Event 219, Kernel PnP

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Event 219, Kernel PnP

Post by Tunnelcat »

I installed both a secondary optical drive (older Sony Opticarc DVD RW+) and a 2T WD spinner hard drive for bulk storage, both SATA. I installed the optical drive because it was brand new, sitting around unused and sometimes my LG Blu-Ray drive hates certain older disks. Now whenever I boot, I get the Event 219 error first thing in the list. However, everything works fine and there are no yellow warning markers on any device in the Device Manager and Windows reports that all devices are working normally. Also, after doing some internet researching, I've discovered that Microsoft removed the Windows Driver Foundation Service from the operating system as of version 1803 upwards, which is the one item most talked about as a fix, so it can't be set to automatic on my system. I'm suspecting the Opticarc Drive since it has an old driver from Windows, listed as 2006. Is there a way to identity which device driver for which device is the culprit from the error message in the Event Viewer and can it be fixed or else just ignored? It's listed as such:

Event 219, Kernel-PnP The driver\Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device HID\VID_0951&PID_16DF&MI_03&Co102\8&2c632188&0&0001
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Event 219, Kernel PnP

Post by Krom »

Do you have, or have you ever used a Kingston HyperX Quadcast microphone?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yes, I've got one plugged in right now.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

That is the driver listed in the error. The hints are:
HID\VID_0951&PID_16DF
HID = Human Interface Device
VID_0951 = Vendor ID: Kingston
PID_16DF = Product ID: HyperX Quadcast

Try updating and or uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers for it.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah, I figured HID was Human Interface Device, but I was stumped at VID and the Hypercast ID. I trying updating the drivers first.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

OK, updating drivers didn't work. Windows claimed it was the best up to date driver. Tried uninstalling and letting Windows reinstall the driver, no joy either. Error showed up first thing upon reboot.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Wow, I even tried removal and re-installation of the USB drivers. Still throwing the error, even though everything works and no yellow warning triangles in the Device Manager. Just plain weird. I seem to have strange errors that can never be corrected. Just like that Firefox printing issue. Whole new hard drive, whole new operating system, no left over data and still Firefox refuses to print from the main paper tray. It's like some kind of persistent ghost in the machine haunting me.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Just out of curiosity, when you click "show hidden devices" in device manger does anything else show up? Maybe delete everything in HID that is grayed out when you enable that option.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Krom wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:25 pm Just out of curiosity, when you click "show hidden devices" in device manger does anything else show up? Maybe delete everything in HID that is grayed out when you enable that option.
There are 3 hidden ones in HID, all have the same message: Currently, this device is not connected to the computer. (Code45)

!. HID-compliant consumer control device

2. HID-compliant game controller

3. USB Input Device

What would deleting them do?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

It removes the drivers for them so they will not attempt to load at startup.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Tried that. Still throws the error. Even ran the System File Checker and Windows Troubleshooter through Power Shell. Only the file checker supposedly corrected some corrupted files, but the error still persists upon reboot. :frown:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

It might also be worth checking for updated chipset/inf drivers.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'm checking on newer chipset drivers. It looks like they are available. I love that Intel has 1968 for driver file dates. Time flies in the computer world. If the new drivers solve the issue, great. I've also opened a ticket with Kingston support as well. Thanks Krom.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Krom, can you identify this driver and how do you actually do that? I'm now getting the same driver error on my laptop after the June Windows Updates.

USB\VID_06CB&PID_0078\c1ea9800676c
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Synaptics, either a touchpad or a fingerprint reader.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Synaptics for both and both devices work fine. It's starting to get old with MS and their crappy updates. MS also claims that the installed drivers are the most recent ones. The June updates also messed up the Killer Network program too, requiring cleaning out the old software and reinstalling the new version to repair. This laptop has a P7xxTMI notebook motherboard. What's the best way to find updated Intel chipset drivers?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Might depend on what chipset you have, but here is the latest one that I recently ran on my machine:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... oduct=1145
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

OK, I give up. No joy. I went ahead and updated the chipset drivers on my gaming rig first as a test since it was easier to find the right Intel drivers for the ASUS motherboard. That did NOT get rid of the Event 219, Kernel PnP error upon boot. The only way to not get the error is to unplug the microphone, boot the system and then plug it back in. I seriously doubt that updating the chipset drivers on the laptop will also get rid of a similar error for the Synaptics Touchpad and that also has a USB moniker in front of the VID moniker in the error code. I can't unplug that either since it's internally connected. I don't know what else to do and it has something to do with Windows and the USB drivers, which Windows happily says are the most up to date. The laptop error only showed up after the June Windows Update too. :frown:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if this still showed up even if you went to extremes like nuking the whole windows install and reinstalling fresh. Its probably harmless (or may even be the byproduct of some security fix), I'm thinking the only way it will eventually clear out is if the manufacturer puts out a new driver that doesn't do whatever is causing it. There might be some buried registry tweak that would fix it, but it would probably take hours or days working on the machine just to find the tools to identify it.