Descent 1 IPX vs. WIN2K

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
dlightful
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Descent 1 IPX vs. WIN2K

Post by dlightful »

I;ve been working on this for about 3 days, trying to get my networked WIN2K boxes to recognize IPX when running descent. I get some error message "no ipx adapter detected" in-game. I've just finished installing the NWlink network adapter on all the machines, but haven't had success getting the game to recognize NICs. Does anyone know the "magic setting" or have some sort of patch to rectify the problem?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

IPX is a network protocol. You must have it installed, and usually it is not installed by default. Check your network protocols.

Kali can be used to play games over IPX without the protocol installed, however I'm not 100% sure that you won't be forced to have 'internet ping' on LAN if it is your intention to play the game with others on your LAN.

This post probably should go to the tech forum, though, because a lot of the more knowledgable people don't seem to check the Multi forum all that often if at all.
pATCheS
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pATCheS »

You aren't using DOS D1, are you? You're screwed if you are, you need to run it under Win98SE, or get a win32 version of D1 that can play over the network (I don't know anyone I can play on a LAN with, and I've had no luck getting a win32 Descent to work with Kali). There are others elsewhere who can probably help you better than I, and the tech forum is a good place to go for said help.
Lanjoe9
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent2 vs Win2K

Post by Lanjoe9 »

I've got Descent2 for windoze and I can't get it to see any games, this happened around the time I got SP4.
I remember I had ping enabled (I hate not being able to ping computers), I'll check again, perhaps SP4 disabled it (the incredible security :roll: )
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

IPX is hidden from DOS programs unless they were started from Kali.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re: Descent2 vs Win2K

Post by MD-2389 »

Lanjoe9 wrote:I've got Descent2 for windoze and I can't get it to see any games, this happened around the time I got SP4.
I remember I had ping enabled (I hate not being able to ping computers), I'll check again, perhaps SP4 disabled it (the incredible security :roll: )
http://www.icculus.org/d2x/bin/d2x-cvs- ... _mingw.zip

Be healed. :) Just be sure to read the install text file so you can get the updated DLL files.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I'm running WinXP, which is fairly similar if not worse, and can get Descent 1 running fine... but only 1.5. D1x doesn't work at all because of its video routines. (Windows gets irritated when you use near-pointer access or something like that...)

Well, D1x 1.43 works, but I've never tried it over Kali. On the other hand, with the use of a little tool called VDMSound, D1 1.5 did, as far as I remember.

D1x -may- work under DosBox, actually, if it can emulate video as well...
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

D1 does work under DosBox, but at about 1 frame per second :P. D1X should work under Kali, though.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Top Gun wrote:D1 does work under DosBox, but at about 1 frame per second :P.
Last time I tried it, it ran like a ★■◆●ing slideshow screen saver. ;) Dosbox doesn't like dos4gw.
D1X should work under Kali, though.
It does. Quite well actually. Just be sure to use the -nicefps parameter.