[D1 Singleplayer / Co-op] "Quotiency" Development Thread

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Parabolicus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

[D1 Singleplayer / Co-op] "Quotiency" Development Thread

Post by Parabolicus »

*** Now released - see release thread ***

I felt there weren't enough long (> 10 levels) third-party D1 missions of good quality (Vignettes being the only one I can name off the cuff), so I started designing another D1 mission: a spiritual sequel to Cererian Expedition, if you will.

Originally i was planning for a mid-sized 16 level set (with two secret level slots), but opening some six or so normal level (+ 1+1 secret level, because I don't like (making) secret levels) slots would provide a welcome change in terms of design as well as some additional length (the more levels the merrier). The new total is 22+3 levels, and my plan is as follows:

01: Astraea Refinery (Parabolicus). Status: shell done
02: Sylvia Outpost (Parabolicus). Status: shell done
03: ??? (???). Status: shell done
04: Hygiea Bauxite Mine (Parabolicus). Status: shell done
05: Hygiea Processing Plant (Parabolicus). Status: shell done
06: ??? (???). Status: shell done
07: ??? (???). Status: shell done
08: Pallas Storage Facility (Parabolicus). Status: shell done
09: Pallas Helium Extraction (Parabolicus). Status: shell done
10: Pallas Laboratory (Parabolicus). Status: shell done
11: Euphrosyne Military Base (Parabolicus; boss 1). Status: shell done
12: Themis Mining Colony (Parabolicus). Status: shell done
13: ??? (???). Status: reserved for Sylandrophol
14: Cybele Ammonia Mine (Parabolicus). Status: shell done
15: ??? (???). Status: shell done
16: Vesta Power Station (Parabolicus). Status: shell done
17: Vesta Steel Foundry (Parabolicus). Status: shell done
18: ??? (???). Status: shell done
19: Ceres Platinum Mine (Parabolicus). Status: shell done
20: Ceres Control Center (Parabolicus). Status: shell done
21: Ceres Robot Depot (Parabolicus). Status: shell done
22: Interamnia Headquarters (Parabolicus; boss 2). Status: shell done

Secret levels:
SL1: secret (Parabolicus). Status: basic idea only
SL2: secret (???). Status: open for contributions
SL3: secret (Diamond Wolf). Status: first version done

I'm going to be designing most of the levels. At the time of writing this post, I have initial versions of complete shells (architecture, texturing, lighting, but no powerups or robots) for levels 1, 2, and 4, as well as a start for level 5. Ideally I should have shells for all of my levels done within a month or maybe two, depending on how busy I will be.

The normal levels are supposed to resemble D1 levels in feel and architecture, with nothing too experimental. The secret levels, on the other hand, will be a lot less "restricted" in this aspect. I'm going to populate all of the levels with powerups and enemies, so if you want to contribute levels, you don't have to worry about that (you can add some existing enemies, powerups, etc. to serve as hints for me later, but be warned that I may completely revamp the population if I feel it to be necessary). Fancy exit tunnels are welcome, as long as the game can handle them.

There are three things that I would like to not see in levels (if you stick to D1 design principles, you'll generally be fine), and will probably get rid of (by altering the design) if a contributed level has any of them:
  1. Key doors not clearly marked as key doors, generally by using the appropriate light strips
  2. Illusions, except for the energy cell effect, That means no fly-through walls.
  3. Cases where the player is ambushed immediately on spawn. Yes, D1L6 did it, but that level was meant to be a rude wake-up call anyway (with drillers and all). None of those here, please.
If you do design a level, I'd suggest you propose some kind of name, specifically the "purpose" of the facility that you've designed, be it a mine or something else. The normal level names will follow the general pattern of (asteroid name) + (facility purpose). For secret levels, much like with design, the names can be pretty much whatever you like. All of the secret level entrances will be in levels I design, but that may be reconsidered if you specifically want to design a secret exit in one of your levels.

Alternatively, if you want to just contribute an idea for a level (such as a rough, untextured layout), that is also fine, in which case I'll try to flesh out a complete level from a simple concept. Naturally, any contribution to levels, even if it be a minor one through playtesting, will be credited appropriately (assuming I choose to accept the design; there will be at least some degree of quality control here).

(The name of the mission is a made-up word. I also picked it because there are currently (or at the time of posting) no singleplayer missions on DMDB that begin with a Q. I might change it later if I come up with some better idea.)

I'll try to provide progress updates in this thread, and once the mission is complete (no briefings, since D1 briefings are hard to customize), hopefully in max 3-4 months time (including playtesting and feedback), there will be a separate release thread. Playtesters are welcome once the mission is at the point where playtesting is the next logical step.

UPDATE: I've been encumbered with real-life business and a bit of a creative block, so I haven't had much time to work on the levels. I'll continue as soon as I can get some time on my hands. At the very latest, I'd like to get this released this year.
mystery2018
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: [D1 Singleplayer / Co-op] "Quotiency" Development Thread

Post by mystery2018 »

Would definitely like to play this!
'Whole strength, have ye, Oh bounteous ones; perfect, earth-shakers, is your might|Marutas, against the poet's wrathful enemy send ye an enemy like a dart.

Rigveda 1:39.10
Parabolicus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Parabolicus »

I've restarted level design (at least for now, until I hit another creative block). Here's a bit of a sneak peek of level 9:
Attachments
lv2_09.png
mystery2018
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mystery2018 »

Nice will definitely download when it's done and available, no matter when that is. Love D1
'Whole strength, have ye, Oh bounteous ones; perfect, earth-shakers, is your might|Marutas, against the poet's wrathful enemy send ye an enemy like a dart.

Rigveda 1:39.10
Parabolicus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Parabolicus »

Just a small update: I'm on track to complete the rest of the levels I've reserved for myself in a week or two (or maybe three). I'm planning to close submissions by the end of September October, and I'll fill any of the remaining slots after that. Ideally I'd have all shells done by October early November and then can work on populating the levels, playtesting and releasing by the end of the year.

In order to make this post not a complete waste, here's another screenshot:
Attachments
room.png
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

The lighting is superb. Lighting can make or break a level. Looking forward to seeing this project completed.
worldoffood
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by worldoffood »

Hey! Wanted to say I just played through "Ulterior Ultima Thule" and I was really impressed with the level design. Had a lot of fun with it. 8) Excited to see what you're cooking up here!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Neat, I'm on level... 18.... of that right now (but I also betatested, so I've played through the rest of them, just in a slightly unfinished state). Mostly interested to see where the briefings are going.
Certainly seems to me that it strikes that balance between feeling like it's not pulling its punches, and still being fun to play.
And it manages to use that green heavy driller with the homing missiles, without feeling unfair, which, believe me, is hard to do.

And I'd certainly recommend all other players to listen through the complete album--- I mean play the whole mission :D
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I've been trying some stuff out for a secret level, and I think it's been working. Mind if I do one of those?
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Parabolicus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Parabolicus »

LightWolf wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:18 am I've been trying some stuff out for a secret level, and I think it's been working. Mind if I do one of those?
Go ahead
Sylandrophol
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Sylandrophol »

is level 13 ready to be taken up for grabs? figure i might pitch in and help out w/ stuff if needed
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Definitely stoked for another D1 mission! I don't play much D1 except for the original First Strike mission these days, since you can emulate D1 pretty well in D2 with Pumo's palette file and my sound patch & adjustments to weapon behavior anyhow. But there's definitely something about the authenticity of the experience, and indeed only Vignettes stand out as a high quality long mission right now (and arguably The Lost Levels, D1 version).
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Parabolicus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Parabolicus »

Sylandrophol wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:38 am is level 13 ready to be taken up for grabs? figure i might pitch in and help out w/ stuff if needed
Absolutely.
Sylandrophol
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Sylandrophol »

Parabolicus wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:34 am
Sylandrophol wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:38 am is level 13 ready to be taken up for grabs? figure i might pitch in and help out w/ stuff if needed
Absolutely.
gotcha, thank you
Parabolicus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Parabolicus »

Normal level submissions are now closed, secret level ones will stay open for at most a week longer. One last pre-release screenshot... hopefully going gold by the end of the year.
Attachments
fanroom.png