Truthbomb

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Truthbomb

Post by Burlyman »

--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Truthbomb

Post by Tunnelcat »

https://www.wordnik.com/words/bigot

One of the definitions from the above link. Do you fit this definition? Are you a rigid originalist to the meanings and teachings in the Bible and consider them as cold hard facts that are never to be questioned? My sister certainly falls into this category.

BIGOT:

noun - A person who regards his own faith and views in matters of religion as unquestionably right, and any belief or opinion opposed to or differing from them as unreasonable or wicked. In an extended sense, a person who is intolerant of opinions which conflict with his own, as in politics or morals; one obstinately and blindly devoted to his own church, party, belief, or opinion.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

No, not everyone, but a shitload of people fit the bill.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'm curious if Burlyman thinks he DOESN'T fit this bill and why?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Quote is from an evangelical Baptist who wants to indoctrinate kids.

"I try to help churches see that they have a lot more in common with the next generation than they might realize,” he said. “There are some unique things about this group. They have known technology all their lives, and the reality of family breakdown is a dominant theme for them. But just like everyone else they need to know they are sinners, that there is a Savior. They can know Him, and they can be discipled."
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

Sometimes, people are willing to kindly share (their, not necessarily THE) truth with you and disagree with you, because they actually love (use of word to make self look benevolent) you enough to do so.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

"The What" there's only one truth. Look up the word true or truth in the dictionary and you'll see it means if one thing is true everything else is false. You probably think of people who love you as not benevolent because you don't like what they're saying, like so many others.
GCIDE wrote:The GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English, or GCIDE for short, is a free dictionary derived from
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary and supplemented with some new definitions, in particular from WordNet.

The dictionary is created by Patrick J. Cassidy, and proof-read and supplemented by volunteers from around the world.
Apparently, tunnelcat is trying to use new "definitions" to try to label me as a bigot. lol
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Burlyman, your first statement is false. There is no "one truth". The Bible is not the truth. Your idea of God is not the truth. Jesus is not the truth. Jesus wasn't even written about by the Gospels until 40 to 60 years after his supposed death. That's a lot of time to forget or make up details for any human. Even science doesn't have truths. Everything in the world described by humans should be called theory, conjecture, observable details or influenced by emotions, like love, fear, hate or opinion. The Bible is not "the truth". History is not the written truth either since the writers and victors always introduce their opinions of what happened. The Bible's myriad translations over time introduced falsehoods or mistruths, some of that perhaps intentional. It's an opinion piece created by long dead authors who knew nothing of science or fact finding, but lived during a time when people constantly feared the dark and death and sought to explain it using superstition to bolster their beliefs. Then over time, that tome has be re-translated into a long, fantastical and yes, bigoted story colored by the fear, hate and love of men. Human beings, not God.

As for the word "bigot", even it has religious origins. And the definition I posted is based on an old etymology and is not a modern alteration. That fact you believe you're right and everyone else is wrong makes you a bigot, so wear the word proudly like most religious bigots tend to do, because they tend to be unwavering in their faith. Faith always suplants the truth with believers.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/bigot/
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

I don't know how else to tell you that relativism doesn't make sense. You say I'm intolerant but you're intolerant of Christians. lol
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ya got me there. However, I no more wish to tell you that you can't be a Christian and harbor your own beliefs than you telling me I can't be transgender and live the way I wish without fear. You have your "opinion", not facts, and I have mine and this is a free country. So tell your church groups that banning books in public institutions is nothing but creeping religious-based Fascism and stop sending armed Nazis to peaceful events to intimidate people like a bunch of thugs. If Jesus were here today, he'd be appalled at what his followers are doing. I don't support outlawing religious freedom, but I do support your religion NOT making laws against me or anyone like me because you believe in utter nonsense written millennia ago as fact. This country is not a theocracy and never EVER should be. We fought a revolution to separate ourselves from the Iron fist of the Church of England, or have Christians forgotten that historical detail in this country?
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

I've talked to the Lord and He says it's sin. He would say that they think they know His creation better than He does. He doesn't talk about "opinions." You can be transgender but you'll burn in hell for eternity. Or you could get God's gift of eternal life. Your choice. You all believe in some sort of business-friendly hippie Jesus, and that's not the Jesus I know. I'm not going to alter the gospel to suit sinners.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

There is no way in heaven or hell that the Jesus of the Gospels would give any sort of divine revelation to someone as hateful as you.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Some people are born with easily corrected birth defects like a cleft palate, are the doctors sinners for fixing those?
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Does the birth defect cause the person who has it to sin?
Top Gun wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:52 pm There is no way in heaven or hell that the Jesus of the Gospels would give any sort of divine revelation to someone as hateful as you.
I don't hate anybody.
Zero, Behemoth, FOIL, Terminal, Neo. The greatest pilots in the universe. :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Burlyman wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:58 pm I've talked to the Lord and He says it's sin. He would say that they think they know His creation better than He does. He doesn't talk about "opinions." You can be transgender but you'll burn in hell for eternity. Or you could get God's gift of eternal life. Your choice. You all believe in some sort of business-friendly hippie Jesus, and that's not the Jesus I know. I'm not going to alter the gospel to suit sinners.
That's your "opinion". Just as the Earth was created in 6 days, it's only 6000 years old, dinosaurs and humans existed together and the Great Flood wiped out all life on earth except for the paltry few stuffed onto a large wooden boat. Noah didn't include those dinosaurs either. Uh huh. None of that is even remotely plausible.

Oh, and now us sinners and non-believers have to take up the slack for those Christians who want Sunday off to laze around while we keep the economy going on our backs.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/supre ... s-61913a6c
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Neo wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:41 am Does the birth defect cause the person who has it to sin?
Top Gun wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:52 pm There is no way in heaven or hell that the Jesus of the Gospels would give any sort of divine revelation to someone as hateful as you.
I don't hate anybody.
If you consider 'tampering with God's design' to be a sin, then fixing it would be one.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Which begs the question, why did God create birth defects in the first place?
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Tunnelcat wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:02 pm Which begs the question, why did God create birth defects in the first place?
They usually excuse it with some excuse about the Fall and the Serpent and stuff... but that same argument could be used to say that that's the reason why some people are born in the wrong sex bodies too.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

How convenient. I'd like to ask Burlyman why he thinks I'm going to burn in hell for the lowly desire of wanting my brain to match my body. Because of societal pressures, I've gone against the desire to correct my defect medically. So I conformed as a "normie" and I've never had premarital or homosexual sex and have always been monogamous to my partner all my life. Is the very thought of changing my sex to match my brain a reason to be condemned to hell?