 ver. 1903 systems. It manifests itself as a bunch of Error 131 DeviceSetupManager Metadata staging failed problems, all in a couple of different containers, not just one. The printer issue manifests itself by messing up my Brother status monitor, which shows it as constantly offline. That happens because the printer seems to get stuck in a queue which shows up as a half filled blue bar under the main printer entry in Settings/Devices/Printers and Scanners. The only way to get my printer and it's status monitor working is to disable Windows going out and searching for approved drivers like it wants to do. However, I still get the 131 DeviceSetupManager errors even with that turned off. I'm not the only one either and MS has NOT fixed it as of 11/8/19. I even tried swapping in a new Metadata address in the registry from several online suggestions, but no luck there. Anyone else seeing this issue?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... itprosetup
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re: Metadata Issues since October Update

Post by fliptw »

no driver updates on the brother website?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Metadata Issues since October Update

Post by Tunnelcat »

The most updated driver for Brother is already installed and it worked fine until the October update. In fact, that particular update royally messed up HP printers as well when it was first released. I don't know if it was a similar issue though. It's also affecting Microsoft's own inbuilt devices too, so somehow MS has STILL not "fixed" their metadata address in the registry. I might just try what this guy did below if an update to 1909 doesn't solve the problem. I don't use MS's "devices" anyway. As you can see, this was a problem back in 2015 for a time.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 6f4?auth=1
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.