San Fran wakes up

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

San Fran wakes up

Post by woodchip »

Seems SF is cutting benefits to the homeless. Guess the good burgers finally realised too much honey attracts only blow flies. Now the question is...where will the free loaders go next? (there now, I've conformed to Drakonas 3 sentence rule)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

They can go west.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Testiculese wrote:They can go west.
Lol :D
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Thats cold man, very cold.

What they need is job placement programs and a place where they can shower. Maybe a clean set of clothes. If they go nowhere, thats their fault.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

I don't think a lot of homeless people want a job. I think a lot them prefer being homeless to working.
Herculosis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Herculosis »

Birdseye wrote:I don't think a lot of homeless people want a job. I think a lot them prefer being homeless to working.
We'll make a conservative out of you yet, B
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

I'm already in the real conservative party, the libertarians. Registered and voting for president Badnarik
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Birdseye wrote:I don't think a lot of homeless people want a job. I think a lot them prefer being homeless to working.
I work as a counselor for a program that distributes food to people who are 'temporarily' out of work. Part of my job is to assess what the financial problem is and to suggest remedies.

I have been doing this for 9 years now and I have a good idea of the number of freeloaders that come in looking for a free week's worth of groceries. It turns out that roughly 6 to 7 out of every 10 people that come in are such ... freeloaders.

While 6 or 7 are lazy @$$ed good fer nuttin freeloaders ... when we take the attitude that Birdseye expresses here then they get what is coming to them. However, there are 3 to 4 people that need and deserve our help. These people get lost in the noise and end up perpetually on the welfare roster when they would much prefer to have a job and earn their own money.

As a counselor I am responsible for assessing the bu||sh|t factor for each person that I interview. I do a good job of it and the others that counsel with me do a good job too. If we detect a bu||chitter then we ask them not to come back and document them in our files.

My point is ... why can't we, as a nation, come up with some sort of system that works similar to this one?

Well, the conservatives don't want it because it costs too much money (money out of their own pockets). They are too greedy to help ...

The liberal democrats don't want it because solving the poverty problem eliminates the power that they have over people. They are to controlling to help ...

Is there any party that gives a sh|t about those that need help? If so then let me know and I will vote for them. Otherwise I will have to bite my tongue and vote for whom I feel is the lesser of the two evils ...
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Ice, I'm on the same page as you. I said most. The trouble is, like you suggest, finding those that want to change but can't.

Do you have some more insight on how to change things?
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I have no clue how ... I don't think any party other than the Republicans or Democrats have a snowball's chance in he|| of winning. The Republicans don't want to spend the money ... the Democrats don't want their voter cocaine to dry up ...

[edit] I have no clue how to get the government to do this. However, I do think that if more people would take up the cause a lot of people could be helped. Maybe it'll have to be a grass roots thing ...
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Ice... Republicans are totally down with spending money to help the poor. They just would rather do it themselves than have the government do it -- I'd rather give directly to a food bank than have the government give 10% of it to a food bank and spend 90% of it in overhead. (Overall, Red states outdo Blue states in terms of per-capita and per-income charitable giving by a pretty good margin -- we're not greedy, we just would rather give to charity on our own than have the government force us to.)

I think this is where Bush's "faith based initiatives" thing would really help out. I know a ton of food banks (etc.) that are funded by churches and similar organizations, and a lot of them are not eligible for federal funds. If the government was willing to create a program wherein they'd work with these groups -- giving them more funding and access to certain resources if they're willing to be accountable in certain ways -- we could create the "national" program you're looking for simply by connecting the local groups already available and making sure they're all on the same page in terms of how they deal with freeloaders.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Govt. programs don't work to expectations. How long ago was the War on Poverty initiative started? Is poverty eradicated here in the states? No.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Take the answer to this in the drugs thread, wood--The same thing has been done with the WoD and that's not working. What do think about that?
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Lothar wrote:I know a ton of food banks (etc.) that are funded by churches and similar organizations, and a lot of them are not eligible for federal funds. If the government was willing to create a program wherein they'd work with these groups -- giving them more funding and access to certain resources ...
I am all for that and I am sure that my church (who is funding this) would use such funding wisely.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Here in Portland, the homeless are a really mixed bag of people.

Some are lazy. Many suffer from some form of mental illness and are really barely capable of making a life for themselves. Some are or were well to do families or people that were perfessionals but were victims of Down-sizing or outsourcing. These genuinely benifit from help programs of which there are a number of here in Portland. There are those that have been homeless for so long that they are comfortable with it and extremem change such as getting a job and residence would be nearly too much of a shock, much like those getting out of prison after being locked up for 10 to 30 years.

I really believe that taking care of people, homeless or otherwise, is the communities responcibility. ergo (?) everyones.

The company I work for contributes to the state food bank every year and are in competition with our sister companies; about 10 of them. Last year, we donated something like 23 tons of food. The extreme weight as much of it was canned. Pallets of food. .. the sotres lock up now when they here we're on the move. ;)
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Birdseye wrote:Take the answer to this in the drugs thread, wood--The same thing has been done with the WoD and that's not working. What do think about that?
Same same
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

Woodchip:
Govt. programs don't work to expectations. How long ago was the War on Poverty initiative started? Is poverty eradicated here in the states? No.
The war on terror seems to fit that catagory too. IMHO :wink:
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Yeah, youre right ... Lets just quit and let the terrorists have their way.