Win7

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Win7

Post by woodchip »

On one comp. I have a copy of win7 that was beyond the copies allowed. Now I bought the program so not a pirated version (depending on how you look at it). Problem is I can't load the free version of win10 onto the comp with that win7 there. I don't want to format the whole drive either. Is there a way to legitimize this copy or get win10 to load on it? I have a unlimited copy of win xp but don't know if that is too old to use as a foundation to then install win10 over. I did try the hd with xp on it and it wouldn't aloow the free win10 software to install. Don't know about buying a copy of win10 and trying to install over xp.
Thoughts?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Win7

Post by vision »

You can't upgrade from XP to Win10, so forget that idea. I've also found that Microsoft makes it basically impossible to add a legit license on an existing product, even if the existing product is legit. Example: I work in research and we had a academic license for Window Server 2016 and wanted to add a "Pro" license. Microsoft said reinstalling the OS was the only way.

So if I understand correctly, you want to add a legit Win7 license to an existing "copy" of Win7 so you can do the free upgrade to Win10? Is your system dual-boot? Are we talking about two separate machines? What is the reason you don't want to install a fresh copy? Do you not have a backup of your data?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

You are correct in your understanding. No backup tho I have 2 identical 1 terabyte hd's, one of which has the win7 and the other has the xp. I could put them on same comp and make and make comp dual boot them. I just don't like the headache of doing so. Means I have to dig out the old manual and fig out how to do so. Unless there is a way I could backup select data to a flash drive and reinstall from that?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Basically what you need to do is possible and an expert user can do it in the span of a few hours, but it does require an expert. I've done it myself a half dozen times, I can flatten my entire system and have a brand new install with all my applications running normally as if there was no interruption at all within a single afternoon. But ordinary users who haven't spent a huge portion of their lives since childhood tinkering under the hood of windows operating systems should never attempt this.

I would highly recommend getting someone who knows how to build their own machines and transfer their programs and data around between machines to come and help in person, this is one that really needs to be hands on.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:28 pmNo backup tho...
Ok, I'm sure you are aware that not having a backup is a terrible idea. I strongly suggest buying some additional drives and copying all your important files to them, then installing a fresh Win10 on one of those machines (provided you can't find an expert to help you upgrade the Win7 box).

If you're like me and really into making lists, you might want to make a "migration checklist". I regularly do a full Linux OS reinstall every few years because that's usually how long it takes me to break it from tinkering. My checklist has a deep list is directories I need to backup before I do a fresh install and includes things like:

* Preferences for Firefox and other programs (In Windows this is usually in the AppData folder)
* Web Browser bookmarks!
* Mods and player data for games (Sometimes these are in Program Files > Game_Name)
* System configuration files (Linux has many)
* Installers for any programs I've downloaded that I might want to reinstall
* My Documents (obviously)

That's a good start.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how ... 0-upgrade/

you'll end up with a windows 10 install regardless, and if its not activating, and that bugs you, easy enough ways to address that
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You don't have to activate windows 10, like ever. It will run unlicensed, run any compatible windows software/games/etc, and receive security updates basically forever, it does disable some cosmetic stuff though (desktop backgrounds, themes, etc).

---> https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-do ... indows-10/