Intel Equivalent of AMD Sempron?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Intel Equivalent of AMD Sempron?

Post by Pumo »

Recently a client gave me an old computer of hers to fix it, but after many tests I made, it seems its motherboard is gone for good.
It has a Socket AM3 Sempron CPU, if I'm not mistaken that Sempron should be a 145 (I think is the only one that was made for the AM3?).

As a small favor I thought of giving her for cheap an old Motherboard+CPU that I have stored around to replace her failed one, but it's a Core 2 Duo from Intel.
Now the problem is I'm not that much an AMD user since the early 2000's, so I lack knowledge about some of the AMD architectures from past years.
I would like to know what is the Intel equivalent of an AMD Sempron 145, to make sure it is actually a good deal for her.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Parabolicus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Intel Equivalent of AMD Sempron?

Post by Parabolicus »

While this is by no means an expert opinion, I would probably compare a Sempron 145 (from 2010) to Celerons from 2008-09. A Sempron 145 would seem to be almost equivalent to an Intel Celeron E3200, with the major difference that the E3200 has 2 cores to the 145's 1 core (but the single-core performance appears to be near identical, for example). For a single-core comparison, a Celeron 450 would probably get similar performance if it had the same clock rate, but the 145 is clocked at 2.8 GHz while the 450 is at 2.2 GHz. A Core 2 Duo ought to be faster than a Celeron (unless the Celeron is much newer, as in by 8-10 years).

145 doesn't appear to be the only AM3 Sempron; there are both Sargas and Regor models (130, 140, 145, 150, 180, 190).
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Intel Equivalent of AMD Sempron?

Post by Pumo »

Ok, thanks for the info, this is very useful!
It seems that if everything is OK with my Motherboard it would be a pretty good deal for her.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)