My new instrument (I shall fulfill my dream)

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: My new instrument (I shall fulfill my dream)

Post by TheWhat »

vision wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:32 pm Thought I would share some of my work:

I like this piece because I achieved something I have been working toward for a while. In a world of effects plugins, virtual instruments, and software guitar rigs, I managed to record something that uses almost nothing. Every instrument is recorded directly into my audio interface with no amps/effects in-between. With the exception of one guitar there isn't any equalization. The tremolo guitar has subtle delay plugin and there is a reverb channel to put everything in some sort of cohesive space, but that's it. This is the most minimal use of digital audio processing I've ever done. (Note: drums and synth come from a Yamaha RY9)
Hey! I just noticed this. This is good stuff. The guitars sound great direct.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

TheWhat wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:54 pmThe guitars sound great direct.
Thanks. It's my belief that if a guitar doesn't sound great without anything coloring the sound (including an amp) then the guitar still needs work.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

It’s true. The source has to be good (great) or you’re just putting a silk hat on a pig. Between getting a real 88 key controller and an absurd Minnesota winter (podcasts while shoveling by hand) I haven’t been playing much guitars.

My rabbit hole has been entry level string orchestra stuff (kontakt full) samples. It’s not Mozart, it’s not Bach: it’s Mock. Vi control has been my library/classroom and hooooboy some of those people really know their stuff. I don’t act a fool on there, I just ask questions. And if it’s a bad question you’ll get no answer at all. Not a descentland go ★■◆● yourself you waste of space monkey pox spreader why don’t you tongue kiss your mail order bride in front of your mother type answers.

So yeah. It’s nice to hear your chord progressions and clean tracking approach!
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

Vision, have you tried this thing? It says it works in linux. It's pretty neat because I need another synth!
https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

TheWhat wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amVision, have you tried this thing? It says it works in linux.
Oh wow, thanks for pointing this out. I'll see if I can try it out sometime next week. I haven't been using soft-synths for a few years because I like playing with my hardware synths, but I just realized I only have like two or three synth plugins that are working on my machine.

EDIT: I just played around with Surge a bit and I'm pretty excited to write something with it. Lots of presets, lots of good presets, which is what I'm looking for in a synth these days since I don't have the time or patience to synthesize sounds from scratch these days. I'm haven't written any proper electronic music in a long time, this might get me going.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Vision I think you said something about being back in Illinois; if so, this might interest you.

https://oshows.com/
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

TigerRaptor wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:08 pmVision I think you said something about being back in Illinois; if so, this might interest you.
Yeah I'm back in that area. My friends have gone to see shows at some of these clubs and I'm pretty sure the CEO's son (or brother?) went to my high school and graduated a year before me. My friends might have actually hung out with him a bunch. Small world.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

In case you give a rat’s ass. Last spring I finally obtained a full version of Native Instruments Kontakt. The world’s most popular sampler! Even with some of its issues owning a copy really opens up a world of free sample libraries or (even better) betas of cool ★■◆● as just about anyone with enough patience and organizational skills can make a library.

I bought this for $9 bux and it’s awesome from a fun developer. Filth!
https://www.sound-dust.com/dustengine1

And I was given the final beta of this by the developers (no stealing involved). It is sounds recorded to VHS and then sampled for the library. I didn’t like it at first because I couldn’t get down with the GUI - after a second go I’m in love - into dirty grit samples and Wrongtools are real masters out of Norway.

https://wrongtools.com/kontakt-instrume ... g-fingers/

Fun noisey noises noise
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

TheWhat wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:49 pmFilth!
Oh man that sounds incredible. The demo video was annoying to watch but the patches are great. I love noise. Made me think of a favorite VSTi: Chimera by Majken. It's not lo-fi like that dust-engine, but it's a lot of shaping of white noise. Absolutely heavenly.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

Oh my I forgot about the annoying sound dust walkthrough! It really is a neat library once you figure out how it works - I’ve been layering it with string libraries. It’s cool.

Yeah, some of these walkthrough YouTube videos are pretty annoying. It’s either guitar center salesman Chad or aren’t I a goofy British guy talking too much.

I guess what I’m getting at is you can be kind of a bargain shopper if you have Kontakt.

Oh neat, wrong tools is going to use the clip I made with the Crouching Fingers beta. The library’s theme is 1980’s martial arts movies/video games with lofi vhs tone - well here ya go!
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Those percussion sounds are pretty great.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

I'm going to check out one of these next. I think Apeiron is a more balanced library but With the Lows has some wicked patches that can ruin monitors. Cool boutique sound design company.

"Apeiron"

"With the Lows"

Parameters
https://wrongtools.com/handbook/
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

I bought this one (Drift_003) from Sound Dust for $29 bux. It says it's "Ai voices" but I don't know what that means exactly. It's really weird but I like it - I have a lot of standard piano, string, choir samples that are meant to capture the instrument as is - it's sometimes fun to buy libraries that twist things into what the hell is that land just because. 132 single presets, 33 multi-instance presets "multis" in the library. You can of course make your own using 11 base samples that you can slow down, add this that and the other. Cool company (1 guy), I didn't know he actually released a library with Spitfire Audio like 4 years ago but must've decided to go it alone.

This is one of the 11 raw samples called "In Yun". It's a D major with an A in the bass held so you can hear the sample evolve.

Me dick around with chords. This multi-preset is called "Triplespeak1".

DRIFT003_Sound Dust
https://www.sound-dust.com/drift003