Climate Change a.k.a. Global Warming

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Climate Change a.k.a. Global Warming

Post by Burlyman »

Isn't climate change part of the natural evolution of a planet? Why are we so worried about it? Aren't we supposed to adapt?
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Climate Change a.k.a. Global Warming

Post by Top Gun »

This is low-effort bait even for you.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Burlyman wrote:Aren't we supposed to adapt?
That's kinda the whole point.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Yes. It's not the end of the world.

But:

1. We're causing it to happen faster than it has ever happened in human history
2. At every point in the past where the climate changed so greatly, it led to a mass extinction

If you're fine with the human race dying out or reverting to the stone age and some other creatures becoming the dominant lifeforms, then climate change is nothing to worry about.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Burlyman wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:33 am Isn't climate change part of the natural evolution of a planet? Why are we so worried about it? Aren't we supposed to adapt?
Just to be clear: There is a distinct difference between natural climate change and anthropogenic climate change. If we're driving the change faster than we can adapt, there's a problem. The main problem is that our climate is a chaotic system and changes do necessarily not scale linearly with input. Worse, the outcomes may be delayed until it's too late to correct. We have scientific proof that large inputs into the climate system can cause drastic climactic changes. The eruption of Mount Tambora caused the "year without a summer" in 1816. Due to the nature of the event, that's literally the opposite of what is happening, however.

I'm a big fan of geo-engineering but I acknowledge that there could be...unanticipated consequences. I've been rooting for a couple extra Mount Tambora-scale events in the next few years - hopefully in extremely isolated and unpopulated areas.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

For people who aren't Neo, this xkcd strip puts into stark perspective just how swiftly we've managed to ★■◆● things up:

https://xkcd.com/1732/
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Hey Top Gun, Burlyman won't believe that timeline since it's a longer time scale than the Bible claims we've all been around. :P

However, here's a graph showing modern climate changes, post ice age, although it doesn't show the fluctuations that resulted from the 1816 Tambora eruption. Obviously once all the ash settled, the effect was temporary. We are now above the temps of the dust bowl years. And let's not forget, higher temps, even as little as 2 to 3 degrees F, means more energy to power bigger, more violent and wetter storms. With the poles and Greenland melting, sea levels will begin to impact most major coastal cities. Maybe we'll adapt since this is a long term change, but it won't be in the way most people will enjoy and certainly not with the world population numbers we currently have or in the near future. The human mass extinction event will be the next big occurrence, if we don't all kill each other first in wars over energy, land, food and water.

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I'm hoping the oceans rise at least enough to wipe Florida off the map, good riddance. Even better if it drowns Ron DeSantis, although I would feel a little bad about leaving him in the ocean, cuz, you know, he is toxic waste.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Vander wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:12 pm
Burlyman wrote:Aren't we supposed to adapt?
That's kinda the whole point.
That's what I'm saying. It's not the end of the world as was said... or is it? What if the end is something spiritual and not scientific? Or what if certain people are destroying the earth? I believe there is climate change but I don't believe in the official narrative.

Tunnelcat, you're right about me. Jesus said he would save Adam 5,500 years into the future. Most people think it's the year 2022 but it's actually the year 500 or something like that. :)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Burlyman wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:59 pm Tunnelcat, you're right about me. Jesus said he would save Adam 5,500 years into the future. Most people think it's the year 2022 but it's actually the year 500 or something like that. :)
How do we even know that? Jesus never wrote anything on his own, except maby to save a woman from being stoned. Every quote attributed to Him was coined and written by other men long after his death. That fact makes nearly all quotes attributed to Jesus as suspect in content since they come through the lens of mortal men who's memories were tainted by the passage of centuries, bias, fear, superstition and the vagaries of history.

Personally, I don't fear climate change for myself. That train has already left the station since I'm old and will be long dead before the merde hits the fan. But more importantly, we lack the support of most conservatives to even make changes, people who are self-centered, hedonistic, greedy, nationalistic, racist, sometimes outright crazy and only live for the NOW, believing like the self-centered jackasses they are that their souls will be saved in the afterlife all because they gave themselves to Jesus and that's what counts. In other words, they don't care about the continuation of actual LIFE in the here and now, only their supposed lives in the hearafter, so they don't give a rat's ass about the future of humanity. Not even for their own children, except for the unborn who will get to live in their future man-made apocalypse. Oh, they'd rather worry that the "left" is destroying the country and taking away their guns and are willing to dole out messianic love for a self-serving power hungry autocrat in order to achieve their goal of destroying those they hate, who by the way, are their fellow countrymen who make up half this nation. But that's a twisted logic that has no basis in reality. What did God say about worshipping false idols? The cold hard truth is that all of humanity will be eventually be slowly destroyed down the road as "those" people stick their heads in the sand, stand their ground and refuse to even make an effort to save the planet for later generations. In other words, their bottom dollar and living enjoyment is more important to them than keeping our planet sustainable for generations to come. I wonder what Jesus would say about that? I'm pretty confident that he'd be weeping in despair.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

What makes you think Jesus would say anything other than everything will be ok because God is in control?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

If God is in control, he's sorely disappointed with his first attempt at intelligent life and wants us gone so He can start over. Right now, He's just waiting for all of us to perform our own self extinction, because as a species, we're an epic failure. :mrgreen:

And from what I've read about Jesus, He cared, if any texts about Him are to be believed. If not, He was a liar.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Just to be clear, I was referring to global warming, not in control of people because we are supposed to have free will.

And yes I agree humans are an epic failure...something I never thought I would say...
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

If American religious conservatives actually believed the whole 'we don't have to do anything about climate change because God will take care of it' excuse, then in order to be consistent, they would have to demand that we immediately disband our military and cut all spending on it, as we could just pray and God would handle our national defense. :roll:
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

No, because war falls under free will.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

It's also free will for humanity to continue to turn our planet into a festering toilet too.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Tunnelcat wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:13 am It's also free will for humanity to continue to turn our planet into a festering toilet too.
Exactly. Isn't there a verse in the book of Revelation about how God hates people who harm the Earth?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I had to look it up since I'm not a reader of the Bible. So yeah, kind of and I did get some of this crap preached to me from my sister. It's a statement at the end of Revelations 11:18, but I think Bible thumpers are taking that statement as the Rapture, the End Times, where God will take His chosen into heaven and save them. What these idiots seem to believe is that they're special and will be taken into heaven all because they believe in Jesus, even through they're destroying the earth like a bunch of hedonists while living. In fact, the fervent ones base their entire lives on eschatology, so I'm guessing by extension they'd want to destroy the earth to speed up that process. So if God cares, does He make exceptions for earth destroyers all because they believe they will be saved and go to heaven, PLUS they'll get a new earth to rape and pillage in the future? If God has a modicum of intelligence, I'd think hypocrisy and hedonism would not be high on His list of favored human behaviors to be rewarded with a little trip to heaven. Just sayin'. :wink:

https://www.therebeljesus.net/post/god- ... n-11-17-18
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Why not pray to Jesus (and test the spirits) and find out if He approves of what was written in the Bible? Fair warning though: the epistle to the Hebrews says that anyone who wishes to find God must believe He exists and He rewards those who seek Him. Paraphrasing here. Don't stop praying until you get an answer.

Wang, what's so bad about God being our King and protecting us? People took all the jobs and now even angels almost never come around.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Even Jesus said that you can't just do any crazy dangerous or foolish thing and expect God to always save you.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Here I go again, breaking one of my rules. Here's an idea Neo, instead of lecturing people about God because it clearly isn't working here. How about you shut up, do things in secret and start praying for people here. If you truly are a man of God, you should stop passing ★■◆●ing judgment and do what Jesus has repeatedly stated in the Bible.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Bible-thumpers tend to be the types that spend very little time actually reading what Jesus said.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Climate change is real, and it's happening. More data than one can read in a year backs it up.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Burlyman wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:46 pm Why not pray to Jesus (and test the spirits) and find out if He approves of what was written in the Bible? Fair warning though: the epistle to the Hebrews says that anyone who wishes to find God must believe He exists and He rewards those who seek Him. Paraphrasing here. Don't stop praying until you get an answer.

Wang, what's so bad about God being our King and protecting us? People took all the jobs and now even angels almost never come around.
Jesus is clearly not answering and neither is God. Most of Jesus' modern followers don't even follow his teachings, EXCEPT that one part saying they'll all be SAVED just by believing and giving themselves unto Jesus, while at the same time they ignore or justify all the other hateful evil hedonistic crap they dump on the rest of humanity in the name of the Bible. What an effing cop out. In other words, they worry only about making sure they get themselves a place in heaven, not about taking care of the earth or the people that live on it now or into the future. If these people are followers of God, I want no part of them. They are evil wrapped in sanctimony.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Jesus answered me. I don't know why you can't get an answer. Maybe you're already condemned?

Top Gun, I could easily prove to you that you're wrong about Jesus but you should already know why just by reading the gospels.

TigerRaptorFX, why don't you try being a little nicer for a change?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Burlyman wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:33 am Jesus answered me. I don't know why you can't get an answer. Maybe you're already condemned?
That little voice you're hearing isn't Jesus, it's a sign that you should be on schizo meds.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

You don't want to warrant that kind of response, then stop being you.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I would really have liked to meet Neo in person at a LAN or other gathering but I doubt that was ever in the cards - especially after all of their shenanigans. It's sad really, they would have been accepted - this community was originally founded and sustained on in-person interaction as much as online interactions and has been traditionally very accepting. We even treat Ferno nice in person ffs.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Ferno is the only one who isn't a part of your video game forum front group. :P
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

wow Neo is still around, I thought you fell into the oblivion of 4Chan

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Hey, Bubba :) I don't visit such places. x_x
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

After all these years. Howdy Doody here still puts on a show.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Krom wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:57 pm I'm hoping the oceans rise at least enough to wipe Florida off the map, good riddance. Even better if it drowns Ron DeSantis, although I would feel a little bad about leaving him in the ocean, cuz, you know, he is toxic waste.
It looks like you're getting your wish. 2 big hurricanes this year and now the state's beaches and infrastructure are either washing out to sea or becoming a flooded Venice year around. DeSantis is going to have to wall off the sea like Holland does just to keep the water out. Maybe that'll keep him out of OUR hair in 2024. :P