Local or Microsoft Account

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Local or Microsoft Account

Post by Tunnelcat »

Which is preferable to everyone here. Having a Local Account or a Microsoft Account? I've got three Win 10 computers and right now they're all on Microsoft Accounts, but I'm finding some downsides to having it that way, mainly MS syncing the accounts between the computers. I've already had to turn off "Sync Themes" because each desktop has a different resolution and MS keeps changing the stupid desktop pictures on the other computers when I change it on one. I've come to the conclusion that Microsoft must hire a bunch of idiots who "assume" what we want and that they are usually wrong.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Local or Microsoft Account

Post by Krom »

Always local, mostly because my Microsoft password is 25 characters of random incomprehensible characters with many of them being far from the usual reach of a standard 102 key keyboard.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Always local. There is no reason I should authenticate to a remote server on a device I own. Never, ever choose Microsoft Account.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

OK, thanks guys. I currently have Microsoft Accounts on all three Win 10 computers, so I'm going to switch them all over to local accounts. I was easier to upgrade the Win 7 computer to 10 however since I had an active Microsoft Account back when I did it, but I don't need to deal with that anymore.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I do use MSA myself mostly because I don't have a good reason not to and it reduces the setup required when I have multiple devices; but yeah, there are drawbacks, as covered above.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Is One Drive enabled on a local account?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I think you can use it but would have to log into it separately. (At least the first time... it might still support automatic login.)