Just found out about this...

Forum for the new 6dof game in development by the original makers of Descent.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Just found out about this...

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Literally. Just found out about this game in the last 24 hours. Had no idea it even existing, kickstarter, anything. Guess it is based on cubic architecture, something I am apparently semi-decent at. Might as well take a look at this and see if it has an editor and see if I can make some MP levels that might actually be officially including....just in case they want to make a more robust MP component. :P
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: Just found out about this...

Post by Alter-Fox »

Editor exists -- custom multiplayer level support's not here yet but it's coming.
Welcome to the party, hehe... I think this community has a chronic problem with assuming everybody knows things that they don't necessarily know.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Wow...I haven't played Descent in over 5 years. I'm a keyboard only player and I was pretty good at it, but now I feel weird and out of place using the same control scheme setup in Overload. lol
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Maybe time for a switch?
I generally use a completely whacked control setup, but was able to survive on another to show someone else Descent, so...
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Welp, I just played through most of level 1 and I gotta say, very cubish and I can see how the transition from DLE to this can be so smooth. It is very much reminiscent of the classic series level designs. If this is the case, I know I can do some fantastic ideas. My only concern, I'm at what I think is the reactor. The exit is nearby, but I have no way of reaching the reactor and I'm clueless on what to do next.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Kill the remaining 'ops, then get to the surface. You can't destroy the reactor because <spoiler>.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

No reactor killing until level 2 I'm afraid. :)
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Listen to your AI overlord prior to embarking ;)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

The level designs feel simple and quaint. They are getting bigger from level to level, but unsure if we'll see outdoors like in Descent 3 or if it'll all stay indoors. The robots are actually quite hard to tell apart except for a few exceptional ones (I'm looking at the Diamond Claw remake).
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

I do suggest a switch to keyboard + mouse controls for Overload. It's much better at mouse pitching than the old games ever were. I still stick to keyboard only for D1 and D2, of course.
DarkFlameWolf wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:50 am The level designs feel simple and quaint. They are getting bigger from level to level, but unsure if we'll see outdoors like in Descent 3 or if it'll all stay indoors. The robots are actually quite hard to tell apart except for a few exceptional ones (I'm looking at the Diamond Claw remake).
Nah, it's all indoors. As for the robots, they'll get more distinguishable later on in the mission, though overall they do feel more homogenous than they ever did in D1 and D2. That's probably due to realism concerns that the older games didn't have to concern themselves about too much.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It's faster at pitching... but felt familiar enough to me. The mouse limits in D1/D2 are the same as any other input method, but it does take some training not to overturn.
MatDef4
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by MatDef4 »

Overload is the best game I bought for years.
As addicting as the original D1.
As hard to stop playing in spite of the ability to save at any time.
A point all the checkpoint based games should note,
"instant save" does NOT ruin gameplay nor does it give up "too much control" to the player/end user/check writer.
In that revival spent buck for coding not hype, we the end users owe it to spread the news about "6degrees",
Descent 3 is no longer the end of the line to me.
thanks to all for a great game at reasonable cost that doesn't try to force me to upgrade hardware.
An impressive feat this last bit. :D
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah if you liked Overload, and are in touch with anyone else you know liked Descent, drop 'em a line. Ultimately we all benefit because the better Overload does, the better the chances Revival can keep improving it.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

And unfortunately the sales have been disappointing which has led Revival to abandon extended future work on the game. We can forget about a sequel, though the second community pack is still coming at the very least. What a shame.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Xfing wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:25 amWhat a shame.
Statement from Matt

The game industry is insanely competitive. We all knew that Overload would likely never become a household name, but it never seemed like that was a goal to begin with. I'll happily play this game for years! Long live Revival.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Sadly any 6DOF game isn't popular. Maybe a Freespace version 3 would be better?
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Stopped playing this for a year and got back to it just now. Then realized why I stopped. It's stupid hard....on normal difficulty no less. Not even any of the 3 Descent games had THIS MANY hitscan like enemies. It's near impossible to dodge if you do not see them first. And they're typically grouped together in droves. I'm stuck on level 12 because there isn't a lives system and I'm stuck on a save file with 54 shields and not many being dropped by robots. It's not.....fun.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'm stuck I believe on the last level. There was another level that had lots of teleporters that led to other rooms etc and you had to do them in a particular order for it to work, that took me a while too.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11